• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

and still more wiring q's-blinkers!

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
So, studying the wiring diagram (inside, it's really really cold out there) I see the flasher is powered off a green wire from the tach? Isn't that sorta weird? Also, why does the blinker warning feed run through the light switch (I don't have an OEM switch but everything worked prior to my tear down).
I'm undoing several decades of PO hacks (really wasn't too bad) and putting in a new (been sitting in a box for 20 years) harness. I'm adding relays for the headlights and horn (maybe heater blower too).
I've stripped the old bullet ends off the old harness (thanks to a timely article in the back of the most recent Moss catalog) and put them on my relay ends so I can use Lucas connectors to the OEM harness. Making it negative earth also in the process. That reminds me, so far I haven't found labels on my coil as to + and -. I know which side used to go where but I have to reverse that for the ground conversion, right? I'll figure it out. Starting to get anxious here, weather should break a bit in the next couple of weeks and I want to be ready to roll!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jvandyke said:
So, studying the wiring diagram (inside, it's really really cold out there) I see the flasher is powered off a green wire from the tach? Isn't that sorta weird?

Actually, you have it backwards - look again (I'm looking at the Haynes Manual pg 197) trace the green wire from the fusebox (power-switched-fused) it goes to the flasher and then continues to the tach. In other words, both are fed off the same wire, not through anything

jvandyke said:
Also, why does the blinker warning feed run through the light switch

Looking at the same diagram, it appears to me that the light switch controls a number of functions. Light Green appears to be direction (flasher unit) and then Light Green/Purple to feed the indicator light - likely a straight through feed. Blue (U) feeds the headlight switch low and high beam. Red feeds tailights/license plate light light and panel lights. Brown/Blue (NU) seems to power the unit from the Control Box (Brown=power-unswitched-unfused)

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Oh, yeah, I see that G straight from fuse box to flasher, must have missed that earlier, not sure why they chose that path to power the tach, but I don't NEED to know why I guess, so long at it works in the end. The wiring I took out was very creative and I didn't even try to decipher it. It bypassed the fuse block entirely. Probably explains why there were unconnected wires all over the car. I'm putting that back into service and basically returning everything to as it was intended except for adding relays.
Why the flasher warning light goes through the light switch escapes me yet but it seems I can forgo that as I don't have the single warning light on my dash. PO's PO rigged up dual lights on the dash in front of the passenger powered off the blinker toggle which I will recreate.
labeled wiring diagram here

What about that brown wire off fuse block (#1) that goes nowhere? Anyone know what's up with that? Just ends in what looks like a connector with nothing connected. I'll connect it to ground.....NOT.

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
So, can anyone tell me if there should be a green wire from the flasher to the fuse block AND a green running up through the firewall to the tach? I had one green on the flasher and it looks like a PO had spliced in a red....
flasher.jpg

I don't remember the harness having this green built into it but maybe. Trouble with the wiring schematics it isn't very relevant to physical location of devices and wiring.

PS
Nice melted grommet eh? Wonder what the story is there? Wrap was gone from 90% of the harness but the wires themselves looked okay, other than hacked up and bypassed and rerouted....

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
jvandyke said:
What about that brown wire off fuse block (#1) that goes nowhere? Anyone know what's up with that? Just ends in what looks like a connector with nothing connected. I'll connect it to ground.....NOT.

Looks like that may have been a feed line for radio, according the link to teh '66 diagram provided above.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
i think you're right about the splice - should be green - to fuse and tach/ light green to switch and light green/ brown to direction switch.

not clear if you have the schematic but it's here

https://www.spridget-tech.com/page2.html

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Just confirmed the new harness had a double green off the flasher, continuity check says it goes to the fuse block and also to tach. Big brown off A on control box goes through firewall to a ring terminal brown which is probably meant for the ammeter (though they weren't stock, harness makers must figure they were so popular they included it). It's all slowly coming together. I have lots more questions though! like why there's two white/black wires by the coil connection when there's only supposed to be one white/black from coil to distributor, suppose it's possible that is one wire going into the harness and right back out again....have to check that I guess. I checked and the two white/black are probably meant to connect coil to distributor although I have a jumper there already so to go in and out of the harness to cover 6" is a bit silly. I'll probably use it though, otherwise what do I do with those ends cut them? Heaven forbid!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
FWIW, I don't get the idea that they started fresh with wiring harnesses when body styles were changed or accessories added/ deleted. By the time you get to '76, there is the actual harness made up of everything that had gone before. Thus some stuff doesn't make sense and other stuff is just redundant - like the wires necessary before they went to electronic ignitions. There are two or three wires on mine that do not appear on any wiring diagram and they are original

OP
jvandyke

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Glad mine is so early then maybe. The wiring scheme for the MK1 is sparse compared the later cars, bested only by a BE for simplicity. I'm actually having a lot of fun doing this although working in a single digit temp garage is getting a bit (c)old. I do wonder too why my harness seems to have two sets of wires for the fuel gauge. There's a green, green/black and black with the bundle from the tach/speedo, then an extension of the harness with the same three wires running off the end. Will probably all be clear when it's time hook up the dash side of things....or not.