• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2 3/16" axle nut socket

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a source for a 2 3/16" socket to use on the axle nuts.
Ray

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Ray,
This is a repeat of a previous post:
I know there are many expedient ways to tighten the AH rear hub nuts. A 2-3/16" 12 point socket will sort of work.

Attached is a sketch of just how this socket fits the 2-13/64" 8 sided nut. In my estimation not very well & not much grip & on only four corners.

Considering that the nut "should" be tightened very tight to prevent the slip fit inner bearing from moving on the axle, I don't believe you can get the nut nearly tight enough with the makeshift socket. It's hard enough to get the needed torque with a good 8 sided socket. If the corners on the very expensive nuts get rounded off there is no way to get the nuts tight.

You can see Barney's discussion of the subject here, it applies equally to the A-H:
Barney Gaylord
https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/rearaxle/ra102.htm

You may disagree that the nuts really need to be this tight in the first place. From an enginering standpoint, Barney makes perfect sense. My own experience is similar. If the slip fit bearing inner race "does" move on the axle extension & wears it, things are in a downhill spiral. It also causes the inner seal to leak sooner. If you don't care about the car hanging together long term, or don't plan to put many miles on the car, I guess it doesn't matter.
D

Attachments

• 280110-BCFHubNut.jpg
    280110-BCFHubNut.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 194

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a source for a 2 3/16" socket to use on the axle nuts.

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes go to a truck tool supply store and ask for a Hub Nut Socket.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could borrow the very nice octagon wrench that Anthony7777 made?
D

[/ QUOTE ]

--------------------Why don't you just behave Dave "U" just wana start some trouble.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Maybe that 7777 fellow make up a few?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Ray. If I am remembering right one is a left handed thread.
Can anyone confirm this? BR1

[/ QUOTE ]

-----------------------------------Confirmed----------------------Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Ray. If I am remembering right one is a left handed thread.
Can anyone confirm this? BR1

[/ QUOTE ]
Partially correct.
The large hub retaining nuts are LH thread on the left side of the car (CW to loosen), & RH thread on the RH side of the car (CCW to Loosen).

The splined wheel knockoffs are just the opposite. RH threads on the LH side, LH threads on the RH side.
D

59BT7

Freshman Member
Country flag
Ray,
There is one on e-bay,last time I checked, it wa $50+, item # 130048786421. Ends 26 November.
No interest, etc.
Dave Duffey
Paradise, CA

59bt7, i just checked out the wrench beeing sold on e bay, it doesnt appear to be stout enought to take the kind of flailing required to loosed or tighten an axle nut especialy the small diameter bar that youd have to slip through the holes in its handle.imho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
59bt7, i just checked out the wrench beeing sold on e bay, it doesnt appear to be stout enought to take the kind of flailing required to loosed or tighten an axle nut especialy the small diameter bar that youd have to slip through the holes in its handle.imho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Have no fear it is made in germany by a very experience tool maker I have one of them too and it works a treat.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

P.S. If you want to converse with him you must speak German as he speaks no English. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

OP
R

Ray Smith

Jedi Hopeful
This ebay vendor sold one of these sockets for $200.00 plus last week. They must be made of some very exotic material.

Ray

Richard Dickinson

Jedi Trainee
Keoke:

Does the socket fit a half inch drive socket wrench, or do you have toe turn it with a rod through the small holes? BTW I bought a 12 point socket at NAPA, but after reading all the points made in this thread I may try to fabricate one. I dont see how you could accuratly torque the nut with the homemade one described previously. Besides, my axel is sitting on the shop floor and I don't think I could get enough torque on it without it being bolted to the car.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes Richard, the Hub Nut Socket fits a 1/2" drive with an adapter. The one on E-Bay uses a tommy bar. Either of them are the Bees Knees.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. You not suppose to be sittin down on the job. However,You will prolly get enough torque on that home made thing ifin you hit it with a 'BIG' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
This ebay vendor sold one of these sockets for $200.00 plus last week. They must be made of some very exotic material.

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

An the companion wrench sold for a bit over $100.00. Now how I be knowin about that??---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

keoke,seems to me you didnt have the same go-rilla tighten your nuts as my previous owner had. to bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif thats why i had to build my wrench. and yes a good point was made about torquing, thats what the ebay socket might be best for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

keoke,just curious do you know the diameter and length of the "tommy bar" used on the ebay wrench? because it better be very hefty to loosen one ah dem daar nuts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep 7777, an old style 18" Proto 3/8" Socket extension works OK. I re drilled mine to take a 1/2" extension.--Fwiw-Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Re: 2 13/64" 8 sided axle nut socket

When you check out the allowed torque on a nut of this size it comes out well over 500 lb/ft. I use a 5/8" diameter by 36" long piece of drill rod for a handle on the socket. It's easy to get 150 lb/ft torque with only about 60 pounds pull. The wrench itself must be good to keep it from slipping with this much pull.

I already gave an opinion on how tight the nuts need to be. I suspect most folks don't believe it or it just isn't convenient to get them that tight.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
keoke,seems to me you didnt have the same go-rilla tighten your nuts as my previous owner had. to bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif thats why i had to build my wrench. and yes a good point was made about torquing, thats what the ebay socket might be best for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif OH! I never fiddle with tight nuts.I put the impact wrench on them and they just come right loose.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif