• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Porsche in the works?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I read in Automobile magazine that Porsche are planning an "entry-level" sportscar, somewhere along the lines of the 914.

Now that they have a large stake in VW, they have better access to their technology, etc. Porsche are looking at using the Boxster shell with VW engine and drivetrain. The 2-litre turbo-charged 4 cylinder is apparently the engine of choice, with either manual or Tiptronic transmission.

Pricing is planned to go head-to-head with Mazda's MX-5 and the GM Sky/Solstice.

In my opinion, if Porsche seriously go for that end of the sportscar market it might tempt others to try for it too. Either way, it could spell trouble for GM. A Saturn/Pontiac or a Porsche for similar money? No contest!

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I'd love to see a modern 356 roadster and coupe but I'll believe it (the price and the car) when I see it. The boxter was supposed to be not entry level, but at least modest in price, reachable by the average consumer. Guess I don't want to be that average.

swift6

Yoda
VW/Audi/Porsche, have all been tied at the hip for decades. The cooperation between all three is nothing new.

The Boxster is already the "inexpensive" Porsche (which saved Porsche and allowed them to build the Cayenne with VW's help, Tourareg anyone?) and now the Cayman is poised to seriously threaten the 911's reign. If they (Porsche)send it racing, it could signal the end of the venerable 911.

As far as the Sky/Solstice. Ever heard of the Vauxhall VX220? It is a mid-engined sports car with a chassis developed and built by Lotus and can give the Elise a run for its money. It is also the platform that GM is using for the Sky/Solstice, though it has been changed to front engine rear drive instead of remaining a mid engine. The problem will be with getting people into a Saturn Dealership for a sports car.

Some opinion, some not, you decide... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yepper, Shawn, VW/P-A sent the 924 out with a Porsche badge on the nose of a VW... ptui! Hateful vehicle.

My "book" includes training at the Lanham, MD P.O.A. facility, I'm a "registered" Porsche wrench, along with bein' on the first wave of NIASE (now ASE) Certified Nut Twisters... that and four bucks, yadda-yadda.

I wish there'd been a Vauxhall VX220 push here inna US... THAT woulda surprised a lot of the RicerBois.

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Not to highjack the thread, but I have to come to the defense of the 924. I thoroughly enjoy mine: the handling is great, and w/a backseat&hatch, I can carry our three daughters and all their gear back and forth to school with ease. Performance is equal to or better than most LBC's, and parts support is better. While I love my '63 Sunbeam Alpine dearly, my 924 is a more practical car, while still being sporty. Dr. E, were you abused by a 924 as a small child?

Just don't forget those 15,000 mile timing belt changes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not as a child, rather as an adult... Several of 'em.

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
My '78 924 has the 2.0-litre engine with the non-interference engine, so it's no big deal if the timing belt breaks. This engine was shared with the Audi 100&the VW front-engined vans.

The engine that has the critical timing belt change requirement is the 2.5-liter Porsche engine that is shared with the 944, used in the 924S.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hijack all ya want, BTW. We're notorious for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've NOTHING against 924's, as long as I don't have to fuss with 'em. You can have as many as you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I've got dedicated tools here for 'em, too. LOTS of 'em. I don't like the tendency of the interior bits to fall off/disintegrate spontaneously, the odd rattles and squeaks that randomly show up, and a few other "things" they seem to be prone to. Dash cracks, replacements are dear... door hinge problems, err... luckily I've not worked on one for a while so the list (same in nearly EVERY case) of problems escapes me just now. My own BRUVVER (traitorous scum that he is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif ) owns one, purchased against MY good counsel and EXPECTS me to just *work* on it... Harumpf! Sub-zero in Hades.

Seriously, tho: If they're maintained well, they're fun cars. I'm well Anglo-ised so it just ain't me cuppa. Glad ya like 'em.