• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye Lever Shocks/Standard or Heavy Duty Rebuild

kurts100

Country flag
Making my way through the restoration of my '59 Bugeye and have decided to have my shocks rebuilt. One rear was leaking badly and fronts seemed pretty easy to move up and down. Car had over 50,000 miles and since they are probably now 50 years old figured rebuilding would be best. Apple Hydraulics has a standard and heavy duty rebuild and recommend the heavy duty on the fronts of the Sprites. Heavy duty is $10.00 more per shock and is 15% stiffer.

Any thoughts on whether I actually need the heavy duty rebuild or would it be too stiff. Car will be used for road use.

Thanks,

Kurt

Country flag

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Send them to Peter C at Nosimports. You won't be disappointed! There is no better place to have levers rebuilt.

OP
kurts100

kurts100

Country flag
Thanks for the response back to me. Sounds like I will give Peter a call. Have seen his name mentioned alot on the forum. Used Apple for shocks for big Healeys a number of years ago and they did good work, but I also need some work done on my A-arms and I saw, after a search of discussions regarding Peter, that he does that as well.

This was not supposed to be a full restoration, but you know how that goes!

Thanks again!

Kurt

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
See my post on A Arms and Suspension Bushings. Peter C is not doing those. Bob Forsblom in Columbus for A-Arms nad Bushings.

And See Peter C on Shocks, he is the best you will like dealing with him, quality product and great service.

nosimport@mailbag.com

Peter Caldwell
World Wide Auto Parts
2517 Seiferth Rd., Madison, WI 53716
(800) 362-1025 Fax (608) 223-9403

OP
kurts100

kurts100

Country flag
Thanks Jim. I'll have to keep Bob's number as well. I did notice on the Apple Hydraulic's website that they are doing A-arms for Spridgets. Might be helpful to those on the east coast.

Kurt

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Jim_Gruber said:
See my post on A Arms and Suspension Bushings. Peter C is not doing those. Bob Forsblom in Columbus for A-Arms nad Bushings.

Just curious...What do "A" arms typically need done to them? Are'nt they something you would just remove and replace if needed?

OP
kurts100

kurts100

Country flag
On mine, after alot of time and busted slotted bits, I was only able to get one fulcrum pin out. Not sure why they are so hard but it's almost like they are slightly bent because they turn about a 1/4 of a turn back and forth and that's it. Not sure if the weight of the car on the king pin, which rests on the fulcrum pin, puts a slight bend in them over the years or maybe the problem is in the female threaded ends on the A-arm the fulcrum pins thread into. Probably the pot holes here in PA. Anyway, it's very frustrating. If you can't get the fulcrum pin out you can't get the king pin out to be serviced.

Kurt

markberry

Jedi Trainee
So you can have the fulcrum holes drilled out and re-threaded? I'm showing my ignorance here, but are the "A" arms not available new? Or is is just cost effective to have them repaired? I'm just interested in knowing if that's an area of the car I need to pay some extra attention to. I've had my suspension apart three or four times in the six years I've owned the car and never noticed a problem.

OP
kurts100

kurts100

Country flag
New A-arms for the Bugeye's are fairly expensive, especially if there's nothing wrong with your original ones except for the fact you can't get the fulcrum pin out to rebuild the kingpins. I tore my entire car apart to restore and that was the one thing that gave me the most trouble. Maybe mine was the exception.

Kurt

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Ditto on Peter Caldwell for rebuilding shocks. Had my 61 BE shocks done. Rides like a different vehicle.....thankfully. He's timely, reasonable, and good at what he does.

dave in University City, MO

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
+++++++ on Peter. Call them and ask about pro/cons, you'll get the straght scoop.

New shocks will arrive very quickly too, return package and slip will be included, couldn't be any easier.

OP
kurts100

kurts100

Country flag
Spoke with Peter's shop and then had an email sent with all the particulars. They did tell me they don't recomment the heavy duty valving on a Bugeye for regular street use. It's more for racing. Will be boxing mine up and shipping. They had a couple different options on paint. Said they normally paint all black, but they would also put only a primer on, or paint the arms black and leave the bodies unpainted, which I believe were how they came originally. Thanks again for all the input!

Kurt

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
You will be very pleased with his work!!!!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
You will be very pleased with his work!!!!