• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Porsche is not a Porsche

Bret

Yoda
Ok I admit it I’ve been a little preoccupied with these vehicles of late. Hmmm? I wonder if there’s twelve step program? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway I’d been noticing a lot of advertisements for 924s, 944s, 968s & a few 928s listed seemingly pretty cheap from the low $2000 range up to the $6000 for some pretty nice looking examples. Done a lot of reading on the subject (even purchased some collector & guide books) I forced myself to take a look at a couple and while I like the layout of these front engine rear drive Porsches there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the asking prices. With the exception of one or two – some are way over priced for what you get while others seem way under valued by the seller. But it seems there are some deals to be had if one knows what to look for. However if I take the plunge it’ll be after I do a little more research.

That said about the only real returning negative theme for these stepchildren of the Porsche family tree is that many fans of the breed tend to turn there noses up at them. Not unlike you see in MGB circles when some besmirch the later Rubber Bumper Bs. Most are aware that the venerable 911 has direct design roots back to Volkswagen and for a period there shared many of same parts off the shelf. But while the 928 was developed by Porsche, interestingly enough the 924 saw its start on the design tables at VW as well using Audi components.

I also like the front engine rear transaxle layout giving these vehicles an almost 50/50 weight distribution front & rear. Making it surprisingly balanced for a front engine vehicle when compared to its contemporaries of the day.

Oh well I haven’t committed to going this route and actually purchasing one. But I’ve learned a lot about the “other” Porsches and it seems that like my Rubber Bumper B they have an unfair & undeserved reputation.

swift6

Yoda
Your right about the step child aspect for front engined Porsches. However they do have quite an active owner network of their own. Rennlist is a really good forum to do some research on. Some of the 928 owners could be considered rabid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Especially the ones with the supercharged and twin turbo motors.

Having access to both a 928 and a 911C4, I can see both sides of the argument. The 928 does hold a special spot though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
928's are German Camaro's. If you want RawPower in a semi-unique wrapper that'd be a good choice. They can be made scary-fast.

They are ALL overly expensive to maintain IMO. Porsche badged parts are a bite, working on them requires some expensive specialty tools as well. If you're reasonably skilled (as you are Bret) they just require a slightly different mind-set and the PROPER tools for the model. To include a good three-gas analyzer, some Hazet, Zelenda and /or Saltus tools, the metric 1/4" swivel sockets and Allen head, Torx sockets... $2K for a car, $3K for tools to keep it running.

No biggie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Another Porsche that seems to have a pretty loyal following as well - is the 912s with their four banger rather than the 911 six. I've seen a number of them listed that range from basket cases to pretty darn sweet.

In fact I'm going to be looking at a reasonably priced 1976 912E. 76 was an interesting vintage in that the 912’s regular production spanned 1965 to 1969 and was followed by the 914. But the 912 was reintroduced that year to fill the void left by the outgoing 914 and the incoming 924 the following year.

While some consider the 912E a mistake I wonder if it might be collectible giving the story & seeing how only about 2000 where actually made.

Looks like a 911 but performs like a 914/4.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Performs like a SuperBeetle, morelike.

I like the 912 myself, and have considered them.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Some might laugh but back in the mid-seventies I worked for a guy who had a Beetle that'd been rebodied with a hand crafted fiberglass body that he'd stuffed a Corvar engine into. Looked kind of like the Pontiac Banshee Prototype.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Light & Horrendously Fast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Would blow the doors off of just about anything on the road.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
There's been a 912 advertised here lately. I've considered looking at it but don't know what I would give up-- maybe the trusty ol' household pet (the'62 bug convert) could go. Have also considered a 944 turbo since some of the Porsche folks say they're a lot for the money. I've longed for an older 911 (like 1974 or so) but the opportunity to get a decent one that I can afford hasn't come yet. Had a 356B (coupe) but it had some serious structure problems-- now that they're escalating in price, maybe I should have had it fixed anyway!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I've always liked the 944 Turbo, too. I fancied the 928 when I was in high school. I've never had the desire or means to go out and buy one never mind maintain it, though.

R6MGS

Yoda
I like the 944 and there was a time when I REEEEALLY wanted one, but never took the plunge. I still do have a soft spot for them, but their many,many other cars in that price range that I'd rather have.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I had a '67 911 up until last year.

I sold it because the parts are so bloody ridulously expensive.

IMHO, it has become known to buyers and they do not want to buy them because even for DIY it costs a bundle to maintain them and a fortune if something breaks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My argument precisely, Patrick.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I am "qualified"* to pull one apart and rebuild it. I know 'em well. And you see what is in my .sig file!

*EDIT: "Factory" qualified.

FURTHER EDIT: To quote Basil Fawlty: "YOU started it!"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There are 2 old 928's sitting in a guy's front yard not far from me - & he'll sell them both - CHEAP!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Electrical Problems" ???

Do 928's have a timing chain or a belt? I'd not want to change a belt on one of those... or pull the anchor out if one broke. Pretty cars though... I've always liked the looks of them... I like Doc's analogy in comparing it to a camaro. Expensive camaro though.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
EuroTrash Camaro, Kenny. High dollar cars when it comes to parts and maintenance. But they are certainly "entertaining" if they're "right."

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
EuroTrash Camaro, Kenny. High dollar cars when it comes to parts and maintenance. But they are certainly "entertaining" if they're "right."

[/ QUOTE ]
OK but couldn’t you say the same thing about a lot of vehicles from Europe?

I know its sacrilege in retrospect today - but back in the eighty’s I remember a lot of folks stuffing American V8s (Chevy 350s mostly) into classic Jaguars XKEs & XJs, because of the high cost of rebuilding the original engine. In fact I actually sold a 72 Chevy Caprice to a guy who was going to use it as a donor car for one such project.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Where's yer point, Bret? I'm NOT hammerin' Camaro's ~OR~ 928's with the statement... rather trying to put the 928 into a perspective understood by all: The 928 is a MAGNIFICENT machine, it just requires a level of maintenance most here (in the Colonies) can't understand when compared to a Camaro.

I've approached "The Proud Owners" of "Jagulets" in the past at shows and blatantly asked 'em: "So... you've taken a car worth $XX,XXX and turned it into a $200 beater. What's the sense in that?"

I'm NOT anti-Porsche. Just have a problem with the "Mistique of the Marque" where it comes to the amounts of cash it requires to maintain the bloody things when compared to say, a Jag or other English car. Too much "ado about nothing" IMO. Parts is parts! The Teutonic Philosophy is excess to requirement!