• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best oil filter for spin-on?

bcbennett

Hello all,

I feel sort of silly for asking this, but I can't find much info...I just spent an hour or so installing the spin-on adaptor for my '74 TR6 (who knew I'd have to disconnect things and move hoses out of the way, etc.?). I can't seem to find much info in which spin-on oil filter to now purchase. Should I know this somehow?

Thanks in advance.

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Are you looking for the type of filter to use with the spin on adaptor?

RobT

Jedi Warrior
K&N HP-2009 or Fram PH3600 will work

Prefer the K&N myself - has a 1" hex "nut" on the end to tighten and remove it. Much better than the Fram adapter or using one of those belt thingies.

Rob.

R

RonMacPherson

Now that you've gotten the Fram number, my recommendation is take that number to a parts store and have them convert it to a Wix, or a Napa Gold.

Someone posted a filter comparison(by manufacture brand) several years ago and I'm suggesting the recommendation based on the results of that test.

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
My GT6 is in pieces, but I went out to my GT6, and looked at the filter. It has no number on it....not much help I got the adaptor from Victoria British, they also have filters though.
I know the one on my Ford is a PH8A but I doubt that will help.
Where did you get the adaptor?

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Do you guys remember the Frantz toilet paper oil filter? They sill make them.

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
My dad told me about that...you must really be old!!
(LOL)
Actually I do remember them.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
When I was a kid, I discovered that that my Mother's sanitary napkins fit perfectly in the air filter of my Fiat 600. Worked well until she found out.....

AweMan

Jedi Knight
I remember them well!
I had a 63 Merc 390 Cu. In. It had one of the toilet paper filters on it. Plus about a gazillion miles on the engine. The oil ALWAYS looked clean {Like you just changed it} no matter how many miles you put on it. As long as I had the car I changed oil every 3000 miles regardless.
I gave that car to my little sister, her and her husband put another gazillion miles on it also. Then they sold it to one of thier friends and he swore by that car {It NEVER let him down} so he said. Then he sold it to someone. Ocassionaly I still see it around town although I cant positivly say it still has the same engine. It is still running.
The very best thing about it was the filters were dirt cheap /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif
Kerry

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Try doing a google search on oil filter comparisions and you'll find some very interesting results. I've been using Fram filters of years and really never had any unusual engine problems, but all the studies seem to say that Fram is not the best filter to buy. I still use them sometimes, but I must admit, I've been using NAPA or Mobil brands lately. I've got several cars and have a far amount of money wrapped up in them and I'd hate to have a $5.00 oil filter destroy one of my engine. I'll pay the extra for peace of mind. Several of the studies are very in depth.

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
The best oil filters are made by Wicks. They will cost 2~3 times as much as a Fram. Car Quest and others Private Label Wicks under their Brand Name. Ask the Dealer if it is a Wicks. If you have a Filter Number it can be crossed to a Wicks also ask the dealer to let you look at his cross section sample and you will see that it has twice to three times as many filter pleats.
The quality will be apparent.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif
1959 TR3A
1972 TR6

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I have liked Wix filters for many years although I have a hard time finding them here in town. I sold AMSOIL synthetics lubes back in the 70's and the WIX filter was one of the best for a longer drain interval even back then.

A Fram is OK for most run of the mill cars as long as the oil and filter is changed regularly at a reasonable mileage. The problem with cheap filters is they sometimes don't contain an anti-drainback valve and they can't handle an extended drain interval.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Best oil filter heres the article

Read with interest this topic again, here's the article I think most people are talking about.

https://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I just acquired my mom's '95 SAAB 900s with just over 100k on it as an extra vehicle; first thing I did was an oil change, but the only store nearby was Wally World, who carry only Fram. I bought the high mileage, more expensive filter they carried.

I only use orig Volvo on the wife's ride & NAPA Gold (WIX)on my Landcruiser.

Why not spend a few extra bucks on somrthing so important?

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
martx-5 said:
TR6oldtimer said:
Do you guys remember the Frantz toilet paper oil filter? They sill make them.

Believe it or not, they are still available. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif
A bypass filter like the Frantz is an excellent way to increase engine life dramatically. But you need to make sure that any add-on filter does a better job of filtering than the full-flow that's on the engine.

I've seen bypass filers vary from 5 microns to 50 microns...