• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 spin-on oil filter adapter w/ oil cooler GT6

hymodyne

I just got off the phone with Ted as TSI imports in OH, and he tells me I cannot (without much difficulty) use a spin-on adapter plate on my GT6 MK III, due to space issues.

How have people overcome these problems when using an adapter that will allow the use of an oil cooler?

Hym

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Space constraints straight out, or downward?

Will_Ringrose

I have a spin on Oil filter on my 73 GT6, its at a 90 degree bend. I have no problems getting to it and changing it. and there is no clearance problems with the steering.

I think I picked mine up from Spit Bits, a while back.

naerp

Freshman Member
Do you have a picture you could share showing how you mounted it? I am interested in putting one on my 73 GT6 as well. Thanks!

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Here's a photo of mine. Space-wise it's a little tight but certainly not impossible.
IMGP1578.jpg

OP
hymodyne

hymodyne

I know they aren't necessary, but I also like the security that an oil cooler will offer on long trips, as I plan to do some long distance driving with the car this summer.

Jay, your engine compartment is very tidy and looks great. I'm at the stage where I am about to prime and paint the bare metal body tub of my MK III. What type of paint did you use on the firewall and engine?

Hym

Will_Ringrose

I don't see how adding an Oil Cooler will add security. I just see it as one more thing to go wrong.

I have just the spin on adapter, it looks the same as the one in the photo above, just without the 2 oil lines coming off.

My GT6 as a daily driver scene June, the only thing I would do is an electric fan to help that little radiator we have.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hym, Thanks for the complement. The engine paint is Plasti-Kote's engine black. The firewall is just satin black. Both aerosol can sprayed.
As for why I chose to install it. I'm convinced the GT6's engine is almost as much oil cooled as it is water cooled. I know that there are others who feel differently. If you do install one, definitely use a thermostat (mine can be seen in that photo).

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Jay, I can't argue the "fact" that almost any water-cooled engine is also cooled largely by the oil. But unless you're in a particularly hot climate and/or constantly using the GT on the track or other very high stress situations, I think I'd want to first determine what your oil temperatures are or at least run an oil PRESSURE gauge to see if you get any significant drop in pressure in hot and/or high-stress conditions. Of course, even seeing low oil pressure figures might be more telling of a worn bottom end than of a need to cool the oil.

I'm not trying to be negative here; rather, I'm going on my years of experience in upstate NY with these engines. The only oil cooler I ever used was on a Spitfire 4, and that's only because it was there when we bought the ex-GP SCCA race car to use in autocross. I'm not sure we really needed it in short autocross runs!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Another consideration is that you don't want to over-cool the oil. The oil needs to get up to at least 180F or so in order to reduce contamination from blowby, etc. Otherwise you'll get more sludge and acid formation, not a Good Thing.

For street engines with an oil cooler, most engine builders recommend a thermostat to control the cooler.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Andy, Totally understand there's nothing negative meant and my "hook" to hanging here has always been that I enjoy what there is to learn. I know I would have stayed on the sidelines on Hym's question had it not been for "nerp" requesting a photo. Of course then I followed up by saying something. I always thought my GT6 had overly high (of course not substantiated) under hood temperatures. I had long earlier installed an oil pressure gauge, but my concern was not about low pressure. Then as one who is "snake oil" prone (I not only like Pertronix, but also Marvel Mystery Oil) that I thought I'd put the cooler in (with the thermostat). Honestly, I'm of the belief it improved things - but then, I'm believing MMO is helping me too.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Some racers from SCCA should be able to help with specifications for an adaptor plate that center bolts to the block with two holes (one in and one out) so you can have a remote spin on oil filter located away from a busy block. Depending on how and where you locate the spin on device you can actually up size the filter and if a cooler is desired you can plumb from the lines that go to the remote filter. You said the key word about the cooler and that is temperature bi-pass valve.