• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tube Shocks

R

Rabid_Dolphin

Someone please tell me I didn't put these in upside down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
324860_163_full.jpg

324860_164_full.jpg

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looks good to go and you will notice the difference right away. Wayne

piman

Darth Vader
Hello RD,
I'm surprised that there is no outer shroud to shield the piston rod from water and grit etc. They are the right way up however.

Alec

trboost

Jedi Trainee
It's scary how easy these are to instal & how much of an improvment they return. Wheel control & ride are greatly improved. The KYB's worked very well & even though they are not shielded I have not had any problems in the last 3 or 4 years they've been on.
I would suggest if Koni's or Spax are to be used , that the chassis mounting point be inspected & strengthened to handle the additional force.
This conversion will still allow up to a 215/65 tire to fit , snug but it works.
I would re-torque these bolts after a few miles & check them periodically to make sure they are tight.

OP
R

Rabid_Dolphin

[ QUOTE ]
Hello RD,
I'm surprised that there is no outer shroud to shield the piston rod from water and grit etc. They are the right way up however.

Alec

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean like a mudboot of some kind?

OP
R

Rabid_Dolphin

[ QUOTE ]
It's scary how easy these are to instal & how much of an improvment they return. Wheel control & ride are greatly improved. The KYB's worked very well & even though they are not shielded I have not had any problems in the last 3 or 4 years they've been on.
I would suggest if Koni's or Spax are to be used , that the chassis mounting point be inspected & strengthened to handle the additional force.
This conversion will still allow up to a 215/65 tire to fit , snug but it works.
I would re-torque these bolts after a few miles & check them periodically to make sure they are tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I know the Driver's side bolts will be tight. That bracket had to be persuaded to fit, and actually modified a little bit, while the passenger side just fell into place.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I bet if you really wanted to, you could find a shock boot that would fit. Perhaps through a motorcycle shop.

The installation looks good! Let us know how you like the conversion on the road.

Cheers!

Alan

OP
R

Rabid_Dolphin

Thanks. I don't realy care if it has a boot or not, but if it would increase the life of the shock, I might as well do it. I haven't gotten it on the road yet. Today was beautiful, but I would have been choking on all the pollen.

OP
G

I installed the same setup on my TR6, got it from British Parts Northwest. They maintain that they are the ones that manufacture this bracket. Perhaps so, this same bracket is sold at most vendors. They all come with the same non-adjustable shock. I changed the shock to a Spax (it has a dust shield) and set it somewhere just between soft and medium. With my competition springs, I get the perfect amount of damping and spring action that works for me. If anyone wants the new KYB shocks that came with the kit, send me a sawbuck to cover the postage and they are yours. Post it on the private messages.

Bill

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Dolphin I'm just a little concerned that in the 2nd. photo your brake drum appears to have a crack in it.
Please check before driving.
Simon.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Alan:
That kit came from one of our own members who advertised the conversion kit in the for sale section. I paid $100 and shipping. I thought I would have a chance to drive test it this past weekend, but it did not happen. I did "bounce" the back of the car a few times and could tell a noticable difference; can't wait to drive it.

OP
R

Rabid_Dolphin

[ QUOTE ]
Dolphin I'm just a little concerned that in the 2nd. photo your brake drum appears to have a crack in it.
Please check before driving.
Simon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a racing crack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif