• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Stone Guard Restoration

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions, tips or experience for restoring original stone guards. They are in pretty decent shape but do have some scratches and dings. I searched the old files and there is a fair amount of discussion about buying new ones and the problems with fitting the after market product correctly. I am opting to see if I can get these fixed up and in good shape to re use them. Since I am gong to have a pretty nice paint job on the car I don't want the stone guards to look too "rustic" so they need to be "nice", I think. I was hoping to get the dings out I am not sure if I can do anything about the pitting and deep scratches? Any advice and suggestions on how to proceed is appreciated. Note: I have an extra fender guard I got some where, I think it was from a 1961 fender I bought years ago. Thanks!

Stone Guards (1) email lg.jpg

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Dorn
If you can get the dings out with soft dolly's and a little time. A polishing wheel can do wonders. Practice on your extra one, I just dropped off the headers for the 250 at "West Coast Powder Coating's"' right near you in Concord. They have many nice finishes that you might be interested in.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I was able to dolly out some small dents, then sand out some of the small chips/dings by sanding with 200 and working up to 1000 grit paper and wet sanding. At that point they looked like anodized alum with dull but smooth finish except for a few dings that just would not come out. I polished with compound and the alum polish. I'm sure with a little more time and effort they could look even better, but I thought they were presentable. Mine were actually primed and painted during one of the sketchy paint jobs done years ago, so it took some effort just to get to the aluminum. Not show quality by a far stretch but they are presentable on my new paint. Just a lot of busy work. You'll still have pits but they will likely be down low. The reflection of the concrete looks worse than the pits.

Country flag
I've done about the same. After I dolly all the dents and dings out, I glass bead blast them before I sand and buff. Glass beads get into the small pit areas that the sanding will never touch.

Marv

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Few years ago, Fred Thomas powder coated his. Didn't look exactly new, but they sure looked nice.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tinkerman TR2/3/3A Installing small body stone guard Triumph 9
DornTRoriginal TR2/3/3A Stone Guard and Fender Fitting Issues Triumph 6
angelfj1 TR2/3/3A TR3A Stone Guards Triumph 3
C How to install Stone Guards on driving lights? Austin Healey 7
Lotus Club SoCal Stone Brewery Meet Up Lotus 0
Geo Hahn TR2/3/3A Stone Guards Triumph 10
M Rust and gravel/stone chip prevention Triumph 13
M TR2/3/3A TR3 Stone Guards Triumph 14
Kleykamp milestone well 30 feet stone anyway Triumph 3
T headlight protection film/stone guards Spridgets 2
Tr3aguy Stone guards Triumph 8
J What does Stone look like? Triumph 23
nevets paint chip from stone inside wheel well Austin Healey 4
Gundy MGB Sharon Stone's MGB for sale MG 7
Tinkerman TR2/3/3A TR3A Rear Fender Stone Guards Triumph 4
fad64b TR2/3/3A TR3 rear fender stone-guards Triumph 22
Tinkerman TR2/3/3A Stone Guards 60 TR3A Triumph 5
Mickey Richaud Stone Chip Repair - Base/Clear Restoration & Tools 3
B Removing Headlight Stone Guards? Austin Healey 19
H TR2/3/3A Rock guard needed Triumph 2
K For Sale TR3 Radiator Guard Triumph Classifieds 0
Kurtis TR4/4A TR4 Radiator Guard Attachment Triumph 7
R TR2/3/3A New Splash Guard Installation Triumph 5
69MGC MGB The Palace Guard MG 0
H Red radiator guard reattachment question Austin Healey 10
Superwrench Radiator Fan Guard BJ 8 Austin Healey 4
D Installing a rear bumper guard?????? Triumph 5
rjc157 3000 front splash guard Austin Healey 9
UmmYeahOk What car did this come off of?!? [bumper guard] Triumph 13
BOBBYR RED FAN GUARD Austin Healey 8
R Scotch guard for cloth wire harness? Austin Healey 10
T TR4/4A TR4/6 Baffle Plates aka Splash Guard bolt-on only? Triumph 7
G Is this a home made valance guard? Triumph 7
AUSMHLY Spash guard gap Austin Healey 6
C Fan Guard 100-4 Austin Healey 4
A 100/6 BN4 Restoration Austin Healey 6
S Wanted Used Austin-Healy 100/100-6/3000 Restoration Guide By Gary Anderson And Roger Moment Austin Healey Classifieds 14
Cutrog1 For Sale Healey 3000 BJ8.... a restoration saga Austin Healey Classifieds 0
Greg Chait Wanted Stalled or Abandoned MG Restoration Projects MG Classifieds 3
H General MG MGYB--Semi-- restoration MG 2
D My new restoration tool Restoration & Tools 13
D For Sale 1955 DAIMLER CONQUEST RUNS NEEDS RESTORATION. Other British Classifieds 1
JoeO 72 TVR Vixen hybrid restoration TVR 1
Rob Glasgow Restoration: What Would You Have Done Differently? Austin Healey 37
GeorgeC Rich Chrysler's "Introduction to Austin-Healey Restoration" Austin Healey 3
D Fascia Restoration Austin Healey 14
J Restoration Progress - Boot Installed Austin Healey 1
C For Sale Parts, Factory Manual, Restoration Guide for 1959 100-6 Austin Healey Classifieds 4
BigGreen For Sale Anderson / Moment Restoration Guide for sale Austin Healey Classifieds 0
SteveTheBrewer Spitfire Triumph Spitfire Restoration Blog Triumph 22