• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Optional Rear Seat

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha,

What is centerline width (front to back over the drive line) of the optional rear seat in a pre TS60001 TR3? Also what is the approximate thickness of the seat cushion? I'm considering making one or at least a flat shelf similar to the rear set shelf of the post TS60001 TR3s. Thanks.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Dave Larnder in Spain wrote a very nice article how he made one for his early 1958 TR3A in the latest TR Action, the magazine of the TR Register in UK.

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Don,

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a copy of the article. I'm not a member of that organization so I don't receive "TR Action".

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Dave I am not exactly sure what was there in the beginning in 1972 when I purchased my first 1958tr3 because it had a seat with no brackets and at that time I did not know anybody that had one. So I went to the junk yard and picked around until I found a couple of those U shaped metal brackets. Then if memory serves I took the original piece of wood out from under the seat vinyl and replaced it with a 2x6 and just put the vinyl back over the 2x6. The original I think had a slight curve cut in the face of it, maybe an inch or so for the total arch, but the wood was shot. Anyway the 2x6 looked original and my kids road back there for years. I still have the seat, but I took it out for some reason, I think when I put new carpet in. Anyway it was simple and easy and the floor and the upright had caged bolts for the brackets to bolt too. The brackets are basically flat stock maybe 1 ½ wide and a ¼ thick bent into a U shape with a small 90 on the end to accommodate the front bolt. Somebody awhile back posted a picture of an original seat with the brackets, and it looked just like mine. If you cannot find that, I will take a picture for you. I have the seat out and sitting somewhere in the garage. So to answer your question the seat is about 6 inches thick. I guess you could make it thicker if you do not have the seats back all the way.

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the approximate measurement. I was thinking that about 8 inches is about the maximum I could make it. From photos I've seen your estimate of a 1 inch or so of arch seems about right.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I don't know why anyone would want a seat in the rear of his sidescreen TR. I pack more stuff into small carry-on bags than I could if I had a seat in there. And no-one can use that seat these days - no room for your knees and with seat-belt laws. I have an early TR3A (1958) and when I ordered it, I told the S-T dealer to remove the rear seat to keep the cost down and to allow me to toss a couple of soft cushions in there that let a third person sit on the cushions. The third person would sit across the rear with his (her) feet in the rear over behind the other seat.

In 1958, it came with no seat-belts and there were no seat-belt laws. We sure had a ball.

OP
MGTF1250Dave

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Don,

It is not that I intend to have it any one sit on it, I would like a flat surface to put packages and boxes on when I run errands. Your are correct about leg room, I don't think a small child could sit comfortably in that confined space. My intent was to try and make have a look of originality.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Aloha, Dave, is this any help?
mrv8q said:
IMG_0379.jpg

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Hi Dave(and Emmett),

For quick and easy, Moss Motors has the rear seat kits off the shelf in both leather and vynil. They have either the "radiused front" type for the pre 60,000 cars like the above, or the "straight across the front" type for the post 60,000 cars. About $230 gets you the later type in vynil with the brackets, so almost not worth scratch building, providing one of their 5 colours matches your car.

Regards,

Viv.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Dave the seat that anglef shows is exactly like mine and thanks anglef for sparking a couple of nice memories. In fact, I think I recognized that piece of wood.

PeterK

Yoda
The brackets that I had came with the kit from VickyBrit purchased by the PO. They are not original otherwise I might have kept the seat, but probably not. I like having the extra room and I built 6x9 speakers into the recesses. I'll take a picture if anyone is interested.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Functional? No. Cool? Big YES, in my opinion. It personifies an era
gone by...the time when, but is nearly no longer there. It's special and rare to see. Neat.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Yup... just like the early Merc SLs and their little fold-down 'kinderseats', or children's seats. Quite a throwback, but I'm not sure you'd want to do too much mileage with a munchkin sliding around back there, these days!

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had a 190SL with a kinder seat in the rear...the 'kinder' sat sideways on a half seat behind the passenger with their feet in the opposite well...really not much room to bang around.
If you really want to go broke buying car parts get a 190SL...if you can afford a 300SL you wouldn't even think about the dough.
The TR3 rear seats do make great luggage shelves though.