• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hi, all - pics of my new BN4 in gallery.

cbrvfr

I'll try to post them here as well, if that's allowed..

22984.jpg

22983.jpg

I spent the weekend driving around in my enormous Chevy van that is visible from space - I delivered a motorcycle that I sold to a friend in Indiana, then drove to St Louis to see a BN4 that looked spectacular in the photos, but less so in the bright light of day. It had carburetion problems, loading and popping under full acceleration, and I was underwhelmed at the way it felt, so I carried on another 9 hours and saw this one in Ohio. The owner had spent the last 20 years making it as original as possible, with the exception of the chrome wires. Rebuilt everything, and clearly cherished.

Presuming we can get the paperwork finished this week, I may try to fly down there and drive it home next weekend.

There's not much to do to this car other than drive it, it only has 76000 miles. I'll be asking a lot of questions, though.

Country flag
Nice! You'll have to join the Southeast Michigan Chapter of the Austin-Healey Club of America, of which I am a member.

Please plan to bring it down to the Toledo area for the Fort Meigs All British Car Show, always held the first Sunday in June. Ft Meigs is in Perrysburg, Ohio.

OP
cbrvfr

cbrvfr

Randy Forbes said:
Nice! You'll have to join the Southeast Michigan Chapter of the Austin-Healey Club of America, of which I am a member.

Please plan to bring it down to the Toledo area for the Fort Meigs All British Car Show, always held the first Sunday in June. Ft Meigs is in Perrysburg, Ohio.

That sounds fun, Randy -it will be good to meet you.

Jim, it's a 1958, (built in 57 but titled in 58 - I guess that wasn't uncommon..)

Dave

Country flag
cbrvfr said:
Jim, it's a 1958, (built in 57 but titled in 58 - I guess that wasn't uncommon..)

Dave
Mine was built in 1958, but has been titled as a 1957 since before I bought it, over thirty-two (>32) years ago.

Yes, weird stuff...

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice car
Can you add engine bay and interiors photos
- and if possible chassis Numbers??
it probably is BN4 L O 4..... as mine
Cheers
Andrea

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice looking car with all the features of that model. Drivers door lock, bonnet ridge and conical reflectors.

Do you know the C/E number. Built in 57 registered in 58 means it has all the old style Longridge features but it should have the six port head with 1 3/4 inch carbs. Plus it may very well have originally had a Morris Green painted engine and gearbox, although if restored it's probable the owner repainted it in the more normal light green colour. Would appreciate if you could let me know.

OP
cbrvfr

cbrvfr

I'll shoot detailed pics and look through the volumes of documentation for those answers when I drive it home, hopefully next weekend. The VIN is, as you guessed Andrea, BN4L042762.

OP
cbrvfr

cbrvfr

I got to bring the car home yesterday, driving about 250 miles and taking the back roads and scenic routes as much as possible.

OK, honestly, I decided it would be more prudent to trailer it, so I junked my plan to rent a one-way car and rented an auto hauler trailer instead for my van. Stop me if you've heard this one... "we don't need your stinking trailer."

Yeah, the U-haul trailer was incompatible, so good-news/bad news. Driving the Healey home was necessary, and wonderful. I dodged a few raindrops but nothing that would make me put the top up. Everything worked! The sound of the engine and the baritone exhaust note was intoxicating. 5 hours in the car and I didn't get tired of that symphony.

Got home with enough light to take my wife for a half-hour jaunt on the country roads in my neighborhood. I was concerned that after her back operation it would be uncomfortable for her, but she loved it and wants to take some extended trips with it!

Then the bad news.. I had to rent a car after all and go back to collect my van today. A waste of time better spent cleaning the bugs off the Healey, but a small price to pay.

I am grateful to the previous owners for being faithful to this car. I talked to both of them, they're happy I appreciate the vehicle and won't junk it up.

A few pictures - first Andrea wanted a shot of the engine bay and the trunk.

Links to webshots.com, hope this works..

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Every once in a while, Basil plays a word guessing game for prizes. He hasn't done it in a year or so. That is what happens when you guess the right word. Guess it was never deactivated.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Dave,
Very nice BN4 ! Assuming it's a Longbridge Healey, so you need to join the
Longbridge Registry. Get hold of Rudy Streng at : CAWS52803@aol.com
This is for the 2 port head engines on the first BN4's which believe yours
would be. Some details on those different from the later big Healey's.My
BN6 is a 6 port head so not sure of all the differences.
Welcome to the insanity,
Mike