• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Stone Guards 60 TR3A

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I recently bought a set of nos stone guards for my LBC. I was looking at them and the fender, freshly back from the magic body man, trying to figure out how the two go together. From what I see they almost need to be slid onto the fender from the bottom.

If anyone can give me any guidance I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Tinkerman

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't they hook to the headlights somehow. It was about 30 years since I put some on.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Yes, the large ones slide up from the bottom. The repros have a flange that is much more prominent so you may have to file the top curve so they can go on and still stay snug to the metalwork once they are on. They are held by the 3 bottom bolts. The tiny one is held on by the bottom-most bolt as well. I also drilled and tapped a hole up under the sill to hold the little ones up in place.

Because they are alumimium, they will get dinged with sand and stones. I had my new aluminium ones chromed 17 years ago with what they call dull chrome or satin finish chrome. They look just like aluminium with this satin finish. This surface resists the sand and small dings better because it is harder. I think they just buff the outside surfaces because mine are still shiny chrome inside. I can polish them and shine them up as often as I like. With the aluminium surface, you will soon shine off the anodised finish and then they will buff black and your polish rag will also turn black. I plan to do this again some day soon because after 17 years and 94,000 miles, the dings are getting to be noticable down near the bottom.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Thanks Don:
I neglected to say that they were the rear fender stone guards. I have time before I install them and I like the idea of the chrome finish, tis harder and more durable.
Regards, Tinkerman

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Fit all four of the stone guards before you have them chromed. There are two tabs along the bottom and one up near the top of the large ones that you have to bend over. Don't bend them, or if you do, straighten them at least so you can remove them after your trial fitting. After they get chromed, you won't be able to bend them back over if they get covered with chrome. It will too hard. Ask your plater if he can mask these tabs so you can still bend them. If he can't mask them, leave the tabs short at 90 degrees.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I had assumed you were asking about the rear stone guards. I don't know of any up front, so my assumption seemed logical. I thought the earlier reference to the headlamps was a good one - tongue in cheek.