• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Best Upgrades

CI_TR3

Country flag
I inherited a TR3 from a very good friend last year. I have not had a chance to do much work to it because it is currently in a storage unit, but I am in the process of building a garage and will hopefully get it home by fall. My friend was the original owner and the car is in pretty good shape other than the fact that it has sat idle for the last 7 or 8 years as he battled cancer. My goal for the car (at least right now) is to have as reliable a driver as possible and not worry about keeping everything original. My friend and his wife were full of great stories of trips and adventures in the TR and I think what they would appreciate most is my wife and I doing the same.

Anyway, to make a long story short (or maybe it is too late for that) due to some unforseen circumstances I currently have $2500 that I need to spend in the next couple of months on TR parts. I know it would be better to get the car driving and figure out what it needs, but that is just not possible right now. So, what parts, upgrades, etc would everyone recommend I buy now for instillation later that will get me a more reliable driver. I would prefer to get some of the more expensive items now. So far I have been thinking of the following:

Aluminum Radiator with electric fan(Wizard?)
Electronic Ignition (which one?)
Alternator conversion
Better fuel pump (which one?)
Better starter (which one?)

Not sure what else? I could always go ahead and get a new carpet kit or seat kit if I had extra money although what is currently in the car is in fair shape.

Once I get the car home and project started I will post pictures. Sorry for the long post and I appreciate everyone's help.

M

Member 10617

My two cents worth:

Aluminum radiator with electric fan (perhaps, but expensive)
Electronic ignition (no) -- stick with points
Alternator -- new one if the old one cannot be rebuilt
High torque starter
Rebuild distributor with new advance curve by Advance Distributors
Complete carb rebuild kit, or have someone do it
Fuel pump -- remain with stock

Assuming that all your basic systems are good, especially your brake system, clutch, exhaust system, et.

That should use up your $2,500.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Rack and pinion
5-speed conversion or O/D.
That will eat up all of the $2500.
Remember "It's only money"

M

Member 10617

..... and, oh yes, I should have added: oil filter conversion kit for modern screw-on oil filter. You probably will want to have someone install this for you as it can be a bit tricky, and you don't want it to fail on the road...

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I really think that the car should be totally evaluated before you spend a dime on it. Sitting for 7 to 8 years can do funny things to "good" cars. You need to take compression readings on the engine to find out it's general health. Thoroughly check the brake system with an eye on rebuilding all of the components. The fuel system needs to be checked for any leaks or possible leaks to include the fuel tank. Cooling system checked for leaks etc. What you want is to get the car to safely operate as it was designed to do 50 years ago. Drive it around awhile and then see if anything needs "upgrading". You might be surprised that nothing does.

OP
C

CI_TR3

Country flag
Thanks for the advice and I totally agree. The kicker is that I have this money to spend in the next couple of months or I lose it (it is part of an insurance claim that is getting closed out with the estate). I figure I might as well get stuff now and if I end up not needing it I can try and sell it down the road.

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not sure about the circumstances behind the insurance claim, but I wish I had an extra $2500 to spend on my car! All the above responses should be considered. Not sure if you can go look at the car while its in storage, but you may want to think about looking at it to see if it needs aesthetic things like a new roof or interior.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I drove my TR3A daily for about 20 years (until it got wrecked); now I'm driving a TR3 almost every day. Here's my $.02 worth:

#1 for frequent freeway driving IMO would be wider wheels and sticky tires. Tire choices are very limited in the original sizes, and there are simply no skinny high performance tires available. You don't need to go overboard (I'm using TR6 wheels which are 5.5" wide) but find a tire rated at least "high performance" at Tire Rack and wheels to suit. Even if you never plan to drive hard, you'll be grateful for the sticky tires when someone cuts you off (and that will happen if you drive very much).

#2 would be an overdrive. Unfortunately, that will eat up most of your $2500 (depending on how much of the work you are willing to tackle yourself).

#3 Halogen H4 headlamps.

The original radiator can be made to work well, with a new core and reinforcements around the upper tank and hose fitting. Aluminum should do fine as well. Electric fan is optional (my opinion), but without it you will need to keep an eye on the T-gauge in heavy traffic, and shut the engine off when you have the chance.

