• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Wheel Track Spec

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
Are the Front and Rear Wheels the same track distance for the 1956 TR3, or if different can someone let me know the difference? Thanks, Tim

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The early books show a 1/2" difference, but the later books don't. I'm guessing that means the later axle (which came in during 1956) is 1/2" narrower than the early one.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My 3rd edition TR2 service instruction manual with the original owners name, address, phone number and date (1956) written on the inside cover, lists under car dimensions/track -Front 3'9" and Rear 3'9 1/2".

I think all the TR3 frames were the same, so the difference should be 1/2".

I walked into the garage, and using a tape measure, those values seem to be reversed. I'm sure tire selection is a variable, but my tires are the same type/size (Sears 165 15) so I don't really understand.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
The track changed 1" during TR2 when they went from 4" to 4.5" disc wheels, but that doesn't seem to have been recorded.

To explain the odd 1/2" rear track variation shown in service books, perhaps the Lockheed axle on drum braked TR2/3's was 1/2" wider overall than the Girling axle on disc brake TR3's. That could be 1/4" per side in the different hub arrangement.

Anyhow, the track was 1" wider again with 48 spoke wire wheels instead of steel wheels, due to the way the spline was fitted.

Viv.

OP
RedTR3

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
Sorry, I apologize, my question was in error: this is really a 1957 TR3 with the disk brakes - (Someone in the past reagistered it with the DMV as a '56 and put on an early smallmouth apron.)

So is the track equal then?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RedTR3 said:
and put on an early smallmouth apron.)
If you want to fix that, we should get together. I have a 56 that should have a smallmouth (even though it has disc brakes), which has been fitted with a later large mouth apron. I would definitely be interested in swapping parts. Of course our cars are different colors, so we both would have to repaint ...

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
vivdownunder said:
Yep, with steel wheels the track is 3' 9" at both ends...

I believe mine (a '59) is narrower at the rear than the front -- it is quite noticeable when the car is on a lift and the rear tires are closer to the inner edge of the decks than the front tires are.

No idea if that is just mine or if some published data is incorrect.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
RedTR3 said:
Sorry, I apologize, my question was in error: this is really a 1957 TR3 with the disk brakes - (Someone in the past reagistered it with the DMV as a '56 and put on an early smallmouth apron.)

So is the track equal then?

If yours is a '57, it should have the smallmouth apron. What's the commission number?

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Mickey Richaud said:
If yours is a '57, it should have the smallmouth apron. What's the commission number?

You are right to ask for the commision number, Mickey.

22014 was the first widemouth and it was made in late '57. September or October, I think.

OP
RedTR3

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
Comm number is 29836LO on the tag but I don't trust the tag to be right either, it could have been added at some point by a previous owner. The fasteners that attach the tag do not look original. Sorry but the history of this car is quite muddled.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The front inner wings will reveal if they were for a smallmouth or largemouth apron. The smallmouth versions have holes for the turn/park lights to stick through. On the largemouth, they are only big dimples, not open to the wheelwell.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Geo, I always reckon the wheelbase looks to be narrower at the rear than the front on my 3A too. Think it's to do with the different frame widths at each end.

Way to tell is to measure across the very bottom of the rims, front and rear. There could be a small variation from 3' 9" at the front wheels due to suspension wear, or if the car had a knock and the frame wasn't repaired accurately.

Viv.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
RedTR3 said:
Comm number is 29836LO on the tag but I don't trust the tag to be right either, it could have been added at some point by a previous owner. The fasteners that attach the tag do not look original. Sorry but the history of this car is quite muddled.

That commission number is definitely a '58 TR3A, at least according to VTR: https://www.vtr.org/TR2/TR2-production.shtml

The '57 I had was 16162.