• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shocks: Rebuild Lever Arms or Tube Conversion???

Colin_D

Hello all,

I recently was given a 1969 Triumph TR6, needless to say it needs some work. The suspension is pretty much shot, I have already bought new springs but would like some advice on the shocks. Who out there has put a tube shock conversion kit and who has rebuilt the lever arms and what do you think of the results??

Cheers,

Colin

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Re: Shocks: Rebuild Lever Arms or Tube Conversion?

Rebuilts are not that expensive. For that matter, checking to see if simply topping them off with fluid makes them function again is even cheaper!

I'll let others chime in about tube shock conversions. I'm wary of them, but then it's a moot point for me; I have mostly Heralds, with tube shocks all around as per original! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

richards

Jedi Hopeful
I put GoodPart one inch lower springs on, that are stiffer
than stock.
Then I changed from lever shocks to tube shocks. The first set of rear shocks I put on were KYBs. Way to stiff. Now I have Monroes.

I think that my lever shocks were in very good shape, and
maybe that is the best way to go. Have them rebuilt to your specs. I asked Richard at Goodparts what he runs, and he said lever shocks, and he makes the springs I use.

RMS TR6

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I was going to convert but decided against it. Lever shocks are very well designed and unless you are planning to revamp your entire suspension and reinforce your frame accordingly, stay with the stock set up.

I just changed my rear springs, added HD lever shocks (rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics), new link kits and differential bushings. The car rides and handles superbly. My alignment is right on the money and it does very well with modern Goodyear tires.

OP
C

Colin_D

Hey Paul,

I met you at the Cape Cod event the other day. Thanks for the info!

Colin

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Right you are! I apologize for not putting two and two together to see that it was you. After all, I did say for you to visit us here, so I should have remembered. Welcome and join us often. A really great group of LBC nuts reside here.

OP
C

Colin_D

No Worries, I have a feeling that I will be asking a lot of questions here in the future. I drove the TR to work today, it wasn't too chilly this morning.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I too, ask a lot of questions along with everyone else. That's whats so great about this group. We all help each other. Just like the CCBCC. On Saturday one of the Bugeyes in the rally broke down. Dead as a doornail. There were three of us, kneeling in the grass later that night at the motel with flashlights tearing the generator apart and repairing a shorted brush lead via three different tool boxes.

The point is that we all share a great hobby. There is no snobbery here over whose car is nicer or better. Just good people, with a common interest, helping each other, the way it should be. There are times that we may not all agree on the method or process, but I've never met anyone here who was less than a gentleman. And on this massive internet that is really rare.

D

DougF

It depends on what type of ride you are looking for. If you want to go down the country road on a Sunday afternoon, have the originals rebuilt. If you plan on autocrossing or upgrading the handling, go tubular.
I have the Goodparts springs and bushings. The ride is very firm and the tubular shocks upgraded the area that I felt was most lacking.
If you go tubular, you can catch better deals on ebay.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Doug, that's a pretty good analogy. Some people sometimes make the assumption that they are going to be driving a lot harder and more competitively than they really ever will. Then the reality of the harsh every day ride and banging over bumps sets in. I chose a stock setup for my reason of wanting a nice handling car, but with a smooth ride for everyday driving. I'm probably never going to auto cross with it. I'd build another car and set it up just for that if I really wanted to do so. I drive 35-40,000 miles per year for a living, so I want my play car to be fun, but not work to drive.

Others may have a completely different view, but that's why we each own our cars and build them the way we want to.

D

DougF

My car ride is firm, as I mentioned earlier. But, I don't believe it is any harsher than my TR3. The handling though is unlike any near stock TR6 you will ever drive. People get in thinking their kidneys will fall off, but are always surprised at how comfortable the ride really is.
It is set up for autocross, but I like to drive my car home at the end of the day. It is a blast on smooth country roads.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
You may not have to rebuild/replace the lever shocks. They leak a bit but that means the arbors are being lubed. If the action is too soft, experiment with some thicker oil! If they leak too much, then you will have to rebuild them. Or replace them with the tube conversion.

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
I did the HD rebuilds from Apple and couldn't be happier.

Dave

richards

Jedi Hopeful
DougF
I have the Goodparts spring also. What tube shock do you use?
Did the tube shock change your ride height?
I am still looking for the "right" tube shock.
thanks

D

DougF

I used the KYB's that came with the kit. I was looking for stiffer and got it. The first drive seemed a little harsh, but after a year of driving, either my spine has toughened or the shocks have settled.
As far as ride height, I didn't notice any difference. I referenced some old photos and decided that if it changed, it was no more than a half inch.
The lever shocks didn't hold up very well to the heavier springs.

Paul Slice

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

I used to be a dyed in the wool believer in the origional Armstrong lever shocks. Everything that I had read stated that the tube conversions would not make any difference to handling or ride quality. When I rebuilt my MGB I went with rebuilt levers with uprated valves at all four corners and the handling and ride are impressive with the other modifications that were also done to the suspension.

When I reciently rebuilt the suspension on my 71 TR6 I was content to use rebuilt levers on the rear at first. With the Koni adjustable shocks that I used on the front I felt that the rear end was a little bouncy even with the rebuilt Armstrongs.
I then decieded to match the front and rear shocks and go with the Koni's on both ends. After some research I ordered the Blind moose conversion brackets to mount the Koni's on the back.
The rear Koni's were on backorder from Holland for 2 months so I got some time to get used to the levers on the back.
The tube shocks finally came in last week and I installed them saturday morning, and after adjusting them to my liking I can truthfully say that the change in ride and handling is incredable. The rear of the car now hugs the road and does not bounce and feel every dip in the road like it did before. The car is at once smooth and comfortable, yet handles great in the curves and on bumpy uneven surfaces. The best settings were tight in the front about 3/4 turn, and looser in the rear 1.5 turns on the Koni's.

The Koni part number for the rear is 80 2167 I paid 91 dollars each from https://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/koni/lookup...art_num=80+2167
with free shipping.

Hope this helps,
Paul

koni2.jpg

koni1.jpg

Paul Slice

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

no, I used TRF uprated stock height springs. Poly bushings on the trailing arms, diffy mounts and spring seats.

Paul

RobT

Jedi Warrior

Paul -
What size tires are you using?
I am running 205/70R15 and am wondering if the wider tires would rub on the shock. Anyone else used the Blind Moose conversion with wider tires?

Thanks,

Rob.