• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Front License Frame - a possible market?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I finally got my hands on a chrome front license frame for my TR6. I had to pay over $150 for this on ebay and have seen several go for much higher. I'm thinking of reverse engineering this at the company that I work for (a progressive stamper) and seeing how much the tooling and costs would be to produce these in mass. Now mass is relative, as we don't exactly have a Taurus market out there, but does anyone see a market and what would a normal buyer (not a nut like me) expect to pay for something like this? The attached pic is what I bought.

R6MGS

Yoda
Might wanna 'redesign' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
I spent 2 hours on the weekend trying to free a frozen nut, with so little pace behind their to get my hands(or a wrench in) I habd to remove the entire thing....I'd rather not have a front plate, but this holder is pretty nice dispite the difficulties it casues.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Count me in, I'll buy one from ya!
if the price is right... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, as you can see, this one comes without anything, although the seller said he might have the attaching brackets. Could you post a few pics of how these actually attach, both for my benefit when I go to install, as I may have to fab my own brackets as well as pointing out what should be redesigned? Might as well make it right this time around.
Thanks!

R6MGS

Yoda
I'd love to, but since I got this new computer a few months ago I haven't been able to upload pics from my digi camera directly(involves printing and scanning, or getting them put on a CD and upload from that)...I am sure someone else would post with some pics, otherwise I'll take some this weekend,print them, and scan them in for ya.....I need to get some updated pics of the car in here anyway.

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello to all.

What I did was go online about 1/2 year ago and found a place in CA that makes custom European plates. I had them stamp the exact number and letter combo that my rear plate is. It looks really cool with it. I don't remember the exact place but any google search for European plates will find it.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
pix pix!!

i just got my antique plates today!!!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That would be great, but here in New England, the police tend to be a little picky about having both "real" plates on the car. Otherwise would have never spent the money to get one of these. Well, I guess I might have.......heck, I would have anyhow, just to have one.
No doubt, yours probably looks cool too.

R6MGS

Yoda
Cops are pretty picky about both plates `round here too....If you notice the red MGA in my sig has standard historical plates with authentic english plates behind, and I've been pulled over a few times for having it like that....Usually just a warning and a "I'll take them off as soon as I get home, officer".

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Sure, now you come up with the C-note offer.................

Where were you when I was a poor struggling LBC owner begging for extra chrome for my barren lonely front bumper??

G

If I'd known you could have had it.

I bought it to try to adapt for a 73, but its not a great fit. I have the stabilising bars with it too. I'm going to do something custom instead.

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It's too bad that the police in some states are really picky about front plates. It's not that way here in Boulder. If I'm cruising around and a cop sees that my front plate, although not state issue, has the same letter/number combo as my rear plate, I think they just disregard the fact that the front plate isn't state stuff. Then again, they're probably also admiring the car itself!!!

swift6

Yoda
Colorado is a picky state on having both plates. Fort Collins is like that because we have photo radar vans and red light cameras. They photograph both front and rear plates (rear plate without flash from the vans so polarizing agents/covers don't work. I did what David did with the euro style plate on the front. However most LEO's don't seem to concerned about it on older cars. Especially if they are in nice condition.

P3100005.jpg

So far, my euro style plate has passed muster with state, county and city officers (from multiple cities). My sister is in local law enforcement and she said that some traffic officers might have fun with me but it didn't bother her. I recently encountered a well known "traffic nazi" officer at a gas station. He saw the front plate, walked around and checked the rear plate, saw that they matched, and then asked what year the car was. No fuss from him either. I've had my euro style plate on the car for five years now. I think I got mine through TripleC. Though when I ordered it the nice lady on the other end of the phone was very confused trying to figure out what the plate meant. They are used to doing plates like "REDTR6" and such.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

richards

Jedi Hopeful
interesting license plates: see
licenseplates.tv
I ordered a personalized plate from Calif. DMV, it only comes it white.
Then I had licenseplates.tv make a "blue plate" with the same numbers and letters. So now my car has the year matching proper color of plate, with the current numbers and letters.
If I had a TR3, I would have gotten a black plate.

Check out the site. Old cars should have old looking plates on them (I think).

All cars look way better WITHOUT THE FRONT PLATE. So I take my chances.....

swift6

Yoda
There are several cars in the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club that run without front plates. A few have recieved tickets, most have not.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
I took the frame off my 74 and drilled a couple of holes in the bumper of 72 and bolted in place. Fit perfectly. and looks good.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mine just arrived today. It's not in bad shape at all. When I rechrome bumpers this winter, this will go along too.

Due to the fact that I've never had one of these and have only seen them with a plate on the front, are both holes drilled through the bumper on the front? I appreciate any advice or pics before I drill.

I didn't get the stabilizer bars, so I'll have to make something for those. TRF had the rubber/plastic insulators listed, so I ordered them new, but did it on line so I don't know if they are actually in stock.

R6MGS

Yoda
I'am going to do a photo shoot tomorrow with the TR6 to get some updated pics, so I'll try to remember to get some pics of the holder and mounting....Like i said before it will take a few days as I gotta print/scan them in.

BTW: Switf6, that is a beautiful car.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Swift:

Who's rollbar is that? Moss, VB, TRF, Paeco?

Thanks,