• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Axle rearing up

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gents, the rear axle of my BN6 is rearing up. I took a look at the plate of the rear axle which is residing on the leaf sping. I observed that the hole of the plate in which centre bolt (toe bolt Moss Part No 725-160) is put is worn out (see attached foto). The hole is curved into the inside.

Any idea to fix the problem apart from changing the complete housing of the rear axle?

By the way: there is no mounting plate (packing piece Moss Pat No 675-445) between the leaf spring and the plate of the real axle in my car.

Volker

IMG_7692.jpg

Last edited:
OP
BN6_2197

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Volker,
You can use a longer Allen head (socket head) screw with a small bushing as a spacer.

Using the Allen Head screw as replacement of the toe bolt, right? In which direction should I place the Allen head screw into the leaf spring? The head under the leaf spring and the thread of the screw through the springs and the mounting plate of the rear axle? Or the other way round? Where exactly should the spacer to be palced?

By the way: should I insert the missing mounting plate (packing piece Moss Pat No 675-445) as well or is this not needed?

And finally: is the Allen head solution a common way to solve this problem?

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Volker,
In addition to the longer bolt head Steve suggested, you might try "pulling" the spring saddle flat again with a grade 8 bolt and nuts using whatever scrap metal you may have on hand. It may require some heat with an acetylene torch to soften the saddle since it's only a 3/8" hole for the bolt but it might work.
IMG_3828.jpg
Apologies for the very crude sketch but hopefully it will show the idea I'm suggesting.

Dave

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Gents, thanks for all the hints.

Did anybody of you already have the same problem?

I installed my extended bolt to accommodate a 1/4" thick shock mount sandwiched between the spring and axle.

Yours makes me wonder if, in the past, someone bolted the spring to the car with the toe bolt upside down - with the nut on top. That could explain the damage.

OP
BN6_2197

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gents,

I flattened the plate of the axle residing on the leaf spring, the toe bolt fitted perfectly into the whole of the plate. I did not insert the mointing plate/packing piece, the plate of the rear axle is dir3ctly residing on the leaf spring. After doing all this, the rear axle still jumps/rears up. Is a bit of rearing up expected? What is a acceptable tolerance?

Regards,

Volker

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Gents,

I flattened the plate of the axle residing on the leaf spring, the toe bolt fitted perfectly into the whole of the plate. I did not insert the mointing plate/packing piece, the plate of the rear axle is dir3ctly residing on the leaf spring. After doing all this, the rear axle still jumps/rears up. Is a bit of rearing up expected? What is a acceptable tolerance?

Regards,

Volker

I added BJ8 radius arms above the axle to prevent this. Difficult. Randy Forbes added an elegant A-arm below the axle described in other threads.

Udo Putzke sells Bilstein-shock anti-windup arms. They and DW or Cape under-spring radius arms require use of side exhaust or tortuous re-routing of the exhaust around the spring.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Randy -

Your system, as mine would have a much different appearance under acceleration and heavy braking. :encouragement:

rear suspension 2 # 414.jpg