Alternator conversion is good, but not absolutely essential unless you do a lot of night or winter driving. I'm still using the original generator on my TR3, and the only problems have been due to a bad battery (or leaving the lights on).

My opinion, there is no advantage to replacing the stock fuel pump; just rebuild it with a new diaphragm (that will resist ethanol). I carry an electric pump as a spare, but I have never needed it for my TR (only other cars with failed electric pumps and the occasional fuel transfer).

I got my gear-drive starter from TRF. Very worthwhile, especially if you have a pre-TS50000 car. But be sure to get the starter that matches the flywheel; it's not unusual to find that someone has swapped flywheels around.

Also consider adding a front sway bar. Not essential, but does help with stability at freeway speeds, IMO.

R&P is a waste of money IMHO. For $30 in parts (and another 430 if you don't own a dial indicator) you can rebuild the stock steering box to work just fine. And you get to keep that cool control head working as it should.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
CI_TR3 said:
...So far I have been thinking of the following:

Aluminum Radiator with electric fan(Wizard?)
Electronic Ignition (which one?)
Alternator conversion
Better fuel pump (which one?)
Better starter (which one?)

None of those excite me much -- as evidenced by my having driven my current TR3A for 30+ years w/o any of those 'upgrades'. I'm not a purist (though I like the mostly stock look & drive) but just saw no need for those items.

The upgrades I have done:

Overdrive gearbox -- Very nice if you're doing a lot of highway cruising or mountain driving, if not -- still very nice.

Tropical Fan -- An original option for hotter climates but (IMO) worthwhile wherever you drive if you'll still be using the crank-mounted fan.

Spin-on oil filter adaptor -- Just a nice gift to yourself to simplify what can be a messy job.

H4 Headlamps -- My aging night vision appreciates more light & better aim.

Headlamp relay -- My dash switch appreciates less load, may also brighten the headlamps.

It's an odd problem you have with a need to spend now. I like the gift certificate suggestion if that will fly, otherwise an overdrive gearbox from Quantumechanics will solve your need quite thoroughly.

IMG25_small.JPG

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'm with Geo, Art, Randall and others here who suggest that there are very, very few "gotta have" upgrades, particularly for the money that might be spent on them. As they and others have suggested, I would determine a: what the car NEEDS to deal with any problems, and b: what you plan to do with it. OD is nice (although IMO not nearly as necessary on the big TRs as some people feel -- but then I come from the "buzzing away at freeway speeds" Herald/Spitfire camp!), but it's really pretty extravagant if you'll primarily use the car for weekend rides in the country, etc.

If it were me, I'd look at your "dilemma" this way:

1. If there are things the car really needs to have put right (by which I mean back to as near perfect as original spec's allowed), do those things with the best quality parts you can get. Each day I become a yet greater fan of NOS parts when available and OEM parts after that. I've wasted too much time and money over the years saving a few pennies on some of the ... uh ... lesser quality "pattern" parts out there.

2. Once the above is out of the way (or if it takes very little of your budget), I'd then look at the possibility of spending it on on something like upholstery, carpeting, top/side curtains or other big-ticket items that you might otherwise make do with but might truly make the car look better.

3. (Maybe should be #1): get a really good set of tires regardless and, unless you're really into obsessive-compulsive originality, they should be radials. And yeah, drop into Walmart or Pep Boys and pick up a couple halogen sealed-beams at least; they really do work much better than the typical 45-year-old tungsten-filament bulbs! :wink:

For whatever it's worth, I've spent the last 10 years or so driving a Herald regularly if not daily, and the only "upgrades" I've felt were necessary were radials, the halogen headlamps, and the period AM/FM radio! All else has stayed stock, right down to the front drum brakes, and it's been fine! :driving:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
What are you planning to do with the car? How used? Solo or with family and friends? Are you comfortable doing all of your own work?

If everything else checks out then in my experience then an overdrive or 5 speed will fundamentally change how you use the car.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
If its a spend window you have, then yes I would look into picking up an original overdrive. They make highway driving even more enjoyable. And with an original overdrive, its pretty much an investment you can sell off later if you decide you don't want to go that route.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with all the fellows here; unfortunately, you don't know what you don't know. For instance, you might need a new wiring harness, or not; you just don't know.

