• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Roll bar question

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
so if I wanted to take the BE out to an autocross event, just to screw around and nothing serious, what are the requirements for a roll bar? Any idea where I can find that info? I assume if I wanted to take it to a track for a driving school day such as what they have at Thunderhill Raceway over here, I would need a full roll cage??

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Your best bet is an ~Autopower Roll Bar~ or something that is constructed in a very similar manner. A four point bar would be the very minimum and an extra diagonal or horizontal brace is always a good idea. You won't need a full roll cage for autocross (in fact a lot of vintage racer clubs do not require a full cage).

Don't forget to consider the shoulder harness mounts. A horizontal "harness bar" welded to the roll bar is probably the best place to mount these in a Sprite (the best position for shoulder harness mounts is at shoulder height and the mounts should <span style="text-decoration: underline">never</span> more than an inch or two below your seated shoulder height)

Typically, the roll bar needs to extend above your helmet (generally, the rule is 2" above your helmet, but some autocross clubs may be less strict on this).

The good thing about a Bugeye is that you don't have a folding top. It's easier to fit your top on even if the roll bar is a bit "high" in the car (and high is good since it offers more protection).
Depending on the car, you may still have to remove seat padding or change the seat to get yourself sufficiently low enough in the car. I had to do that in my street Miata (partly due to the fact that my roll bar has to be low enough to clear my folding top frame).

All of the above if just general info to get you started on this. I would suggest that you actually go to a local autocross and check out the cars. Talk to the drivers and club officials. It's always best to get this kind of info from the horse's mouth.

By the way, I've seen a few clubs that do not require a roll bar in open cars. I think this is a bad idea, but there are groups that allow this.

nomad

Yoda
If you are on smooth pavement with nothing to hit but cones and everyone is running street tires, are they really necessary??

Kurt.

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
nomad said:
If you are on smooth pavement with nothing to hit but cones and everyone is running street tires, are they really necessary??

Kurt.

I'd say yes, emphatically. And I'll add, "Nothing to hit but cones and the pavement itself."

Once, and quite a long time ago I'll admit, I had my Bugeye out for a "spirited" drive. Unbeknownst to me, my left rear tire was slowly going down. Keep in mind it was not flat but soft. I entered into a right hander much like I'd expect at any autocross event and the right side of the car felt like it shot up into the air fully intending to end up upside down.

Luckily my natural instinct was to undo what I'd done and brought the car back down on all four, albeit rather hard, without rolling.

Someone was watching over me and did not allow my spirited driving and my immature mistake to kill or maim me during this incident. I, and my street driving, grew up a lot that day! And I learned a healthy respect for unknown or unanticipated circumstances and the potential results -- dastardly as they may be!!

Best wishes your way,

Tim Hollister

PS: Thirty-some years later I got into wheel to wheel road racing with the proper prep and safety gear. In many races, I've never been as afraid as I was during the incident relayed above!

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I already have the 4 point roll bar in the car, so thats good to know that will be enough for some groups. The roller I am building is a retired scca racer from the 70's and has a hoop behind the driver, with 3 points of attachment, one going though the boot body. I was thinking of keeping that one as it looks pretty cool and vintage. It also has an eyelet welded to it for a harness of sorts. But it would be worthless to keep in there if I cant use the car with it in there for autocross.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Never heard of a roll bar disqualifying one from anything to do with racing.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Its more about the minimum required to to compete and meeting that minimum.

Jedi Trainee
When (what year) did the SCCA start requiring ROLL BARS for Autocross (SOLO)? :wall:

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Unless the roll bar is removable, you can't use a full toneau and will have to put the top up. My "new" midget has one that I removed so I can work on it. I am thinking of cutting and sleaving it before I put it back on so I can remove some pins and slide out the upper portion when I don't want it.