• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

[sigh] I didn't make it home

philman

Jedi Knight
Well, I didn't quite make it home with my TR7 fhc from OKC. I took the long way down through Carlsbad Caverns to I10, west to LA and up I5 intending to be home in Eugene OR today. When we got to the wife's parents home in the Bay Area it decided it didn't want to go any further. No power off idle. I'll have to go back in a month or so and trailer it home. Good thing I have a spare engine. I might have tried nursing it home, but wife has to work today so we flew home.

Previous owner had rebuilt the engine, but there is a coolant leak at the intake manifold where the thermostat bypass tube goes through the intake manifold. O-ring probably failed. This probably is the weak spot in the cooling system for TR7's.

Anyway driving through the desert at 90mph for hours probably didn't help. It ran so good, and felt good on the road. Also handled well on Guadalupe pass through slush and high winds.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sorry you didn't make it home with your new prize Phil. If I had known you were going to be in the area I might have come up in one of the spits and said hi.

MichaelF

>>No power off idle

What does that mean? It could be as simple as a torn rubber diapham in the stromberg.

You're right about the 0-ring leak. Very common. There are are 2 of them on that tube.

Did you overheat? The car actually -- you were steamed of course ...

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
MichaelF is probably right about the diaphragm; the symptom points right to that. Easy to diagnose, easy to change. Good luck.

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
I didn't run hot, I was periodially adding coolant. At first when the engine warmed up the tube sealed up and held pressure, but while at my in-laws home the coolant was coming out too quickly to risk something very bad. I now have an excuse for a week's vacation. I don't know about the carbs, when I get it home I can rebuild, it wasn't something I wanted to do on the road.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...If I had known you were going to be in the area I might have come up in one of the spits and said hi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Anyone taking a road trip should consider mentioning it to forum members. If you find yourself in Tucson during the winter months let me know and we can try to get you to some TR events or just a spin in the desert.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I wish I was going to be in Tuscon this winter instead of here.

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I was going to be in Tuscon this winter instead of here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, Walter, how do you think I feel? I used to <u>live</u> in Tucson. A thoroughly much nicer place to spend the winter than Michigan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif
Jeff

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You weren't that far from me either. I feel slighted, but will forgive you since you have shared your experience with us. Sounds like a fun trip as far as it went. Doesn't sound like a major problem, but certainly one you would want to deal with at home. How will you tow your 7? I only ask as I have towed them quite a bit and have made some mistakes and may have some insight to share. Good Luck

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
i am planning on borrowing a car trailer and trailer it home. not sure about the four speed trannys, i have been told not to tow or dolly the five speed versions.

MichaelF

I towed the 4-speed 2000 miles on a front wheel dolly behind a U-Haul truck. No problems. You can't do the same on a 5-speed unless you remove the driveshaft. You'll burn out the transmission pump otherwise.

Good luck with it! PS - Be sure to take it out of gear.

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
thanks, i thought there might be something like that with the 5 speed. although my '81 has neither tranny or engine in it right now and i'll be able to move it to my new home quite easily with a dolly. I still think I'll trailer the '76 because I'll have to cross a couple of mountain passes in the winter.