• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Restoration: What Would You Have Done Differently?

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Since the New Year is always a good time to reflect on your past actions, I thought maybe it would be appropriate to pose this question. It might provide some insight for those currently doing or planning a restoration. OK, here’s the question. If you were to do your restoration over again, what things or actions would you do differently?
In my case I would do the following to my 1960 BT7.
1. Have all the hardware (nuts, bolts, etc.) replated. I was afraid if I didn’t keep them separated and in their labeled bags, I would never get the back on the right component. So I just cleaned, painted and clear coated them. After 3 years, they look kind of OK, but plating would have been better.
2. Installed a BJ8 (or similar) cam. I still have the original cam and while I don’t drive very aggressively, I often wonder what I’m missing.
3. Done more research on interior kits. While the one I bought is quite acceptable and looks perfect to most people, there are enough differences that continue to bug me.
The 3 years I spent during the restoration was still one of the most satisfying experiences I ever had. But, what if??
Anyone care to contribute their ”do over” wishes?

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I would have researched a bit more about shooting a metallic color. I put the doors on saw horses and put the base coat on a little too heavy because I didn't have to worry so much about having a run. It's a no no with metallics as it lets the metal flakes concentrate and can make a very faint striping effect. People don't tend to notice but I do. I even bonded the doors to the paint gun and a real ground to prevent the effect. I didn't see it until I shot the clear coat. I decided it would be more fun to drive the car than to strip and repaint the doors. If you zoom in on the attached photo you can see it. I think light coats and allowing it to flash off would have been better.

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_125915744-1664x936.jpg
    IMG_20190224_125915744-1664x936.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 132

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Bought a different interior kit. and Not install the Air Conditioning. The interior material is too thin, the air Conditioning does not work well enough in a convertible.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Be more patient...well...with everything. That said, my BJ7 pulled from the weeds years ago is better off now than it ever was back then. Not perfect by any measure; isn't that what second-round restorations are all about?

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Had a better stocked first aid kit for all the cuts n grazes .

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I would have researched a bit more about shooting a metallic color. I put the doors on saw horses and put the base coat on a little too heavy because I didn't have to worry so much about having a run. It's a no no with metallics as it lets the metal flakes concentrate and can make a very faint striping effect. People don't tend to notice but I do. I even bonded the doors to the paint gun and a real ground to prevent the effect. I didn't see it until I shot the clear coat. I decided it would be more fun to drive the car than to strip and repaint the doors. If you zoom in on the attached photo you can see it. I think light coats and allowing it to flash off would have been better.
When I restored my BJ7 I did all the bodywork myself, basically a straight body that I stripped to bare metal and did a little body and new doglegs. Did all the epoxy primer and blocking and sanding up to 2000 grit. After all that work, I wanted to paint it original Healey Blue and was about to shoot it myself until I read about tiger striping. I was too afraid to screw up all that prep and farmed out the topcoats. Some things I learned in studying the issue before chickening out was that metallics should always be painted with the doors, hood and trunk on the car as even the direction the paint shoots can cause different reflective patterns that are noticeable. The paint should all be painted at the same time as differences in temp and humidity can cause color differentiation. And finally, you have to be careful overlapping your paint as you go across the car as it will leave the stripes you mentioned. If I had painted it ivory white I might have tried it myself. Your car still looks amazing though.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Thank you Rick. Despite all the nit-noid things I know lurk in the rebuild process I'm pleased with it. I have addressed most of them one at a time. In truth, I'm the only opinion that counts but it's nice to hear I didn't make it a pigs ear out of it. I did all the panel beating, weld repairs and actually used a bit of lead here and there instead of polyester filler. I just wanted the satisfaction of doing old school. Same for hand louvering the bonnet. I wanted my rebuild to be more like building the car on the production line rather than a meticulous project ( as if I was capable of that) which I would fret about when the first stone chipped my paint. I'm also pretty tight with a dollar, I mean why pay someone else to screw something up when I'm quite capable of doing that myself.

Country flag
If you're going through the engine consider getting the uprated timing chain tensioner from DWM; I've heard of the stock/repop ones failing (rubber/plastic portion separating). One less critical failure part to worry about (hopefully). I put their flexible high-pressure oil pump line in my BN2 due to reported cracking of the metal ones.

Last edited:

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Since the New Year is always a good time to reflect on your past actions, I thought maybe it would be appropriate to pose this question. It might provide some insight for those currently doing or planning a restoration. OK, here’s the question. If you were to do your restoration over again, what things or actions would you do differently?
In my case I would do the following to my 1960 BT7.
1. Have all the hardware (nuts, bolts, etc.) replated. I was afraid if I didn’t keep them separated and in their labeled bags, I would never get the back on the right component. So I just cleaned, painted and clear coated them. After 3 years, they look kind of OK, but plating would have been better.
2. Installed a BJ8 (or similar) cam. I still have the original cam and while I don’t drive very aggressively, I often wonder what I’m missing.
3. Done more research on interior kits. While the one I bought is quite acceptable and looks perfect to most people, there are enough differences that continue to bug me.
The 3 years I spent during the restoration was still one of the most satisfying experiences I ever had. But, what if??
Anyone care to contribute their ”do over” wishes?

