• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BEST Home Brew Penetrating Oil

No Jump Seat

Freshman Member
Country flag
[h=2]BEST Home Brew Penetrating Oil[/h]
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Wanted to pass along a "Home Brew" Penetrating Oil that OUTPERFORMS ALL the commercial products. SAVE $$$$$ & achieve better results...Mark

Machinist's Workshop MagT recently published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.They are below. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.
*ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This "Home Brew" miracle message has been going around for quite some time now. When I first read this, I mixed up a batch and tried it out. In my experience with this "home brew", it was not even as good as WD-40. I do recall that the acetone and ATF would not stay mixed....it kept separating. If someone has actually tried it, and it actually worked on a seriously rusted bolt or nut, I would like to know. At this point I think it's just a myth.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Cant beat the "gas axe" when it comes to rusted bolts etc ...Heat , Heat , Heat ....works every time .

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Not exactly scientific testing, but since I switched from WD40 to PB blaster several years ago rusted on nut problems have gone from frequent to practically nil, I mean yeas they can be harder to remove, but they come off without stripping or snapping most of the time. I will echo that this report comes up all the time, and I don't believe it, if for no other reason than that my experience is that PB Blaster is much better than WD 40 as a penetrating oil.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
Cant beat the "gas axe" when it comes to rusted bolts etc ...Heat , Heat , Heat ....works every time .

Yep, I've done that too. I was fortunate enough in my advantaged days to pickup an induction heating unit that I could modify to just about any configuration. That way I could heat just the area I wanted.
John

Country flag
I have a few good years left, and have enough strength to still get by with the Liquid Wrench; I'll just keep using that.

The Kroil is good stuff, but their aerosol cans have gone flat on me before, so I just get the little squirt cans now.

You start mixing your own chemicals, and then the guys with badges pay you a visit; I'll stick to store-bought!

Country flag
NJS spammed like four (4) forums here with the same useless info, so clearly he/she/it has an agenda. I move for Basil to delete the thread(s).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
PB Blaster or Kroill here I come every time I want a rusted nut undone.--Keoke--:banana:

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
You start mixing your own chemicals, and then the guys with badges pay you a visit; I'll stick to store-bought!

LOL. Reminds me of my chemistry set I had when I was a kid. They sold some pretty dangerous stuff then. Age plays a factor into my decision process now. :grumpy:

John

moremonkey

Country flag
I made the switch from WD-40 to PB a while ago and was a convert. Then this winter I tried straight ATF in a spray bottle and have found it to be at least equal to PB, less noxious, and easy to spray where I needed it. Since I had a quart of used ATF anyway from when I flushed the power steering on my daily driver it was no big deal to test it out.

I found ATF a huge help on frozen suspension bolts that PB wouldn't move at all and that I broke my Craftsman ratchet wrench on twice before using the ATF.

Jonathan

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
+1 on the acetone/ATF mix. I've been using that for ten years - always works.

But another +1 on questioning the original poster's multiple posts of this same old "internet article" comparing rusty bolt treatments. I'd ask what was the purpose of joining BCF - a possible hacking access?

I think Mickey posted exactly the same thing back in 2009.

My two cents.
Tom

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

So, what the guy originally posted is valid and probably helpful for several people who didn't know about it. Sounds like a great use for this forum; sharing knowledge and tips, etc. And, since it is a homebrew, there's no commercial angle - no one is trying to sell it to us.

another +1 on questioning the original poster's multiple posts of this same old "internet article" comparing rusty bolt treatments. I'd ask what was the purpose of joining BCF - a possible hacking access?

Speaking as the moderator of this forum, I strictly do not follow your reasoning. Why is it apparently such a negative in some people's perception that a guy posted something that is found elsewhere on the Internet? I think that's called a service when people bring useful things here to benefit us all. I have no idea what "hacking access" means. A guy joined the forum. He posted a useful tech tip. I just don't see evil forces at work there. So what if it's not the most useful, most original tip ever? You're using the formula he recommended. That sounds like an endorsement of the guy's post is in order, not an accusation of conspiracy to commit "hacking access," whatever that is.

think Mickey posted exactly the same thing back in 2009.

I don't think that posting something again after five years qualifies it as too early for a reminder.

Is there something I'm missing here? I just don't see the harm or evil motives that some seem to see in this thread.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is a strange post with a huckster feel to it, and out of context in the Healey forum. I had the same reaction as others. It could be completely legit, but it has a strange vibe to it.

OP
N

No Jump Seat

Freshman Member
Country flag

But another +1 on questioning the original poster's multiple posts of this same old "internet article" comparing rusty bolt treatments. I'd ask what was the purpose of joining BCF - a possible hacking access?

I think Mickey posted exactly the same thing back in 2009.

My two cents.
Tom

It is a strange post with a huckster feel to it, and out of context in the Healey forum. I had the same reaction as others. It could be completely legit, but it has a strange vibe to it.

NJS spammed like four (4) forums here with the same useless info, so clearly he/she/it has an agenda. I move for Basil to delete the thread(s).

Randy you & your other fellow sycophants need to get your collective heads out of the "Hidden Agenda" conspiracy mode. I placed the "Home Brew" mixture into the "3" sections of cars I OWN. What do you guys think??!!...That I have stock in Acetone & ATF???!!!...Please send me your addresses , so I can send you each a $1.00 to...BUY a CLUE!!!...Mark

OP
N

No Jump Seat

Freshman Member
Country flag
So, what the guy originally posted is valid and probably helpful for several people who didn't know about it. Sounds like a great use for this forum; sharing knowledge and tips, etc. And, since it is a homebrew, there's no commercial angle - no one is trying to sell it to us.

Speaking as the moderator of this forum, I strictly do not follow your reasoning. Why is it apparently such a negative in some people's perception that a guy posted something that is found elsewhere on the Internet? I think that's called a service when people bring useful things here to benefit us all. I have no idea what "hacking access" means. A guy joined the forum. He posted a useful tech tip. I just don't see evil forces at work there. So what if it's not the most useful, most original tip ever? You're using the formula he recommended. That sounds like an endorsement of the guy's post is in order, not an accusation of conspiracy to commit "hacking access," whatever that is.

I don't think that posting something again after five years qualifies it as too early for a reminder.

Is there something I'm missing here? I just don't see the harm or evil motives that some seem to see in this thread.
Hello Reid; Very Much Appreciate you seemingly being the "Singular Voice of Reason", readily appears that quality is LOST on numerous members here. I would suggest to the various "Conspiracy Advocates" to open up your garage doors prior to starting your cars, as it is patently obvious the gas fumes are having debilitating effects on your collective cognitive rationale. I bet you guys stay up late at night pondering over the "Lone gunman on the grassy knoll theory"...Mark