• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3-4 owners: wheel poll

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Might have to bite the bullet and seek new wheels. Mine are bent (from "just barely" to "no way can we fix that") and the rear-end wobble makes driving over 50mph a bit dicey.

I'm wondering what steel wheels most of you 3 and 4 drivers are running. As I want to stick with steel (can't afford changing to wires), I'm just seeking the trend on steel.

Original steel factory wheels.

Mini-lite replicas.

Panasport.

Other (please explain).

Thanks.
Tom

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif

To my eyes, the original steel wheels or wires look best on the TR3's.

D

DougF

I'm running Dayton 60 spoke chrome wires on my 3. High maintenance to keep clean...but when they are....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I had the Mini-Lite reps on mine, though they and the Panasports are similar. Nice look to 'em.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR6 steel wheels will fit, and let you use more performance-oriented tires (eg 185/65-15).

Wires are WAY too much work to maintain on a daily driver.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
My TR2 will have the original steel, painted the same color as the body.(either BRG or signal red. I haven't decided yet)
I have a set of 48 spoke wires and adapters, but I don't think I'm going to use them.
The new "summer sale" 234-4a catalog from Moss shows a white TR4 with red steel rims. I really like that!

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Nutmeg;

Should you be Int: I have a set of "5 TR4 Rims w/Michelins mounted on them "For Sale":

The Tires are Good to Exc. & the Rims are Exc: They are currently painted "Spa White": $500.00 for the Whole thing but You must pick-up:

Should you have an Interest; Just PM me & I`ll try to get some pics over the weekend (Digital is Dead):

I would also meet you somewhere mid-way on RT.84 thats convienant for the Both of Us: Where in CT do you live?

See Ya Later;

Russ

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
The Tr6 wheels are a good choice,or... find a good set of 60 spk MGB wires,lots around and cheap, get good used adaptors,get a set of 185/70x14 tires, also cheap, and mount on your TR3. It looks beefy and cool and good road handling.All for about the same price as new mini's

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
posting pix is a drag

Attachments

• 6053-T3#11.jpg
    6053-T3#11.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 126

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I like the look of the stock steel wheels but it is interesting what a difference the various wheel choices make in the appearance of the car.

Even the 14" MGB wires (I cringed when I read that) actually look good, they fill the wheelwell more than I expected.

Randall, IIRC you did something crafty to get the stock TR3 hubcaps mounted to the TR6 rims (for the sTeRoids look).

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here is link to a picture of my TR3A with MGB wheels and 175SR14 tires on it. The overall diameter of the mounted tire is very close to a 165R15 tire, about 1/2 inch. i needed new tires and friend in my car club offered me a set of 60 spoke chrome wires with good tires mounted for $250.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1498

These are similar to Box of Rocks car. I think the beefiness of the tires give the car a robust look.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
Randall, IIRC you did something crafty to get the stock TR3 hubcaps mounted to the TR6 rims (for the sTeRoids look).
True. I didn't care for the look of the TR6 hubcaps on the 3; nor for aftermarket wheel covers; so I fabricated a crude approximation of the orignal TR3 hubcap mounts.

I drilled & tapped each wheel for (3) 1/4" bolts. Cut some 1/4" spacers spacers from 1/4" id steel tubing (leftover from a previous project). Put the bolts & spacers into the wheels with Loctite, then used a grinder to shape the relevant side of the head & spacer. Took some adjustments (had to remake one of the bolts after I ground too much off), but overall it worked out well.

I don't really like the TR6 trim rings, though. They don't let enough of the wheels show (and no trim ring shows too much). Hopefully someday I'll pick up a proper set of TR3 trim rings.

Or, now that I have more money and less time, I may just go for some alloy wheels.

BTW, I picked up the TR6 wheels for $15-20 each (from various sources), but had to buy 5 of them to find 4 reasonably straight ones. Since they do sometimes crack under hard use, I didn't want to mess with trying to straighten a bent wheel. The bent wheel drove OK, but I got tired of people telling me it was coming off /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
TR250's are a bit narrower than a TR6 and look great...and you can adapt the original hub caps, too.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Geo, I glad to have been of service. To show that DPO's are alive and well,and posting on this forum. Remind me to share my recipe for chili on the grill.

PSUTR3B

Factory steel wheels look great. I like the look of the original steel wheels better than wires on TR3's, though I suspect that is a minority opinion.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There DougF;

I just read your post on High Maintenance for Wires:

I have Dayton 60 spoke Chrome Wires on My TR4A: Yrs ago; I stopped by a Local "Detail Shop" with My E-Type to get a good Buff & Wax: The owner took out a spray bottle of some "Purple Colored Stuff" / Hosed the rims / Sprayed this purple stuff on them / Hosed off in a min. or so / WaLa; Sparkly Clean, Bright & Drip Dry with no Water marks! $35.00 Gal. but well worth it! Lasts quite a while; Atleast a Season or Two / One season for myself as I use it weekly; Preventive Maintenance:

Your going to ask me what is it or whats it called? Well; I don`t know: You can`t buy it in any Auto Parts Store: Strictly distributed to Commercial Customers like Detail Shops: Its Industrial Strength stuff: "Don`t try it on Alum or Polished Mat`l"!! It`ll eat it alive; Meaning take the Polish right off! Chrome Steel only! Its Fabulous:

Ask your local Detail Shop about it & or I`m going to get more shortly & I`ll post what this stuff is; If My Detailer Tells Me??

Interesting, Fun, Time Saving. Quality Stuff for Your LBC;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yup, takes the paint right off, I'll bet. The stuff I got from British Wire Wheel cleans chrome nicely, but contains lye and will eat paint.