• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

tube shocks part #

wdp

Anyone have the part number for tube shocks for the rear of a MGB?.....I know I know, it isn't stock but the car came that way and I need new shocks and don't even know whats on it now.
Oh yeah, the shocks are yellow if that helps.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yellow usually equals Monroe...pull one, clean it up & take to a Monrow dealer...he can take their numbers (engraved on the side) off it & trnspose to parts numbers.

Spax are partly yellow too. I just looked at them on Moss's site, but didn't see a link for just the shocks.

OP
W

wdp

The problem is there are no numbers on these shocks. It looks like at one time there was a tag on them, but it is long gone.
Thanks anyway.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
You could probably take it to a Monroe dealer, as Tony suggested, anyway for him to match it to a replacement, without the number! I don't think I'd use a gas charged one though! Might make a "B", which has no weight in the back anyway, ride a little stiff in the rear. JMHO. PJ

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I did some checking on getting a shock that fits while I was working at a parts store, and found that the Monroe Sensa-Track part number is 5877ST.

One problem with this part number is that the upper hole may not be the same size as the shock you have.

Hopefully this helps.

Steve_S

Yoda
It would be a lot easier and perhaps cheaper in the long run to simply bolt an original style set of lever shocks on the car. Experimenting with tube shocks not designed specifically for your B may prove frustrating. You may get lucky, or you may end up with a rough ride and poor handling like most tube shock kits provide.

Sorry I can't help with part numbers but there is no way to know what you have there. Good luck!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Steve_S said:
It would be a lot easier and perhaps cheaper in the long run to simply bolt an original style set of lever shocks on the car. Experimenting with tube shocks not designed specifically for your B may prove frustrating. You may get lucky, or you may end up with a rough ride and poor handling like most tube shock kits provide.

Sorry I can't help with part numbers but there is no way to know what you have there. Good luck!

The other advantage of replacing with Armstrongs is that he'll never be in this position again - the lever shocks will never wear out as long as he ownes the car if he keeps them topped up (and if they did, at least he'd know what they were for replacement purposes).

Steve_S

Yoda
Buy them from Peter C. and they will never need to be topped up. His rebuilds come with a lifetime guarantee. Try finding that in a tube shock! :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

How right you are, Steve!

...'cept for some Koni's. And THEY ain't cheaper.

R

RonMacPherson

Koni, and KYB both offer lifetime warranty. At least they did. It's been so long that I've had to install shocks I don't know where to look for the paperwork.

OP
W

wdp

My long term plan was to get shocks from Peter C. but in the short term was looking for a quick tube shock replacement. The tube shock hardware is all ready installed.
With 3 MGs and a Metro to maintain, plus keeping SWMBO happy I was trying to take the easy way out.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
DrEntropy said:
:lol:

How right you are, Steve!

...'cept for some Koni's. And THEY ain't cheaper.

Indeed.

I switched to Konis about 5 years ago and I'll never go back to levers, no matter what the warranty. They're cute/novel for the purist set, but IMO nothing beats an adjustable Koni. Except perhaps a Ron Hopkinson coilover, which I was too cheap/lazy to fit :smile:

koni.jpg

Steve_S

Yoda
Scott_Hower said:
nothing beats an adjustable Koni.

Except a remotely adjustable Armstrong lever shock. Adjust them right from the cockpit with no modification to the car necessary. Plus, you get a shock designed for the car that fits at the correct angle. Nothing beats that!

Steve_S

Yoda
Not on MGB what? Adjustable levers? Sure you can! They were a competition option in the 60's, and you can get repros from Worldwide.