In 1987 when I decided I wanted a 100M, my first thought was to buy one already in the condition I wanted. That's common accepted wisdom, but it didn't work out. First of all, very few were for sale, and of the ones that might have been purchased, none were in the condition I wanted.

So I bought one that was supposed to need little. Long story short, it was almost 20 years between purchase, an unplanned total restoration, and everything finally being sorted out. I spent a fortune. A few fortunes actually. It was the nicest 100M on the planet and drove like a new car. I judged a lot of 100Ms in the day and never saw one that I would have traded mine for, and it won its class at the Amelia Island Concours, among other trophies, but it was also too nice to drive much.

So what would I have done different? Abandon the idea of owning "a concours car" and bought a nice BJ8 that absolutely did not need restoration.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I am working on another BJ8 right now. It is a hobby, this one will be sold when I am done. This topic is interesting because I decided to keep the car original. People buying a car always ask if it is original. But I really want to make some changes that will make it a better driving car. I must say it is easier to not make changes. On my other BJ8, a change meant perhaps another change was needed because the first change affected something else.

kozelding

Country flag
On a shade of Reid's comment, my restoration was momentous enough — so long, and so expensive — that I ended up with a car I didn't want to drive. My car originally was a true basketcase that needed everything, and I tried to make sure everything was done "right."

All during the restoration process, I dreamed of roaring around in the car — going on road trips, using it as a daily driver, having that devil-may-care attitude the car was designed for.

Instead, when it was done, I didn't want to drive it. I anguished over the dust in the garage. I didn't want to go out if there was >5% chance of rain. And is there rain expected tonight? I don't want to breakdown far away and get caught in the rain.

I thought it might be a relief to sell it.

But I sat tight, and now 10(!) years later, I'm enjoying the car. The underside is accumulating grim from oil leaks. There are a few cracks in the paint. There's surface rust on things like leafsprings. I go out even if there's a chance of rain — and I get caught in sudden storms without a top on.

So: don't wait 10 years to start using it!

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I thought it might be a relief to sell it.

As a postscript to my earlier response, I did get a chance to sell my nicest-in-the-world 100M at my price and I took it. I slightly miss owning such a fabulous example of the marque, and one that I bought from the original owner no less, but even with 25 years ownership I never really bonded with the car and now I don't have to garage it, insure it, or worry about it. Overall, I don't miss it, and I still have my driver BN2 with Le Mans Kit, bumpers removed, AH aeroscreens and Dunlop wheels (cast repops available from Cape International), and so no regrets:

1956 Austin-Healey 100 Le Mans.jpg

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Happy day my when I bought my sailboat, only to be eclipsed by the happiness on the day I sold it. If you were a good steward when you owned it ( no doubt there), and had a bit of fun, that's what counts.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sympathetic restoration (just what the car needs and not sweat the small stuff) is a nice goal, but a slippery slope for some of us. I intended my current build to be more of a disciplined, restrained rebuilding of only what the car needed. It is a BJ7 that was with the prior owner, a friend, for some 34 years. I'd seen it many times and "thought" I could stay on track to "do just what's needed." BUT, once you start, where to stop? Engine REALLY needed rebuilding. Interior looked every bit its 59 years age. Slight prior shunt had been poorly fixed in around 1967ish. Those issues, tied to a knowledge of who and where they could be fixed, many of them me, has taken on a multi-year full-on rotisserie build! I think for some of us, it's a DNA problem that can't be easily solved without intervention. The problem worsens when you are rebuilding something and you know how to make it better! As my buddy, with an equally unhinged car problem, frequently reminds me, "excellent is the curse of good-enough." Also, once you are on that path, there is no turning back. That said, I hope to finish this year, maybe even in time for Enclave.

Attachments

• thumbnail AH 2nd Primer 3.jpg
    thumbnail AH 2nd Primer 3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 105

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sympathetic restorations (just what the car needs and not sweat the small stuff) are a nice goal.... but a slippery sloop for some of us. I intended my current build to be more of a disciplined restrained rebuilding of only what the car needed. It is a BJ7 that was with the prior owner, a friend, for some 34 years. I'd seen it many times and "thought" I could stay on track to "just do what's needed." BUT, once you start... where to stop??... engine REALLY needed rebuilding... interior looked every bit it's 59 years age... slight prior shunt had been poorly fixed in around 1967ish. Those issues tied to a knowledge of who and where they could be fixed, many of them me, has taken on a multi-year full on rotisserie build!! I think for some of us, it's a DNA problem that can't be easily solved without intervention. The problem worsens when you are rebuilding something and you know how to make it better! As my buddy, with an equally unhinged car problem, frequently reminds me "excellent is the curse of good-enough." Also, once you are on the path, there is no turning back. That said, I hope to finish this year... maybe even in time for the Enclave.
I often wonder when seeing folks on the online auctions see a run-down LBC and say, "Just fix it up enough to get it driveable and enjoy." I wonder if anyone in the whole history of old British car ownership has ever carried that off.