• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Power to relays

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I have plans to add 3 relays to power headlights and driving lights (Marchal's)- one for low, a second for highbeams and a third for the driving lights. They will be switched separately but is it advisable to power each of the relays (#30 post) in series? I'd like to run one 10G wire from battery to one relay, then run a "jumper wire" to the other two. This is really to help simplify wiring to keep thing neat. Gonzo.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Assuming you are using only one fuse of appropriate size for the relay control circuit either way, the only drawback to using one power wire is if that wire shorted or broke, you'd fail all the relays. That's not even really a drawback because you'd jump in and repair it if that happened. I vote for jumpers and fewer long wires for power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Assuming you are using only one fuse of appropriate size for the relay control circuit either way, the only drawback to using one power wire is if that wire shorted or broke, you'd fail all the relays. That's not even really a drawback because you'd jump in and repair it if that happened. I vote for jumpers and fewer long wires for power.

Very good recommendation OLE Chap.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bryn

That looks something like what I have done to mine 'cept that my headlights are stock and I have installed a set of fogs and a set of Marchal spots each with their own relay. I will have to reverse engineer everything 'cause I can not find the bit of paper with my diagram on it. :wall:

:cheers:

Bob

Country flag
Wow. I forgot I did that diagram, it has been so long. I have a BJ8 and there is a large space above the heater on the on the passenger side of the fire-wall. It is large enough to house a fuse box and the relays.

Country flag
What you do when any fuse blows, Replace it. Its easy to replace. I actually added a second fuse for the "fog lights". What would you suggest, Keoke?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What you do when any fuse blows, Replace it. Its easy to replace. I actually added a second fuse for the "fog lights". What would you suggest, Keoke?

Replacing a blown fuse generally does not remove the fault and in this case U are left on the side of the Road TH.

One approach is to use separate driving lights with separate power sources and fusing , then U always have a legally reguired light source to get U home.

OR: U might use separate brown power wires to each relay via a 15 AMP fuse might help a bit ?

There ae other methods but a bit more complicated OK

Last edited:

Guffy60

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have used the second power take off on my alternator to feed a junction box, with appropriate weight wire.

from that I have taken individual fused power lines to the three relays for the front lights, dip, main and spots.

All nicely bound and fastened out of the way