• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Sun VIsors

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
My family asked me for my Christmas wish list and one thing I've never gotten around to getting are the Moss acrylic sun visors. I'd appreciate opinions from members here who have these: like or not like?

Thanks, Tim

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If your head is close to the top of the windshield you'll like them.
Here's mine plus wind wings on my TR6.
100_0440.jpg

100_0435.jpg

I got them here:
https://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=54&osCsid=79421763c0d...

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Clearly indicates a sign of weakness in TR3 drivers. If we were weak people we would have roll up windows and permanent windscreens in place.
Aeroscreens and sunglasses are the answer.

What was the question again?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Need one of those top dealies for the Wedge

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If we were weak people we would have roll up windows and permanent windscreens in place.

What was the question again?[/QUOTE]

You forgot the cigarette, dangling off the lower lip. And instructions about what evasive measures to take when encountering the snow plow.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Quote:
If we were weak people we would have roll up windows and permanent windscreens in place.
And a heater that will keep your right knee warm!

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My opinion is that a hat, with a proper brim to shade the eyes, is all one needs in a TR3. That -- and I still haven't figured out where the accessory sun-visors are supposed to clamp onto...

A picture of a proper hat (the beard is also a good thing to have, given the generally accepted low output of the heater)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moseso said:
That -- and I still haven't figured out where the accessory sun-visors are supposed to clamp onto...
You cut the rear edge of the rubber gasket on the windshield, so the visors clamp onto the exposed metal lip. Obviously you then have to remove them to fit the top.

I tried them once, didn't care for them.

PeterK

Yoda
I have a set of old browish tinted visors (the lens are sparkled from age) that came on my 3A.

Instead of cutting the top gasket, the gasket just lifts around the visor brackets where it clamps to the windscreen surround. To soft top fits fine even with the visors iinstalled. I haven't fitted the hardtop yet so I can't say if it will interfere.

I like them, don't generally wear sunglasses ot hats, and the visor provides a nice shield from the sun in my eyes.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Are you guys seriously suggesting driving with the top down and windows up?!? I don't care if it's 30 degrees out and the top won't close (been there) you drive with the windows up, you be pulled over within minutes! That has got to be the biggest traffic violationg I can think of!

Moseso said:
My opinion is that a hat, with a proper brim to shade the eyes, is all one needs in a TR3. That -- and I still haven't figured out where the accessory sun-visors are supposed to clamp onto...

A picture of a proper hat (the beard is also a good thing to have, given the generally accepted low output of the heater)

No freakin way! I wear a very similar hat in navy too! My experience is visors blind you, and doesnt seem to block out the sun the majority of the time. Plus, being a girl I have long hair, so to keep my hair from smacking me in the face benifits everyone on the road, not just me. I don't like wearing sunglasses or having my hair up so it works well.

PeterK

Yoda
TR3's don't have side windows; they just barely have doors :laugh: . And the top doesn't hinge up and down. You have to erect the top frame as you install the vinyl top to the car. And yes I have installed the sidescreens on the doors with the top off. The heater certainly won't keep us warm if the temp is in the 30s. What's the safety violation anyhoo?

As far as wind in a 3, suffice it to say that there's a lot - a kin to driving a motorcycle. And it is a blast to drive, hair back or down (I have a long ponytail.)

But the visors DO help me with glare from the sun that shines OVER the top on the windscreen (I leave mine in the UP position.) If you are vertically challenged, you probably can't see over the top so it wouldn't matter.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
UmmYeahOk said:
That has got to be the biggest traffic violationg I can think of!
Huh? I see people do that all the time; kind of like a big sunroof. Don't think it's illegal here, I'd be surprised if it was in Texas.

And yes, I even see people drive TR3s with the sidescreens installed and the top down. Makes perfect sense when the wind is cold but the sun is warm (a common occurrence around here). The sidescreens cut down a huge amount on wind even without the top.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
TR3driver said:
UmmYeahOk said:
That has got to be the biggest traffic violationg I can think of!
Huh? I see people do that all the time; kind of like a big sunroof. Don't think it's illegal here, I'd be surprised if it was in Texas.

I am afraid you guys don't understand. It's not a safety violation, it's a fashion violation. Probably the only thing worse than driving with the top down and windows up is probably driving with your fuel door open! And believe me, the fashion police will get you. The reason you probably see so many violators is probably the same reason you see so few people signal. They don't care they're breaking laws. They probably don't even care that they are driving as there are probably 10 things more important (they think) going on.

As far as TRs not having things so basic proves that I know very little about these cars, but I do have to ask "why so primitive?" And for being a British car where it's overcast, foggy, damp, and cold 10 months out of the year I'm surprised Triumph lasted as long as they did. Not to be bashing the manufacturer, but honestly, they invested too much in convertibles. In a world where convertibles are created from coupes and sedans, they were making coupes from convertibles (ex: GT6)

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
it's a fashion violation.

Fashion police be d*mned! :angel: I’m a cranky old man who does not care what anyone else thinks of the way I look. I drive a convertible as my daily driver. My intension is to have the top down anytime the temperature is 40 degrees or above unless it is raining, because I like driving with the top down. If this means that I have the windows up and a hooded sweatshirt on with the hood up so what! I’m happy and if it really bothers you, take a different street. :banana:

I will let someone else address your comments about the side screen TRs.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I have to admit, I agree with Um. When I'm in the TR4, those windows stay DOWN.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
If I lived in Texas or Arizona, I would agree. :yesnod:
The windows are down if it is 50 or above. Below that the numb fingers makes driving too much of a hassle. :driving:

So the consensus is that if the windows are up the top should be also? :nonod:

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Hey who's making the rules around here ? Mahmoud Ahmadi-Najad or somebody ?