• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

another ebay treasure

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For $49,000 "The finest paint job ever performed" better come with a nubile bikini model to stay in my house and polish it every day... and make me a turkey pot pie.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I am definately going to list my 69 MK3. Mine has the 2nd finest paint, I am serious, maybe I will get the left overs.
P S,Mine only comes with a kitten.

R

Randi

Wow! and did you see the picture-there were 3 more just like it parked under PINE TREES oops sap on that paint job-back to the body shop! Now I have something to spend my Nigerian fortune on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gifRandi

Radford

Jedi Knight
Now if that were the finest early E-type lurking back to the left, under the trees, I'd be thinking ,sure OK maybe just maybe...

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Congrats, ebayer, you have $65,000 into a trailer and a #1 condition '63 Spitfire with a book value of $15,500.

When will people realize that the amount of money sunk into a car is independent of the car's value? The value of a car is the market for cars in that final condition -- which for the nicest early Spitfire is $15,500.

He probably should have spent all that money restoring a XK120 or a flat-floor E-Type.

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow...wants more than 10X what it cost new!!! Nice looking car, but not worth nearly what they want. Funny thing tho is that they have a 100% feedback rating. Of course, if they don't sell it, then they won't get feedback on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

PS...My personal crusade against the "one of 9 1981 TR7s made" was successful...this time not a single bidder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Well, I think I'm going into the "no expense spared" restoration business. Just send me your car, a few blank/signed checks and I'll return a show winner to you in a couple years time!

To make $49K seem a little more like a bargain... Ever watch American Hot Rod and see all those Boyd Coddington creations? They are no doubt fine and very well built cars, but usually mostly new replica parts bolted together, except possibly a highly modified original body.

Bet you can't drive away one of Boyd's cars for less than $100,000. In fact, I'd bet most of them go for 1.5X or 2X that... or more.

Hmmm. I think I'll call my restoration shop "NOS", since it seems such a popular term on our favorite auction website.

(BTW, I see a pair of Weber carb mounting kits selling for $60... APT sells them for half that, without having to wait for the auction to end!)

Alan

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Funny thing tho is that they have a 100% feedback rating...

[/ QUOTE ]

Selling coins to collectors.

I think he is about to find out that old coins and old cars are two very different things.

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
I just don't get it. Thats an awful lot of mony to spend on a car to just sit and look at it.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
by the way, in the pix of the tub upside down,check out where the floors meet the rockers.Easier to see on the right hand side.

huck6

Jedi Trainee
Maybe his wife said "Put is up for sale or else!" and he did. Is it his fault that no one wanted it? :smile:

Radford

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
by the way, in the pix of the tub upside down,check out where the floors meet the rockers.Easier to see on the right hand side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't you know that is the rare and highly sought after "floor drain" factory mod. Something on the order of 10 Mark 1 cars got this mod and this is the only blue one. Really, with that degree of rarity this is a bargin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

urchin

Jedi Trainee
I had a '63 Spitfire, purchased in 1967 with a hole in bell housing from where the P.O. blew up the clutch. It was my $600 college car and I loved it. I drove it tens of thousands of miles from Vermont [where I went to college] to home on Cape Cod, in all seasons. I loved the car but I remember it as pleasantly primitive. It's a lot closer in creature comforts to my '66 Land Rover than it is to my '80 TR-7 Spider.

Now, I've always wanted to find an original model Spitfire. I really do enjoy them. However, nothing, nothing, in any automotive engineering logic makes a '63 Spitfire -even with the optional wire wheels - worth $49,000.

The ad reminded me, though, of a Series Land Rover offered for sale at the British Invasion event in Stowe, VT, two years ago. The owner had put a lot of cash into his Land Rover and the results were mixed. However, his sign in the "car corral" read "$40,000 or best offer." That would be more realistic than a $40,000 floor on a $2,100 [new] car.

Jeff

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I was going to make a comment on this one, but y'all beat me to it. I got nervous for a moment when I first saw this listing (since I'm saving up for a LBC right now) thinking that the market had really taken off in the last week...

...then I came back to reality. Geesh. A case of true automotive value cluelessness. I've been watching the auction to see if anyone is silly enough to bid.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
A friend of mine this weekend sold a very well restored 2 owner TR6 with overdrive and hardtop for $22,000 Canadian.
It was magenta in colour, a sort of mauve, which would not have appealed to some people, but it really was an excellent car, appraised value $30k.
I would have trouble paying the cost of a decent modern car and a nice TR6 for a Spitfire!
Simon.

Winston

Jedi Trainee
He did'nt even bother to try to evoke the original battery, at the very least you should get an Optima for 40 large.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've been watching the auction to see if anyone is silly enough to bid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my good friend Colonel Njumbo Btsisi from the Lagos branch of Pre-owned Mechanical Transport Dealers has surely contacted the seller by now.

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been watching the auction to see if anyone is silly enough to bid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my good friend Colonel Njumbo Btsisi from the Lagos branch of Pre-owned Mechanical Transport Dealers has surely contacted the seller by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

~snort~