• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

@$!&^%#*!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didn't you tell me...

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
Keoke, or any of you all-seeing, all-knowing, omnipotent healey gods!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Why didn't any of you tell me the steering columnn tube for adj. steering is about 4" shorter than the non-adj. steering??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

I just spent a lot of time cleaning up and priming the steering shaft tube and gear box of my replacement one (recall original one is bent) before i realized "hey, i don't remember that much steering shaft sticking out the end on my other one". /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif

Ouy Vay!

back to the ol' drawing board!

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello,

I think it was your post of approx a month ago with the pictures, which were showing the difference in length between the adj and the non adjustable steering column.

kind regards

Harry

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Tim,

The differences were rather thoroughly discussed here:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/358141#Post358141
Did you not notice we advised that the adjustable column would not be suitable for your car? Your pic even showed the adjustable model with several inches of the shaft sticking out. I don't know of any easy way out of the problem. A longer outer column would work but I believe it is riveted and/or maybe braised to the steering box. Not easy to change.

Good luck,
D

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Tim,

Maybe you can consider the possibility to convert it to an adjustable steering wheel. Don't know if you have the original trafficator for a non adj steering wheel but these are not so easy to find the other way around is more common and thus more cheaper

Good luck

Harry

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
Hi guys,

I hope you all know i was only kidding at the start of this post!! I wasn't trying to be snide or rude.

Yes, i noted the differences from the post linked to above. I'm not trying to use the adj. steering. Whether it was an assumed given, an implied or out right stated fact... i did not pick up on the fact that the actual steering column tube - the tube attached to the gear box - was shorter than the non-adj. steering one. The steering shafts (what the steering wheel goes on) are actually within a 1/4" of each other lengthwise, its just the tube that is about 4" shorter.

I fully understood the differences regarding the actual splined steering shafts, just not the tubes they reside in.

Please know that i don't speak in simple descriptions to insult any ones intelligence, rather because i am not always clear on the actual part name that may be common to you guys.

For example what Moss lists as the "steering column" is what i have been referring to as the "steering shaft" (the part the steering wheel goes on) since there is no referenced part name for the tube that that piece goes in.

EDIT: i do see now where in the post linked to above i did refer to what i am now calling the steering shaft as the steering column. i apologize for any confusion.
thanks.
tim

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
now, looking back at these picture from the other post... i see that it was in front of my face the whole time. I just didn't know enough about the differances bewtween the adj. and non-adj. steerings to know what i was looking at.

DSC02598.jpg

DSC02599.jpg

now knowing that the steering columns (correct Moss part name) are the same length, its obvious that the tubes are shorter...i don't hink i ever had reason the measure the columns side by side. Kinda wish i had...

well as my signature says below...

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Good time to point out that the upper part of the tube is where the felt goes, if you use it.

Don't really know what to suggest. You could try to swap the outer tubes but I think they will be very hard to get out of the boxes. Converting to adjustable would require widening the slot in the dash & would end up non standard. Really sorry you are having trouble, but I don't know how to help.

I think you said the original was "bent", could it be straightened?

Put a cuffed extension on the outer tube?

Stop & get the correct parts?
D

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
i think the tube could be straightened out with some patience...which is what I'm going to have to do know that I've learned so much about BN2 steering differences. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif
WOT ! in the world be going on in this place I knew it has been far too quite on this forum and the /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif was about to get loose. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Well Tim, it seems like you still caught between the rock and a hard place. I think the most beneficial approach to the problem is to place the purchased box back on E-bay and source the correct part for your car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

However, here is a random thought. Since all tubing comes in telescoping sizes. The next size up tube could be procured. The short steering column tube is then cut in a non compromising position and is extended to the proper length using the new tube as a joiner. Securing the pieces together might use a light brazing technique.--Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cowboy.gif

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
You could shorten the shaft by cutting it and welding it back on.

Some have cut the shaft on an angle and wrapped the shaft with a stiff "fence type of material" and welded the fence to the two ends. In case of a frontal accident it keeps the steering shaft from speering you in the chest.

As you can tell I've never done this but perhaps someone else has and can report what type of material they used and how it was done.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Before shortening anything, check the steering wheel to windscreen clearance. The original wheel was pretty close as it is. The adjustable type makes up the outer column length difference with an additional upper section.
D