• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine will not fire!

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here is another mystery to solve

Yesterday I took the car out for a final test prior to my first event this year. With a new Odyssey Racing battery it fired up first time after three prods of the Webers. Great 45 minute test, car ran perfectly with some high speed work. Parked it on the driveway and had some lunch. Went out an hour or so later to move it to the garage and it wouldn't start! Turned over perfectly but not a splutter, nothing. I assumed no spark.

Last year I fitted a Powerspark ignition system, same as the Pertronix. I assumed that may be the problem. I removed a plug and earthed it to the block but couldn't see a spark. As you can't test a Powerspark I re-installed the points. I got a yellowish spark but still nothing. No spluttering or attempt to fire up.

Powerspark told me the system is more sensitive to a poor coil than points are so I installed a new Lucas Sports coil and obtained what I thought is a pretty good bluish spark, but still not firing when I try to start it. I removed the fuel supply to the last Weber and fuel pumped through perfectly. I also added a gallon to the tank and cleaned up the plugs, still nothing.

In addition I replaced the carbon post in the dizzy cap and also tried a couple of other rotors. Still wont fire even though I get a spark when earthing to the block. That's it for today, time for a drink!

The timing of the distributor was altered quite a bit when I switched from points to electronic so it may be out for the re-installed points however I still think it should at least fire up and cough and splutter. However, tomorrow I will re-install the electronic ignition to see if it will start, which would mean it probably was a coil problem. I could replace the dizzy cap but I don't think that is the problem as Im getting a spark.

Any other ideas? Ive got a spark, I believe Ive got fuel and Ive got compression, its supposed to start!

Its a mystery why it wouldn't re-start on the driveway after running perfectly. What happened during that time?

BTW. The new Lucas Sport coil is 2/3 the size of the old one. Is that increased efficiency or just cost cutting?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cutting Cost-----:angel2:

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Many years ago, during the fuel crisis, my Alfa had the same problem. Ran great, went to the gas station fill the tank. Wouldn't re-start. Had spark, compression, fuel. Checked spark timing, can timing, everything. Drove me nuts for a weekend. Well... I had fuel but it was BAD fuel. Try running it out of a can of known-good fuel. (I think on the Webbers you can remove the lid of the float bowl and replace the fuel, right?). Worth a try.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Derek,

I thing Bill may have something. I have been caught in a similar situation and ran into an issue after doing something as simple as replacing the spark plugs. I took the car to fill up on high test and I just about made it back home when is completely stopped and wouldn't restart. After checking everything I could think of and then some, a friend convinced me to block the fuel from the tank and use fuel from another source. Once flushed from the carbs, the engine started and has been running ever since.

It turned out that the station I purchased the gas from had just previously received a new supply that turned out to be contaminated (I have no idea with what water, fuel oil, ???). Every high performance modern car that had purchased this Premium fuel suffered substantial damage and my Healey suffered the least (cleaned the new plugs and flushed and cleaned the carb, fuel lines and pump).

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You mentioned that you have compression, so I assume that you checked to make sure that the valves are moving up and down, and that it's not a timing chain problem. This reminds me of that Lucas poem that someone posted the other day . . .

OP
DerekJ

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Success!

The replacement Powerspark arrived today and I decided to fit it hoping that there was not some electrical problem with my car that would blow this one as well. After installation the car fired up first time. I have no idea why the unit failed when the car was switched off and stationery or why the car would not start when I re-fitted points even though their was a spark. I suppose it can only be because the timing set up is different but Im still surprised I didn't even get a cough or splutter. Its worth bearing in mind if you are only carrying points as a replacement. The Powerspark module is very reasonably priced so I have just ordered another one to carry as a spare. I now also have a perfectly good spare Lucas Sport coil!

If you are going to break down there is no better place than your own driveway!

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That sounds like good news! Let's see, don't forget the extra ignition parts, the spare fuel pump, the special jack, the hammer for the knock offs, an assortment of tools . . . what am I forgetting?

The part about breaking down in the driveway sounds familiar. On the old Sunbeam, the front left suspension collapsed and the wheel folded flat under the car, just after a long drive at highway speeds, a few feet from the driveway.

Success!

The replacement Powerspark arrived today and I decided to fit it hoping that there was not some electrical problem with my car that would blow this one as well. After installation the car fired up first time. I have no idea why the unit failed when the car was switched off and stationery or why the car would not start when I re-fitted points even though their was a spark. I suppose it can only be because the timing set up is different but Im still surprised I didn't even get a cough or splutter. Its worth bearing in mind if you are only carrying points as a replacement. The Powerspark module is very reasonably priced so I have just ordered another one to carry as a spare. I now also have a perfectly good spare Lucas Sport coil!

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Success!

I've had simiar problems over years of owning my Healey and i think you still have an intermittent problem. White/black wire in the trunk attached to the cut-off switch?