• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Mag Wheel Size Questions

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
OK I have just about decided on which wheel I'm going to get. But have one more question. Has anyone put on a set of 15X7 Minilite, AR Silverstones, Panasports, Konig Rewinds, Superlites on a TR6 without any clearance problems? I was going to 16X7s but decided the rubber on the car was still in good shape and didn't need the extra cost of new tires. I habe tube shocks on the rear that may cause some clearance problems with the 7" rims. 6" rims are no problem but I thought I'd go for the extra inch.

Dugger

You will need minimum 1/4" spacers for the front hubs to prevent the upper A-arms from rubbing the inside rim [ knocking off the balancing weights and making a heck of a scrapping noise - don't ask].

I can't say about the rear, but with standard lever shock you should have no problem with 7" rims.

I have a set of Minilites running Toro 195 60's with very little change in the speedometer, but who looks at that anyway.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I have the 15" x 7" Panasports and had the scraping problem Dugger mentioned. I just used an angle grinder and ground down those studs that were scraping the wheel. Problem solved.

trboost

Jedi Trainee
I'm using 15x7 Panasports with 215-65 Pirelli's. You will have to trim the upper ball joint studs to eliminate interferance but that should do it. The rear is fine with or without tube shock conversion.
I would not recommend any thing wider than 205's for the front with 7" rims, the 215's rub the fender lip.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
You will have to trim the upper ball joint studs to eliminate interferance...

I would not recommend any thing wider than 205's for the front with 7" rims, the 215's rub the fender lip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Some (all?) upper A-arms have a square-ish cut on the end, right next to the outer ball joint bolt, which also might interfere. The upper flange is the problem, often awfully close to the rim of a 15" wheel. Fortunately these but can be radiused pretty easily to gain a little clearance. Get out the Dremel!

Since interference occurs at the extreme right and left steering, slightly larger stops can also be installed. But this will increase overall turning radius a bit.

Someone already mentioned adding 1/4" wheel spacers. Seems the best fitting ones come from Revington TR in England. Actually 4mm thick, these are aluminum machined specifically to fit the TR hub, rather than "universal" spacers with elongated mounting holes.

Aren't 6" rims sufficient for 205s?

By the way, I've got 15" KN 'Minator' wheels on my TR4, which are 5.5" wide (with 195/60 Goodyear Eagle HP tires). Comparing these to some Panasport 15x6" Minilites at the Dixon show a week and a half ago, the Panasports appear to have slightly less offset (i.e., slightly more "dish" to the outside). Because of this, even though slightly narrower, I'm pretty sure the KN wheels run just as close to the upper front suspension.

Cheers!

Alan

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
By the same topic, can you use the wider stock "alloy look" rims from a TR6 on the TR250? I have the steel rims, and sold off my Panasports to help pay for the project.