• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A I just "won" the TR3 grab bag on E Bay

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I needed the (what appears to be) nearly new rocker cover for my post 18000 57. I don't need the walnut shift knob or the 2 "TRIUMPH" letter sets. What I need to know is what models fit my excellent TR3B / TR4 rocker cover without the breather port. From looking at the various catalogs, I can't determine what TR4 models used the cover without the breather. I will soon be putting my own grab bag on E Bay to offset my cost and I would like to have an accurate description of what models use this cover. I refuse to "TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR4, TR4A Valve Cover etc,etc"

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good for you! I find it incredibly annoying when sellers list applications that are clearly wrong. What else are they lying about?

My SPC lists 3 different rocker covers for the TR4, apparently only 304677 "Fitted up to Engine CT14233E only" does not have a breather port or plug for same. According to Piggott, the second run of TR3B also used the TR4 rocker cover, with the fill port to the rear, which I assume would also be the early one without the port or plug.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Your description of the valve cover did not include the presence or absence of the brass bolt at the top /center of the cover. This is the cover that was used on the TR3B's that have the commission prefix of TCF and the early TR4's. How late they went I do not know, but my two TR4's which are lower than CT20700 both have the cover with the brass bolt just like the late TR3B's.
Charley

OP
B

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So it appears to be a fairly limited run. Late TR3B and early TR4. I wonder how this ended up on my car. I bought my car on E Bay over 9 years ago. It was vintage raced in the 70s, I have pictures and dash plaques. The seller was also offering a Judson Supercharger for Triumph on a separate auction. My car came mostly unassembled. One of the boxes had a very fat cogged belt which I assumed was for a supercharger (or snowmobile, I guess) Upon disassembly, I had stock 83mm pistons and liners and a new 89mm Wiseco piston and LA Sleeve kit which I installed. I also put in a mild street cam from British Parts NW. They could not use my cam core because they pointed out it was a Kastner regrind. So Randall, and anyone else, would you have needed a rear filler port TR4 rocker cover to install a Judson Supercharger?

OP
B

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There is no brass bolt top/center. Its exactly like a TR3 with the filler port to the rear.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[Some interesting posts on this topic from another forum at: https://triumphregister.lefora.com/re...reply-24019491

That site provided a lot of information but of course no conclusion. So we just have to rack it up to one of those Triumph mysteries.

So bnw that is why people list things for sale by what they fit on rather than what a Concours owner would put on their car.
Charley

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I was a contributor to that other conversation, and in fact wound up selling a non brass plug TR4 cover to the other poster in that thread and the km/hr speedo to a former BCF contributor - definitely no definitive conclusion I agree, but I prefer the theory of the brass plug was for US bound cars to accomodate a pcv valve that never happened - and the parts i had were from an early European destination TR4. Thats my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.