• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 aftermarket gauges

MarkT

Just to satisfy some curiosity, has anyone out there installed aftermarket gauges to a TR6? If so, what make, and observations, thoughts etc...

And as a rider - does anyone know the fuel tank sender operating range in ohms for an (assumably) stock '76 TR6?

Cheers,
Mark

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Mark
I have seen many 6's with aftermarket guages. I was going to do the same until I realised the Smiths guages are collectable. Assuming you have the original Smiths guages, can you clean them up to look new? The originals just look so much better than new guages.
Regards
Craig

T

Tinster

Mark-

Here is a photo of 2 aftermarket gauges, dry fit at the moment.

I am this week at the tail end of refurbishing the
originals but needed an aftermarket for the new
electrical system I am installing and my original temp gauge was broken. Replacement TR temp gauge also did not
function so I bought aftermarket. It functioned just great
for the 18 miles the TR drove before it died.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 252644-dashgauges.jpg
    252644-dashgauges.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 594

roofman

Jedi Knight
I actually did a dash conversion to white face guages on a past tr6. If you want all original size guages I found only 1 brand auto meter brand Phanthom series has all the right sizes but some required some work as for instance the speedo, or the tach, was electronic. I don't remember everything but remember having to get a different gas tank ending unit, and some part that hooked up to the transmission for the speedo. Auto Meter tech service got me in touch with everyone I needed for the proper sending units etc.

Attachments

• 252655-smalldash.JPG
    252655-smalldash.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 416

roofman

Jedi Knight
here is a second photo of the Auto Meter Phantom guages.

Attachments

• 252753-2nddashpicture.JPG
    252753-2nddashpicture.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 595

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
very nice!

OP
M

MarkT

All,

Thanks for the helpful info. The range of AutoMeter gauges look pretty good - Roofman, nice setup!

Cheers,
Mark

roofman

Jedi Knight
When I did the dash about 3 years ago or so, the Phantom series was the only series that had both the speedo and tach in the correct large size. It may be they have other series and styles with all the correct sizes now, but I liked the white faces.

danmas

Jedi Trainee
I have also used white faced Autometer gauges in both of my TR6s. You can see pictures of one at https://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/DanMasters.htm

The real problem with aftermarket guages is what to do with the indicator lamps that are located in the stock tashometer and speedometer. You'll have to either add them to another location on the dash, or buy a set from one of the instrument makers that will allow you to customize the gauges and put lights in them for you. I don't have a name offhand, but if you'll e-mail me later, I'll try to look them up for you, but you may want to try https://www.classicinstruments.net/ first.

OP
M

MarkT

I have to say I'm taken with both the Phantom and Sport-Comp series of Autometer gauges, which seem to have the requisite 5" and 2 1/16" sizes. You're right about the warning lamps; this is something I've been thinking about for the past couple of days and have come to the conclusion that a set-up similar to yours would be good.

This project seems to snowball...as I'm installing one of Dan's Powerblocks, I may as well take the time to refurbish and modify the dash, or make another custom one, to take all of those little extras. I have a very nice replacement veneer, so time to get on another learning curve....

Mark

roofman

Jedi Knight
The white guages are very cool against the wood dash, and when you are done look custom. The black would look too much like stock. if your not a purist, and want something cool go for the white. These guages aren't cheap, and it's a substantial job to change them out. I was very happy with the look. I wish I had better pictures than those posted.

danmas

Jedi Trainee
Another thing to consider - If you use the white face gauges, you WILL need to use a gauge light dimmer! They are BRIGHT!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Having a gage light dimmer with the stock gages in a TR6 is an oxymoron. The white gages do look good, I must admit and against a dark cherry or dark walnut dash, they would be outstanding.

Sleepy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Quick question regarding aftermarket units - is there any way to convert the manual oil pressure gauge to an electric unit?

Thanks!