• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Flippin Ek the sun's out - where do I get visors?

Cookie

Does anyone know were I can get reasonably priced visors for my 71 Sprite? Were they an original extra and if not how easy are they to fit?

Cheers

Melissa!

Country flag
Since we do not have too many UK people here, you will find a helpful people over at the mgcars.org.uk bbs. They have a midget-sprite section. Those guys can point you to good suppliers.

I visit both here and there, and gain useful information from both.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Moss or VB probably have them. They have just the visors, or the kit which includes the mounts and the clips to hold them in place. When you find the part number(s) send a message to Tony Barnhil, the Autoist. He's a really good guy to get to know to get parts from.

By the way, welcome to the forum! You've tapped into one of the best places I've ever known for spridgets. Many of the experts on here have helped me get my car back on the road through their advice.

OP
Cookie

Cookie

Great stuff - thanks so much. I think I need to add the Moss website to my favourites!

Cheers all!

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Visors are luxury items for the soft and weak.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I know, I sure wished I had some the other day, I was bobbing my head up and down trying to keep the top of the windshield in front of the sun. I don't think early Midgets ever had them though.

Country flag
Hat + Sunglasses = no squint

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
jvandyke said:
Visors are luxury items for the soft and weak.

:lol:

noice.

I've only me ol' "boonie hat" an' shades.

...bein' of th' fem persuasion I'd 'a figger'd you'd 'ave a COLLECTION of bonnets, Mel?!?

OP
Cookie

Cookie

Thanks for the tip Mark, they're very close to me in Dudley, think I'll be seeing quite a lot of them!

As for the bonnets - oh dear! Could have done with visors this afternoon though - what a beautiful day!

I've added a couple of pictures of Cookie resting after a run into Shropshire. She's home now safe and sound all tucked up in her little bag!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Got a chance to see the pics of Cookie. I really like the wheels. Are there any holes on the interior side of your windscreen frame? I didn't see any, and that's where the visor hardware usually mounts.

68_sprite

Jedi Hopeful
I personally think that the visors are a pain and ruin a clean look of the windshield. Good quality sunglasses and a brimmed type of hat are much more effective. But, everyone is different.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As an aside: ~IF~ you decide to fit the visors, drilling thru the frame is a fiddly job. You have to NOT go too far past the inner edge of the metal or you can hit the glass and then, well... :cry: :madder:

A drill bit depth stop is HIGHLY recommended. :wink:

RickB

Yoda
I found someone parting out a 78 Midget (same as my Frankie) and I bought the perfect windshield in the frame with the visors and the mirror for about $100. My windshield will need to be replaced sometime, so now I just unbolt the old one and bolt on the new... :wink: And I got a pair of visors to boot. :laugh:

Look at craigslist and see if anyone is parting out a car with visors.

I know I'm spoiled here in the land of $1,000 running Spridgets... but you might get lucky.

OP
Cookie

Cookie

Thanks Rick - interesting advice if in my case a little extreme! My windshield is in great condition and I'm quite attached to the dappled mirror - all part of the car's charms :eek:) With good advice on here I've found a kit for a fair price, just need to be very careful with fixing it - eek!

RickB

Yoda
Heh, but for how long?

Seriously what I meant was that sometimes you get lucky and find a car being parted and can get just the bits you need. I've even picked up a lot of parts for free that way, a guy had to move but didn't want to take all his pieces and parts with him so he put them up on CL for free, I was happy to oblige. Means I can give them away to someone else if and when they need them and all I have to try and do is keep them from getting damaged!