• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Some questions from a new TR6 owner

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Howdy all!

Well, we finally took delivery of my girlfriends 1971 TR6 two days ago. It's a good driver in Laurel Green, black interior and overdrive -- the latter is producing some serious jealousy on my part! :smile: The car will need some cosmetic tinkering here and there, but nothing major, and is in phenominal mechanical shape, and bloody fast! The engine was rebuilt a few years back, and whoever did it did a nice job -- it's noticably faster than my 250. Can you see some of that jealousy creeping in again?

Anyway, being new to the TR6 world, we've got a couple of questions. The first thing we noticed is that the steering wheel squeeks whenever it is turned. I know that my 250 is retained by a metal strap with felt. Does the 6 have the same arrangement, and if so, could the sqeeking (which does not sound like metal on metal) be the result of really worn felt?

Second, should there be a spring mounted somewhere to help the boot lid pop up a bit when the button is pushed?

Third, the car is a 1971, but lacks the two small reflectors that I understand were mounted below the tail lamps that year. Does anyone have any definitive information about what range of commission numbers had these?

Thanks all!

B.

PS -- Might just have to call Quantum and see if they have an overdrive transmission in stock for my TR250!

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Second, should there be a spring mounted somewhere to help the boot lid pop up a bit when the button is pushed?
[/QUOTE]

No spring, but if the trunk lid seal is old and lost it's elasticity, replacing it will cause the lid to pop up a bit when unlatched.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
MadRiver said:
PS -- Might just have to call Quantum and see if they have an overdrive transmission in stock for my TR250!

You should put in your order now if ya want to install it this winter.
I know John has a large back log!

YYCDave

Country flag
Your squeaking steering wheel may be caused by either a worn steering column bushing or a "too short" steering column. The TR6 has a collapsible steering column that can actually be adjusted for length. You'll see a clamp by the brake booster that can be loosened by the allen nut and the regular nuts, and then the column can adjusted within a small range. I gave my steering wheel a good yank, just enough to clear a bit of binding between the steering wheel hub and the column and it's been squeak free ever since. Just don't forget to tighten the column when you're done! :smile:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
MadRiver said:
Third, the car is a 1971, but lacks the two small reflectors that I understand were mounted below the tail lamps that year. Does anyone have any definitive information about what range of commission numbers had these?
According to a notice reposted on the Triumphs Only web site, cars affected were CC 50958 to CC 52453, cars manufactured in Jan-Feb. 1970. Your car is well past that range, presumably, if it's a 1971.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is just an MG part. Not all 71's have them. I think it was dealer installed and some owners said screw it.

T

Tinster

TR6BILL said:
Pretty much, isn't the TR250 just a TR6 with Italian clothes?

<span style="color: #CC0000">Bill,

My 69TR6 has many TR250 engine components,
the clutch/tranny is a TR4A.

d</span>

OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
TR6BILL said:

Indeed, but really the other way around -- the TR6 is pretty much a TR250 with a body by Karmann! Especially the earlier cars. The only real differences I've found (other than the coach work, of course) are minor litte details -- but of course, that's the stuff I'll have questions about! :smile:

Thanks so much, guys!

T

TRDejaVu

TR6BILL said:
Let's do a poll, how many people have Italian styled clothes and how many have German styled clothes?

Sorry, couldn't resist; I'll get my coat.

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
Andrew Mace said:
MadRiver said:
According to a notice reposted on the Triumphs Only web site, cars affected were CC 50958 to CC 52453, cars manufactured in Jan-Feb. 1970. Your car is well past that range, presumably, if it's a 1971.

My 71 has them. It is comm # 57627, build Oct 70, titled as 71. What that means is anybody's guess! My car has an earlier motor- TR250 era. Someone may have swapped the comm plates to a different body- or someone just saw another car with them and thought they should be on there.

On 2nd thoughts, maybe the interpretation of the TSB/recall shouldn't necessarily be that only those cars (Jan-Feb 70) had them. Perhaps later cars had them put on before the car was sold. Then in the longer term maybe there was a modification to the reflector in the light cluster, or some other change to the law or way it was enforced. In any case, I couldn't see myself going out of my way to add them... that's just me though!

Pete

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Agree. The "250" was a transition car. BL already knew that and Karman was already designing the "6" at the end of "4A" production. As usual, BL didn't want to spend bugger all if it wasn't necessary. I believe as the yeyars go by the "250" will increase in value faster than any other model except perhaps an original long-door "2" or a proper "5".

achtungeveryone

Jedi Hopeful
I've read that the 6 was a partial redesign of the 4 because Triumph was, lets say, frugal. Karman redid the rear and front end of Giovanni Micholetti's beautiful TR4 design. It can pretty much be confirmed by looking at a TR4 and then looking at a TR6..I think it all worked out wonderfully. Imagine if they decided to do a complete redesign for the TR6, no, I don't want to go there, the possibilities are to horrific. This is really taking your Italian clothes to the German tailor and telling him to make them look fresh, maybe, ?