As the fairly long time owner of a mostly original TR3, I know I dream of a 5 speed gearbox, ala the HVDA W58 version....

Nevertheless, I do know you are going to have fun with your '3!

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
I second the gift certificates idea, that way the money is spent on paper but you still have it available for the car in the future. Or just send it out to us needy guys with cars to restore. I have a long list of things my car needs that I'd be happy to spend your money on LOL.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If you could get someone who is TR-knowledgeable and understands what you plan to do with the car they could help you make a formidable shopping list. That was my wife's job when we got our TR -- she made her list and pored over the catalogs from the Big 3 to get the right stuff:

k%20lists.JPG

Of course you may have to turn over the guest room to the project once UPS begins its daily deliveries:

parts-2.JPG

OP
C

CI_TR3

Country flag
Wow, thanks for the great replies and advice. It has given me a lot of food for thought. Overall, it sounds to me like a lot of the upgrades are not really needed to have a reliable driver. That is what I was mainly looking for. Are there certain systems that are just known to be a weak point in the TR3 that I should plan on upgrading. For example, I was told by a local TR guy that the radiators created many overheating issues and that upgrading the radiator was a must. Looks like the OD transmission may be one of those items that really increase drivability. It would make sense to me to spend this money on a high dollar item that may be harder to swallow on my own. I know I will be spending dollars on lots of other things along the way.

I think the gift certificate idea is a very good one. I will check with the insurance guy and see if that will fly but I am not really optimistic on that one.

The car will most likely be a weekend driver with the occasional longer trip a couple of times a year. I want to do a lot of the work myself (and learn as I go) but would also like to find a competent mechanic that can help we with the really complex stuff (carbs scare me). I live an hour north of Seattle, WA. Anyone have a good recommendation?

I will investigate the transmission options a little more. Anyone have some general thoughts on the OD transmission versus a toyota conversion?

Thanks Again!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CI_TR3 said:
I will investigate the transmission options a little more. Anyone have some general thoughts on the OD transmission versus a toyota conversion?

That borders on a religious discussion! Everyone I know that has a Toy 5-speed manual is very happy with it; but I much prefer the 7-speed semi-automatic. Having another gear available at the flip of a switch can be very handy. Plus it seems like the essence of "old British Sports Car"; like having a "push to start" button instead of just turning the key like every other car.

The major downside is that after 50 or 60 years, it's bound to have been rebuilt at least once (or need it now), and even the professionals don't always get it right the first time. There's also the issue of replacement parts not always being as good as the originals. My solenoid failed a few weeks ago after only 15 years or so of service, while the original one (in my previous TR3A with factory OD) lasted nearly 40 years.
Plus I think the extra complexity intimidates people (switches and wires and relays Oh My).

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
IMO, the radiator "issue" is a nonissue. If the stock radiator is clean and intact, the block is clean and other parts of the cooling system are present and functioning properly, they don't overheat. Period. Possibly in extreme climates...but then there was Triumph's optional "tropical fan"! Oh, and on a 3A it does help to have the behind-the-grille shrouds in place.

Again my own opinion, but if you have a functional stock gearbox, drive the car awhile before you splurge on an upgrade to either OD or Toyota five-speed. Sure, they're nice if you do a lot of highway/freeway driving, but you're looking at most of $2k for either, and it's a pretty long payback period.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
IMO, the radiator "issue" is a non issue. If the stock radiator is clean and intact, the block is clean and other parts of the cooling system are present and functioning properly, they don't overheat. Period. Possibly in extreme climates...but then there was Triumph's optional "tropical fan"! Oh, and on a 3A it does help to have the behind-the-grille shrouds in place.

Again my own opinion, but if you have a functional stock gearbox, drive the car awhile before you splurge on an upgrade to either OD or Toyota five-speed. Sure, they're nice if you do a lot of highway/freeway driving, but you're looking at most of $2k for either, and it's a pretty long payback period.

Andy: I agree with you completely! The engine on Grey Lady is about as fresh as they come and her original radiator (with hole) was refurbished. The weather here in SE PA has been hellish, mid nineties to one-hundred degrees. We went for a drive yesterday and today and sat in traffic for maybe 15 - 20 minutes several times because of an accident. My temperature gauge never went higher than 180! I'm very chuffed. :driving: