• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Show Me Your Maroon Painted Engine!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'm trying to get the right color for the TF engine. What I've tried so far doesn't cut it. I bought two cans of PlastiCoat 1531, as I was informed it was almost a perfect match and it turns out to look like a reddish/purplish plum color. 20 bucks waisted! I can't believe Abington would paint an engine this color. A lighter maroon shade would probably do, but I'm not sure. Show me your engine if you have a photo and tell who's paint it is and the color code. Thanks, PJ

Paul, this Fred McConnell's MGB race engine, I built it, it is painted with Duplicolor dark canyon red, then cleared over with Duplicolor engine hi heat clear, I've done quite a few engines this way, his has held up very well.

Attachments

• 22723.jpg
    22723.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 674
Country flag
OT: white is the best color for an engine compartment, ever (a real plus if the entire car is white, as sponsorship lettering shows up better too).

Is the lifter galley plate all one (1) piece, or two (2)?

Looks nice!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hap thanks for the input, but there's a problem. Duplicolor has discontinued Dark Canyon Red! I contacted them direct and they said it is being made no more and they have no intension of bringing it back. That is the color I wanted! Just my luck. There might be a few cans left in some wear houses somewhere, but it's being made no more. Thanks anyway. PJ

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul;
NAPA can duplicate any color and put it in a spray bomb for you.
All I ever needed was a name or paint code.
Worth a try to talk to them.
Hope this helps.
BTW, their price was quite reasonable.

Dave :cheers:

Country flag
14dna said:
Paul;
NAPA can duplicate any color and put it in a spray bomb for you.
All I ever needed was a name or paint code.
Worth a try to talk to them.
Hope this helps.
BTW, their price was quite reasonable.

Dave :cheers:

Dave, I was going to post this earlier but couldn't remember which place will do this. Thanks for giving the info! :laugh:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, thanks guys for all the feed back. I've decided, after reading about Bill Hirsch engine paint, which has a temp rating to 700 degrees and comes in the right color, to use it. Also they have an exhaust manifold paint which I'm getting that's rated to 1800 degrees. Gotta try it! PJ

Paul, they still got Dark Canyon Red, I have a couple of cans at the shop right now, it part of their new "Perfect Match" brand line, samller can I too contrcxted them direct and they told me too, it was NLA, guess they too hire zombies, it does exist, i already used in on engine :smile: I'll try to throw the part number up here later, when at the shop (but I've been having difficulty signing on here on the shop computer) I got a can sitting on the desk in the office. Adavnce Auto Parts is where I got it, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Autozone. Paul just call me if you like a little later at the shop (all info at below listed website), I'll be in there today playing with my own stuff.

Randy, that is a Basil Adams' one piece aluminum side cover, so much better than the factory deal, it ain't even funny, Basil A. hangs out over at the MGex, if you interested in one.

Paul, I got it, the part number for the new smaller "Perfectmatch" can (they are like 10 oz. or so, not real samll, but samller than the old cans) is BFM0288, it will says right on the label, replaces T278, Dark Canyon red, I already used it on blocks and it's the same stuff, I coat it with Dupli Color clear. Yeah I talked to Duplicolor tech people too, and they told me the same thing you they told you, then someone told me they were making it again, gave me the part number and I went and bought some from Advance.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks a bunch Hap! I'll check with Advance Auto here. I think they only sell Duplicolor paints. BFM0288, will get it! Thanks again Hap! PJ

Perfect Match is Duplicolor brand line, it replaced the truck and SUV line that Dark Canyon Red used to come in. Ironicly enough, my F350 crew cab is Dark Canyon Red.

I had just read about you mentioning Hirsch engine paint as well, I've used it before as well, some colors will only come in the quart cans, they tell you can brush it on or spray out of a paint gun, definately spray it, it looks terrible if brushed on, but flows great and shines like crazh if sprayed on, here's photo of Frank's Mooring's supercharger specific enging I built, and that is Hirsh black engine paint sprayed on.

Attachments

• 22777.jpg
    22777.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 590

RickTM

Freshman Member
Bill Hirsch MGA maroon is NOT the right color IMO. They actually sent me a second can because I complained that the first was not the right color. The second was the same as the first. It is a light plum color.

RickTM said:
Bill Hirsch MGA maroon is NOT the right color IMO. They actually sent me a second can because I complained that the first was not the right color. The second was the same as the first. It is a light plum color.

Thank you Rick, good to know, I only used their black engine paint.

The Moss paint is still a good choice as well, it's color is good, it does bleach if coolant gets on it, but I clear it the same as DCR, DCR is a lot cheaper than the Moss paint and does a good job.

FWIW, I saw some engine paint with paint bought form the automotive paint store, they have heat additive they can add, this if the color is gotten right, can be a choice the most shiney engine I ever saw were done like this, guy used acrylic enamel and harder, that engine glared it was so bright, but most of us, myself included would rather use a high quailty spray can appraoch to save time and cost. If I had to spray engines with a paint gun, I have to charge more, which I had to do in the past. The DCR with the clear has held up well so far in test, I refreshing a race engine, the marron engine pictured by me above, it has been in service for a year and half, like 5 events or so, and the engne paint looks so good, I doubt I will have to repaint the engine, just alittle touch up, so not bad for that sort of use.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hap, are those tubes from a vendor or fabricated in-house?

Steve_S

Yoda
As far as I know the original color of your TF engine was not exactly the same as an MGB. I believe it was more red.

That said... this is Dark Canyon Red. The color on the valve cover is how it comes out of the can. The color of the rest of the engine is what it looks like after a couple months of running the engine.

enginebay.jpg

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Steve, Yes I've heard the same thing and it kinda throws me a curve. Of all the important things that have to be done on this car, the least of my concerns was the color of the engine, but now, it's becoming a challenge. Problem is, everyone has a different view on the color, so who's right? It'll get solved, just takes a little time. I've been told that the original paint code isn't valid anymore due to the change in chemical make up of the newer paints. Here's a photo of my engine. The paint looks good in the photo, but that's deceiving, the engine does need repainting. I'd be happy with this color, problem is, other than red, I have no idea what it is! I might be able to contact the fellow who rebuilt the engine in Alabama, hopefully he'll remember. PJ

engine25a.jpg

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Question, Will clear engine enamel stop the discoloration of the paint caused by engine fluids, such as antifreeze, gas etc? Some paints, as some have found out, don't hold up when exposed to chemicals. PJ

Steve_S

Yoda
It could be deceiving, but your paint looks a bit salmon-colored. If so, Bill Hirsch MG Maroon may be about the same. Paul Hanley used it and that's the color it came out. Not that I feel it's a correct color but if that's what you're after then it may be an option.

The original color varied a bit from paint batch to paint batch. The factory didn't really care too much about keeping it identical throughout production. These weren't Bugattis, after all! If it were me, I'd just use whatever color pleased me. My '53 unrestored XPAG was a pretty standard red but well faded after all the years so impossible to match a color to. My current one is black and will be painted a nice bright red when I pull it in a couple months.

Clear coat should definitely help prevent discoloration. A quality paint should be resistant to engine fluids on its own however. Moss paint is not one of them.