• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil cooler and spin on filter adapter

spbvmb

My tr4 has an oil cooler installed. The hoses from the cooler are attached to a ring that is installed on the purolator filter head. I just added a spin on filter adapter where the original filter cannister mounted. To do this I needed to extend the threaded adapter that was used to mount the oil cooler hoses. Judging from the temperature of the hoses, the cooler circuit is not working but the filter is plenty hot so I assume oil is circulating through it. Are these two adapters not able to work together or could I have installed the cool adapter backwards (seemed to only want to line up one way). Sure would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Phil Brooks

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Phil,
Do you have some pictures so we can see what exactly you are talking about?
That would make it easier to understand what you have going on there.
On a typical oil filter the oil comes into the filter through the outer holes, moves through the filter material, then out to the engine through the center of the filter assembly. There are a few types of oil coolers out there so pics would help.
When you say the cooler is not working do you mean the hoses are cold or hot, and have you measured the temps with a laser thermometer?
Do you have a separate oil cooler radiator installed along with it?
Many types of oil coolers out there.

Thx

Mikey

PeterK

Yoda
Are you using an oil thermostat? Could it be that you have the oil filter hoses reversed? So that the return is on the pressure side.

OP
S

spbvmb

OP
S

spbvmb

If you click on the links in my reply #766350 there will be pictures of the adapters I have been referring to.

Thanks again for your interest in helping, Phil

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Looks like this is an "oil to air" oil cooler, where the oil is redirected by the adapter through the hose to the radiator.
I have limted prctical knowledge of this kind as I have always used "oil to water" coolers....but here goes.
This cools the oil as it circulates through the oil radiator and then returns back to the engine. Not sure when it is filtered.
With this type of cooler the oil is cooled all the time, as it it continually pumped through the cooler. This can cause problems as it doesn't allow your oil to heat up to operating temperature fast enough, and in some cases it may never heat up. This can affect the viscosity of the oil, as well not boiling off any condensation...kind of like driving your car only on very short trips all the time. I tyhink you should install an oil thermostat between the cooler and engine. The thermostat will on allow oil through the cooler after a specific temp has been reached. There as also coverr plates that stop air through the rad.
Thinking about this, you may not in fact have a problem at all. I say this because you may not be able to feel a noticeable diference between the before and after hoses with your hand alone. I can't tell the difference between say 105 and 115 degrees. I suggest getting a lazer thermometer and checking for a temp difference on the input and out put hoses.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong with any of the above those with more experience with these.
Mikey

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I just looked the the links again. Not sure which cooler you have...the big pictture or the smaller picture. I clicked on the smaller picture and it shows the complete cooler with the thermostat. That is the one you should have. Not sure if the other attachemnts are compatable with each other.
I'm curious to see what Rimmer bros says.

Sorry I could be of more help.

Mikey

OP
S

spbvmb

Thanks for the reasons for using a thermostat. Rimmer has not been much help but Ted at TS imports in Ohio has put in a lot of time working on the best solution. Most of those oil coolers are made by Mocal Oil Control Systems in England I think. Rimmer wouldn't even tell me who made the units they sell but Ted knew and deals with them. No solution yet, but still working on it.

Phil