• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2 3/16" axle nut socket

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well in an attempt to shed some light on the Hub Locking Nut's torque requirements I turned to the factory manual. Checking in the critical fastener torque section it isn't even mentioned. Searching the rear Axel "Hubs" removal and replacement for potetial critical torque data for the Lock nut all I could find was: Knock back the tab of the locking washer and unscrew the nut with Service tool 18G 258. So it seems there is no requirement for a ten foot lever and a bullet proof wrench to service the Hub Locking nut on the Rear Suspension of the Healey.---Keoke.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I agree with the reference cited earlier.
https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/rearaxle/ra102.htm

From an engineering standpoint, common sense, & my own experience, very tight will eliminate some problems, IF you drive the car more than a few miles a year. It has to do with the inner bearing race being a slip fit over the axle housing extension & it's moving on the axle extension as acceleration & braking forces are applied.

The Churchill 18G 258 tool has about a two foot long handle, so it isn't light duty.

Specs for the MGA show 150 lb/ft for a similar nut.

You may tighten it however you wish.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep and I can get 150 LB/FT using My standard 1/2" torque wrench.---Keoke

healeyneil

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
time to make you sick with jealousy. About two years ago a friend gave m the correct factory tool, which he had had for 20 years. There is no means to attach a torque wrench, but is handle is about 18" long

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
time to make you sick with jealousy. About two years ago a friend gave m the correct factory tool, which he had had for 20 years. There is no means to attach a torque wrench, but is handle is about 18" long

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much agrees with mine using the 18" Tommy Bar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I got one from https://www.britishtool.com/servtool.htm

$40 and it worked fine. Specially made for the job and has the 1/2" drive connection so you can use a torque wrench.

No financial interest etc.

Mike Brooks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mike, thats good news I never looked over there. Others can get one now if they desire to do so. CIAO---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

$40 and it worked fine. Specially made for the job and has the 1/2" drive connection so you can use a torque wrench.

Mike Brooks

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link; I went ahead and ordered the socket and one of those fancy toggle switch sockets too.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mike Brooks

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link; I went ahead and ordered the socket and one of those fancy toggle switch sockets too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps bad timing on my part, or just a flaky vendor, but still waiting on the big socket to arrive (I was promised USPS Priority Mail and should've gotten the tool (dash tool is out of stock) yesterday or today.

Well, it didn't arrive, so I went ahead and made my own, which I should've just done anyway. With another BMW M Coupe due to arrive next week (for repair, not keeps) I can't afford to have the Healey tying up my lift any longer.

IMG_6562a.jpg

IMG_6560a.jpg

Thank the Lord for milling machines and welders; I don't know how I ever got along without them (my wife thinks I'm spoiled, but I contend that I was just previously underprivileged) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

BTW, Britishtool socket will be available for sale, if it ever gets here...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shoot call em and tell em it did not arrive so cancel it.

Country flag
I ordered on last Monday form them. I got an Email Thursday that he had put it in the mail. I hope to get it in Mondays mail. Now you have me worried. I need it asap as my hub arrived two weeks ago and its a priority with the snow due at the end of next week. Once its ten to sixty inches deep I dont get to do a test drive till spring.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I ordered on last Monday form them. I got an Email Thursday that he had put it in the mail. I hope to get it in Mondays mail. Now you have me worried. I need it asap as my hub arrived two weeks ago and its a priority with the snow due at the end of next week. Once its ten to sixty inches deep I dont get to do a test drive till spring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, with any luck, he put them both in the mail on Thursday and that's why I didn't get mine when I expected.

Normally, I try to have everything in place before I start a project, but this one sort of snowballed...

ah randy, a man of my own heart! it looks great! i was in an auto parts store friday buying a rubber block to mount an anzet fuel pump on, they had a large display of all types of sockets so i asked if they had a 2-3/16 they did $76.00 i had ta just chuckle,it also accured to me that us former "underprivileged" are more inclined to being inventive, id thought about welding a bar and a 1/2"-3/4" socket fitting to mine as well, again nice job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif hay as a kid did you also "borrow" alum. parking signs to use as lawn mower engine mounting plates and attach them to a bicycle in order to build your own mini bike? poverty in ones youth is one mother of invention! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice work, as usual Randy, even for a previously underprivileged person!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
ah randy, a man of my own heart! it looks great! i was in an auto parts store friday buying a rubber block to mount an anzet fuel pump on, they had a large display of all types of sockets so i asked if they had a 2-3/16 they did $76.00 i had ta just chuckle,it also accured to me that us former "underprivileged" are more inclined to being inventive, id thought about welding a bar and a 1/2"-3/4" socket fitting to mine as well, again nice job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif hay as a kid did you also "borrow" alum. parking signs to use as lawn mower engine mounting plates and attach them to a bicycle in order to build your own mini bike? poverty in ones youth is one mother of invention! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OH!, By the way did you price a Milling machine while you were in there too? Cheap socket.---Keoke

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OH!, By the way did you price a Milling machine while you were in there too? Cheap socket.---Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]
Most valuable tool in my collection; you need something__just make it.

Actually, the milling machine is a bargain (regardless of brand), it's all the tooling that gets expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wot!! you call that Poverty? Who in the world could afford a lawn mower wid a motor on it? Much less afford the 10 Cent/Gal gasoline to run it and had a house wid a lawn. The only way to get a bicycle was to "Borrow"one. Even getting in to the movie on Saturday which only cost 10 Cents required sneaking in cuz you didn't own a Dime!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got a quarter every sat so I could go to the movies and get a bag of popcorn. Late 40s early 50s.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jack, you were lucky! Sounds like Keoke and I grew up in similar neighborhoods!