• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

wriggle painted

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
On a 61 tr3 is the rear view mirror wriggle painted only on the top half? If so has anyone heard of placing the piece painted in the oven for a few minutes to help with the wriggling?
Steve

Twosheds

Darth Vader
If it's still wriggling when you paint it, it's not dead yet. Make sure it stops wriggling before you paint it or put it in the oven.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:lol: Oh Johns in a good mood today! :lol:

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I thought it was just a black plastic surround, not painted on a 61 TR3.....

Are you talking about the metal base?

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

PeterK

Yoda
Twosheds said:
If it's still wriggling when you paint it, it's not dead yet. Make sure it stops wriggling before you paint it or put it in the oven.

If I was drinking milk, it would have shot out of my nose!

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes I am talking about the metal base. It looks like the top back of the mirror frame is painted with crackle paint and pedestal part is regular black semi-gloss. You guys need go outside and play. You have been cooped up in the house in front of that computer too long.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Id have my doubts about sticking the whole thing in a hot oven -- but I have used a heat gun to finish off wrinkle paint (but not on this part). The heat gun gives you more control as you watch the paint wrinkle (wriggle?).

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I used a hair dryer.... turned out nice!

smdichter

Country flag
I used the oven to wrinkle/crackle that paint (obtained from Moss or TRF) for the center section of the insrument cluster. Worked great. Tip: Wait until whomever in your family normally uses the oven more than you goes out of town for a while. Sort of like when you use her pots and meat thermometer to test when the thermostat starts to open. Less explaining.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
The original untouched rear vision mirror from TS79550-0 has an extremely fine "wriggle" finish behind the mirror part. It's hard to tell with the stem. Under a magnifying glass it looks to be fine grain wriggle.

The bracket under the mirror stem that holds the windscreen stay rubber is also fine wriggle finish, like the mirror.

Perhaps the fine grain finish came from the paint setting in the cold, such as British factories in winter. Doubt they bothered with heat drying to obtain a coarser grain.

Whilst a kitchen oven would be fine for the central gauge panel, it might harm the plastic mirror surround. I find the wife's hair dryer is just the ticket for wrinkle work. Mind you her eyes roll skyward, having spent a fortune avoiding them !.

Viv.

dklawson

Yoda
I suggest no additional heat. Follow the instructions on the spray can. Not all the paints use the same "wrinkle" procedure. They all seem to want you to apply X wet coats separated by Y minutes followed by applying a last coat after Z minutes/hours. The number of coats and time you wait makes a big difference.

I used steps I'd memorized from one brand of paint when I used a different brand. Nothing wrinkled. I took that paint back off (cursing) and tried again AFTER reading the instructions on the new can. It worked a treat when I followed their instructions to a "T".

As above, I'd be afraid of baking a mirror due to the materials/glue used to mount the glass.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
On my early TR3A, there is no plastic surround. S-T added this to help safety. The plastic is to absorb the shock of your eye or forehead hitting the mirror compared to my rear-view mirror where there is none of this "protection".

When I "re-krinkled" my mirror support in 1990, I removed the glass mirror by loosening (prying open) the 4 tiny clips, then I krinkled the base and rear, then installed a new piece of mirror that my local mirror shop cut to size for me - free of charge.