• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3A Trunk handle screw

Arrow

Country flag
I am closing in on complete restoration. I have four trunks-hard to believe but all four are missing the screw that goes into the trunk handle square post inside the trunk. Anyone know what it is. Pan head? Flat head? Thread pitch? Any one have a picture? Thanks

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Believe it or not, there isn't one. The handle is designed to take a screw, but it isn't used in this application. The lock arm is held in place by a separate bracket and floats on the shaft from the handle.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Far be it from me to question anything Randall says about TR3's. He's bailed me out more than a few times, but my '61 TR3 does have a screw in the shaft of the trunk handle. When I did teardown I took the two screws out of the bezel, pulled and pulled on the handle and finally saw the screw inside. The previous two cars I had owned did not have that screw. I will say however the screw head was painted body color and appeared to be original to the car, so I put it back in when I put the car back together. It is a #10 about 3/4" long, oval head. Sorry, but I don't know what thread...guessing 32 tpi. The only difference I can tell (in vs out) is the handle wobbles a little less in. I guess I'm "screwed" in concourse judging:friendly_wink:. I'd say 99.999% go with what Randall says. Without the screw, someone could remove the screws from the bezel, pull the handle out and open your "locked" trunk. Which is about the only real place to lock up valuables.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Found a "known" 32 tpi screw. so the screw is Oval head,#10, 3/4", 32tpi. I tried it and it did fit. I'll leave it to you to decide if you get one or not.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I will say however the screw head was painted body color
That should be a tipoff right there. The factory obviously did not install the handle before painting the body! So someone has been there before you and not only changed things but tried to hide the changes.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Found a "known" 32 tpi screw. so the screw is Oval head,#10, 3/4", 32tpi. I tried it and it did fit. I'll leave it to you to decide if you get one or not.

It might have "fit", but most likely it's a 2BA thread. A lot of the threads on the TR3 that are smaller then 1/4" are BA threads, especially body hardware. The 2BA is very similar in size to a 10-32, but the diameter is slightly different and it has 31.4 tpi. Also, the angle of the threads are different.

How far did you get the screw to go in? Usually a 10-32 will bind up within a 1/4" or so. Perhaps the PO re-tapped the thread.

See this link for info on BA threads...https://www.britishfasteners.com/threads/

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
OK. It doesn't go there. Some prior owner was just sitting admiring his car one day and said " Everything is perfect on this car except it needs a screw in the truck handle." Will you at least give me?... "If it's not there you can take the two screws out of the handle bezel, pull the handle out and turn the whole thing and open the trunk." I can't test it because I don't have the key for the handle anyway. Upon a closer look, the paint is overspray from prior paint work. I trust what Randall says, but I've got the special limited edition trunk screw version....very rare and valuable. Humor injected for the overly serious reader.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I wonder how many TR3 owner have checked their trunk for this "rare option" since reading these post. You can tell how busy I am...I took the screw out, ran a 10-32 nut all the way up the"original" screw and ran a 10-32 screw into the handle to its limit. I guess someone could have tapped it for a 10-32 but why tap for a screw that doesn't even belong there and isn't needed to start with . I'm going to keep mine in there as a conversation piece.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got the special limited edition trunk screw version....very rare and valuable.

laughing.gif

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I doubt one philips head screw was original. Mine had none when i got it, but it didnt even have a trunk handle. Both 'original' trunk handles i got off ebay had the center screw. The latch is the same as one of the spare latches.