• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sun block for lbc owners

PeterK

Yoda
My wife is a two time breast cancer survivor. First 16 years ago and the a couple of years ago she finished agressive chemotherapy followed by radiation for her second occurrance.

The TR3A is her car, I am just the driver and chief mechanic. The TR4A is my project that I have still not driven or even heard run.

A few months ago Cathy developed a mole on her cheek. We know the drill so she immediately went to the doctor and had it removed. Pathology showed is was melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer, usually caused by sun exposure. Because of her history they did CTs and also removed a larger area around the mole and a lymph node to check for spread. The node was clear but the CT showed a suspicious nodule in her lung. We never though in a million years that we would have to go through this again. We hoped that the lung nodule was anything but melanoma. Good Friday they removed a section of her right lung for biopsy. It was melanoma and she is now being treated with Interferon for a year. It is a tough treatment. Melanoma is resistant to most therapies, there is no cure but some people live years after diagnosis. Most don't.

My reason for this post is to remind everyone of the danger of sun exposure. It's not just a TV commercial - there is NO cure.

As we drove the 3A around with the top off, the sun beat down on us and couldn't avoid getting burned, even with sunblock. My wife is a redhead (it even came back red after chemo!) and I am blonde so we are at greatest risk. Please wear sunblock SPF30 at minimum. This is a terrible disease which can usually be avoided. If you see a suspicious looking mole, please go in and have it checked.

We're not religious people but if you know something/someone we don't, please put in a good word/prayer for Cathy.

Thanks,
Pete

4aKen

Jedi Trainee
Re: Sub block for lbc owners

Having grown up in Newport Beach surfing in the 60s I can't go out in the sun for over 10 minutes now.
I hope the best for Cathy and that some younger folks especially will heed your important message.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Pete,
Very good advice...my wife has had small cancerous skin issues for years (very light skined gal)..I use my top only in the summer just for the shade.
I hope that treatment, fighting attitude and time are all on your side and we'll pray for you...
"We're not religious people but if you know something/someone we don't, please put in a good word/prayer for Cathy"....maybe you are a bit more than you think.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag

I'm so sorry to hear what your wife and you are going through. I will certainly heed your advice.

PeterK said:
We're not religious people but if you know something/someone we don't, please put in a good word/prayer for Cathy.

Thanks,
Pete

I'm not particularly religious myself either, but my sister is. Sometimes I think she has a hotline to the big guy. It seems that when she prays for something, more often then not it comes to pass. I will give her a call tonight to put in some words for Cathy. BTW, her name is Kathy also (with a K), and she also had a melanoma that was treated about ten years ago without any reoccurence. Hopefully the treatments your wife is receiving will knock this out.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Peter - certainly my best wishes for you and Cathy.

You know, back in the 19th century, most people learned from their parents that sun exposure was a BAD thing. People all wore long sleeves, gloves, hats, etc., when outside. You could even buy green glass "sun spectacles" to protect your eyes. And that was "the way it was" for 100s of years. For some reason - maybe "eternal youth and tanned skin?" - we started putting ourselves at risk again (short sleeves, shorts, lying in the sun every chance we get, etc.) around 50 years ago. Now we pay the price.

Take care of each other.
Tom

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

Pete-

Thanks for the note, and also my best wishes back to you and Cathy.

This is a serious issue we tend to ignore, I'm a bad example as I now have a 1" divot on top of my head after removal of a cancerous growth. Not nearly as serious as you describe as it could be handled with one treatment but hopefully a better wake up call for me to take better precaution.

Regards,
Randy

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Good words of advice all around. My sister is both a dermatologist and a breast cancer survivor and she drills into us the importance of good sun protection. My prayers and best wishes to you and Cathy. Stay positive!

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker

Peter, you and Cathy hang in there. I wish you and your wife the absolute best.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
PeterK said:

Thanks,
Pete

Doesn't matter Pete - you just did.

She, and you, are on my list.

Mickey

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Pete, It's hard to believe or easy to forget that even here in New England we have to stay aware of these issues. We wait for the sun for months and then we have to hide from it, or else remember to act like grown ups. in the last few weeks the forum has reminded us to wear eye protection and skin protection, both things we already know, but it takes this type of event to bring it back home. My best wishes to you and Cathy, religion has nothing to do with real estate and everything to do with spirit. You have religion.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Pete, I hope all goes well with Cathy and she has a speedy recovery. We can never be carefull enough only do the best we can. It's so easy to let our guard down. Spent way to much time in the sun when I was young, and my work puts me in the sun all the time here in AZ. I use SPF 70 most of the time but not all. Your note will remind me and others to take more caution. Again I hope all goes well for Cathy and remember to take care of yourself also. We tend to forget that when taking care of others.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Pete and Kathy,
I fully understand as a red head who for years did the burn, then peel routine. I now use sunblock and never go in the TR3B without a hat too. I have my next dermatology appointment at the end of the summer, but I keep checking myself as well. Prayers can and do help all people, and I will add you and Kathy in mine too.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Melanoma!

My wife too, although she is dark. Chunk out here, chunk out there. Getting ready for another chunk next week. Hair dresser found the first one. Bless his heat.

Pete, we will be thinking about you and Cathy and hope for the best.

Jim

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Peter, we'll do your wish at Mass this Saturday. Lighting the candles help too, IMHO.

pware

I hope your wife will recover 100% Me and my famaly will pray for the both of you. Best Wishes and tank you for the advise.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Pete and Cathy,
You are on my prayer list now.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pete...Thanks for the very timily reminder. The blast of summer heat is just about here in California...due to be 98 Sunday. I have hated trips to the skin doc twice every year.
He gives me "pizza face" and nails the pocket book about $200 per visit. Your reminder is this is a small price to pay.
Will renew efforts to keep the sun block on...and wear the hat! And yes...will remember your lady tonight to The Man who cares most. Gil

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Pete, your wife is in my thoughts and prayers, I am a melanoma survivor, it will be 2 years this October. Just have her take it one day at a time, and act aggressively. Family, Friends and Faith are really the ONLY things in this world that get us through and I hope that you both have truck load of all three.

And to continue the thoughts from Gil, I wear my Tilly hat religiously; they may cost more than a cap, but are well worth it. Also per my dermatologist she wants me to use the Neutrogena SPF 85 or higher. Apparently this Neutrogena has this helioplex additive (zddp? ha!).

I gave up sailing, and golfing, this is the only thing that I will not give up.
Let us all be careful, be aware of the sun and it's benefits and dangers. Cover up; wear your hat, sun block, and protective shirt.

CuriousGeorge

May God bless you and your wife. Keep Faith level high:

For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole. But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.