• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spin On Oil Filter Adapter Question

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've searched the forum to find the answer to a fairly simple question, but found nothing.

I changed the oil in the TR6 yesterday. At the same time I installed a spin on oil filter adapted that came with a used engine I bought years ago. I left the canister gasket in place when I installed the adapter. When I started the engine the adapter started leaking around the area where the adapter mates to the block.
My brother had the same problem on his TR250. He said the only way he was able to eliminate the leak was to remove the gasket.
I know that several of you have these adapters on your engines. Do you have the gasket? Or did you eliminate the gasket?

Thanks,
BOBH

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Have you made sure that you don't have two gaskets stuck in there? That's a very common mistake... Ask me how I know this.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
OK, we are talking the adapter to block joint right? I had that problem. Buy a new canister filter which should have a new gasket. Replace the gasket and tighten it down tight.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Check that you have an o-ring where the adapter mates with the engine lock.

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
When I installed my spin on adaptor, it came with an o-ring, not the square edged rubber ring that is used with the canister filter. I used the o-ring and it has never leaked. The square edge ring has a tendancy to "flip over" and allow a leak path. This is why I went to the spin on adaptor in the first place ... I never could get the canister to not leak.

Matt

71tr

Jedi Warrior
speaking of o-rings. does anyone know where to get a replacement o-ring for the spin-on adapter?

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll try a new square gasket tonight. I'll also see what I can find for a true O-Ring. An O-Ring makes sense, the thickness of the material on the canister is too thin to guarantee a good match with an O-Ring. However the material on the adapter is thicker and should mate correctly with an O-Ring, properly compressing the material to form a seal.
I bought the small O-Ring that fits on the face of the adapter locally. I'll see if they have the larger one in stock.
Keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate all comments.

BOBH

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
You could use a smear of grease to hold the seal up in the groove while you are installing the adapter. I remember struggling with it too. Worth it though! Pete

71tr

Jedi Warrior
if you locate a source for the larger o-ring let me know. i tore mine when I removed the adapter for rebuild.

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I tried a new gasket and no gasket last might. The results reminded me of the scene in Dracula Dead and Loving It where they drove the wooden stake into the vampiress. All that expensive Mobil 1 spraying out.
I measured the diameter of the gasket slot and the width. The closest O-Ring I can find in the AS568B Standard is a -243 or -244. I'll call a couple of local supply houses today to see if they are in stock.

Shannon, did you order an extra O-Ring or the standard gasket? If you ordered the O-Ring do you have a part number?

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Shannon,

Thanks. I think that is the standard gasket with a square cross section. I tried a new standard gasket last night. it leaked.
I did pick up a couiple of O-Rings during lunch. According to my measurements the -243 should be nearly an exact fit. I'll try it tonight. If it doesn't work I'll have to go back to the canister until I can figure out what is wrong.
Think Automotive is the British company that sells Mocal components. Their latest catalog says they redesigned the spin off adapter for the TR6. It's now a 2 piece item. The redesign is supposed to help overcome the variations in engine tollerances.

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Matt had the answer. I installed the O-Ring last night and it worked like a charm. The -243 o-ring is a perfect fit.

If you need information about o-ring sizes you can go to the Apple Rubber Products site. They have a simple way to enter the ID and Cross Section (CS) and see the standard sizes available.
https://www.applerubber.com/products/o-rings.cfm?referrer=google_o-rings

Unfortunately they deal in bulk so they are not a source for one or 2 piece purchases. Your best bet is to look for a local industrial supply house. Many of them have a large selection of o-rings. If you don't have any luck try calling a tractor dealer. They should know where to get o-rings locally.
I've used 2 different places in town. Usually I can get what I need at one or the other. One of the shops usually give me the o-ring if it's in their open stock room. I usually put a dollar or two into their coffee fund.
A -243 is about 50 cents so they are not too expensive.

thanks again for the help guys. One of these days I'll return the favor.

BOBH