• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Won't go into gear...sigh

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, this only happened because I just ordered a $1000 digital SLR camera and I thought at the time, "Hmmmm, something will happen now that I've spent this money". And so here we are...

My 79B made a little grinding noise when I put it into reverse last week. It often is difficult to get into reverse but I usually put it into second and go back to reverse with out any prob. Judging from what others have said, that doesn't seem to be too unusual. Then yesterday, a lovely day, I was going to run an errand and take the B out. It would go into no gear at all. I called a mechanic friend who crawled up underneath and said when he looked at the slave cylinder, the piston rod was only moving forward maybe a half inch and should it do more that that?...I told him I have no idea. Added fluid to the reservoir since it looked to be a bit low but not much. I was able, however, with the engine off, able to get it to run through all gears a couple of times but don't know why. It then proceeded to just sit it in neutral and not budge.

So here I am asking what my next step should be. Should I bleed the clutch and how hard is this? I will say that when I got under the car and put my hand on the boot of the slave cylinder, I got a little bit of fluid on my hand when my friend depressed the clutch.

This is my first manual transmission car in the first place so it's not as though I know very much about the ways of wayward clutches and stuff...but this is why I have AAA.

Thanks for any input!

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
By the way, the little grinding noise I heard as I put the B into reverse the week before was a new sound and not something I had ever had before.

Just wanted to clarify!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It ~sounds~ as if the clutch slave or master have worn out. Slave first (as it's easier to get to) since you found fluid behind the boot. But it would be prudent to do both. Rebuild kits should be available thru your local NAPA store. If you're not comfortable pulling it apart, ask around the local MG club for a reputable shop in your area ~familiar~ with MG's. If you ARE willing to tackle it on your own, we'll walk thru the proceedure here.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
You're the best! I'll start doing a little research..

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just a word of caution here: It could also be the throw-out bearing. If that's the case it will require an engine/gearbox R&R. Just so ya know.

And Basil's the one who's "the best". He makes this possible. All I'm doin' is moochin' off his hard work. :thumbsup:

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Oooo..okay, now my stomach hurts. I was happier when I thought it was going to be just the slave cylinder. Would I be better off to just have it towed to "The Man" or is three any way to know for sure that it is the slave cylinder?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Perhaps. A two person job, but:

A "pedal depressor" sitting in, an inspector with a ruler under the car to measure the slave cylinder travel.

Have the pedal person depress the clutch to the floor ONE stroke from completely released and measure where the slave stops. Note it, then have the pedal released and pumped quickly thru a few strokes and held down. Measure the slave travel again. If the distance of the slave travel increases or the fork arm perceptibly moves back toward the cylinder the hydraulics are the likely culprit. If you have the same travel on each of these "tests" there may be more to it than hydraulics.

Let us know how that goes.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
How far out should out should the rod be moving?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Won't matter. If it goes out further on the multi-pump trial, that'd be how far it should go. Pro'lly an inch or so.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Made an appointment with "The Man" this morning. We'll go in on Friday...sigh.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
While you are under there, have a look at the actuator rod. Mine was giving me a problem shifting, but after bleeding the system with no effect, I took out the rod, and found the hole in it had elongated, causing the clutch to not fully disengage. Simple fix once I found the problem.

Keep us informed as to your progress.

wdp

Just had the same problem with my B and it was the slave cylinder. The rubber on mine was ballooned out it was so full of fluid.
Got a new slave cylinder, moved the bleeder to the correct location (top of cylinder, they're shipped with the bleeder where the hose goes). Filled the cylinder with fluid with an eyedropper through the hose hole and then installed. Makes bleeding much easier with it pre-filled

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good point, Ron. I have a "collection" of rods and pins worn to useless. The other place to check is under the cover on the pedalbox for wear in the pedal/clevis/rod at the master cylinder.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
I am so hoping it is the slave cylinder. There are some things I know I can work on to some extent but the thought of working on it myself and then not being able to go into gear again in traffic is a little scary. I'd rather have "The Man" check it all out for me. I am so used to the way my clutch feels I wouldn't know how other cars feel, but "The Man" has driven it with me as the passenger and said it ran great...the clutch feels to me the same as it did then. I'll have AAA come get it on Friday and take it over to the shop. The thought of it being a throw out (or throw "up") bearing is somewhere in the back of my mind but not much...am trying to think positively!

On a lighter note, my $1000 digital SLR is coming tomorrow...I can take a lovely photo of the B as it drives off with the AAA man.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What'd ya get?

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
A Nikon D80 w/Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S & 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens.

I did some photography and videography in Africa and Peru last year for a non-profit. I'll be going to Guatemala in June to do the same type of work and will be going back to Africa to do a DVD for the orphanage there in Malawi. Here are some links to the photos in both places. And some pics of my B's restoration!

https://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/560675152kznYou
https://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/560337730yeJdal
https://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/423417750GzHUUt;jsessionid=abcXnFw7GiBV141AEDONr

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great stuff, M!

The Peru shots reminded me of our trips to Ecuador a few years back. Looking forward to returning before too long...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Seeing those, my prediction is you'll have the 18-55 on the body a majority of the time. Great "people work"!! Thanks for sharing.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Well, we were towed off on Tuesday. The master cylinder and slave cylinder will be replaced. It will be interesting to see how much different the clutch will feel now! Should get it back by the first of the week...so glad it wasn't the throw out bearing!!

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Ah, got it back from "The Man" yesterday! It feels so different that I need to go for a drive early Saturday when no one else is on the road and get the feel for the clutch now that all is well again. It goes into gear so smoothly that I now know what I was missing!!!