• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ms Triss is home again.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And Ms Triss is home from storage again. Took two tries this year. (Note to self next year bring a can of gas also) - I store the car in a condo garage of the Sister in law of a friend. Charged up and reinstalled the battery and strongly turning over but no love. I almost wonder if someone drained the tank over the winter. Certainly, second try, a gallon or so of fresh gas and some starter fluid and we had lift off!

This year (as every year it seems) is to get her reliable. I still think the mixture is wrong and there is something draining the battery - but happy she is in the garage. Would also note that yesterday was 'drive your British car day' (at least in the UK) so I got to do that some - even if just the 12 miles home :D

Last edited:
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1650892782549.png

Scargo

Country flag
That's quite an interesting and personalized Midget, with the later model chrome bumper, old style grill, lack of side marker lights and the beehive turn signals. Show us more of this custom creation.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That's quite an interesting and personalized Midget, with the later model chrome bumper, old style grill, lack of side marker lights and the beehive turn signals. Show us more of this custom creation.
well spotted.

1976 California Car - I am the third owner and got it in Florida so hardly any rust.

started in my care like this (2004)
1650941899814.png

1650941989177.png

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Had it converted to chrome bumper/ side lights deleted/ reverse lights deleted/ and as spotted 72-74 bumpers and 63? grill. Painted Old English White (98 MGF actually)

1650942119350.png

1650942142672.png

1650942163248.png

you can just see the harley stainless steel muffler and motorcycle signal used as a reverse light - and the aston gas cap.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1650942248659.png

wood wheel, new gear knob, deleted the head rests, red carpet interior

1650942398383.png

of course a suitcase to store the parts that fall off

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
1650942512716.png

Engine is stock - except a delco alternator and an HS4 carb from an MGB. And of course two years ago I let significant smoke out of the wire harness - which is now mostly sorted.

that's about it. Thanks for your interest.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You really did a great job with that car.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You really did a great job with that car.
Thanks - It is getting to the point where I need to be thinking of redoing some (it's been about 15 years - yikes!). Wiring on the top of the list and this year getting the mixture right. I have new rims that are about 2/3 refinished. There are various paint chips though I am not too worried about them.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
When I pulled my spark plugs, I noticed far more carbon fouling on Cyl 1 & 2 than 3 & 4 (counting from the radiator back) which was showing signs of running lean. I leaned out the mixture on the front carb, increased the mixture on the rear carb and stumbled across a near perfect mixture. The car is running a little rich right now, but the balance between the two carbs is better than I've had it before.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
When I pulled my spark plugs, I noticed far more carbon fouling on Cyl 1 & 2 than 3 & 4 (counting from the radiator back) which was showing signs of running lean. I leaned out the mixture on the front carb, increased the mixture on the rear carb and stumbled across a near perfect mixture. The car is running a little rich right now, but the balance between the two carbs is better than I've had it before.
excellent - I only have the one carb and I really need to take the time to adjust it properly (I know because it takes so much time to turn an SU nut a few flats :rolleyes2: ) I bought a new air filter unit at the end of the season as I suspect the old one is part of the problem. OTOH it is 32 deg - on April X#$%^28th! so, no rush I suppose. :mad:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Figured I might as well update here. As some of you will be aware I let a considerable amount of smoke out of the wire harness about 2-3 years ago. As far as I knew I had repaired all the wires but, battery was discharging over the course of a week. I was prepared to buy a new harness (or more likely make one as I am cheap and the '76 harnesses have waaay to many wires.

At any rate I found a couple of youtube videos on parasitic battery draw - the most useful here:

Useful because he has a Harbor Freight Multi meter - as do I.

Today was the day. Hooked it up and immediately saw a draw of .35. As per the video I started pulling fuses, and, not surprisingly, the first one (purple wires) and the meter dropped to zero. Tested the rest and sure enough. Well thinks I, there are two purple spade connectors, if I disconnect one, it can help me narrow further. So I pulled the top wires (two on the plug) and immediately it went to zero. Wow! that was quick. Plugged it back in and, nothing, no numbers. My current theory is that it was grounding a bit or more likely come corrosion on the plug causing some resistance. So, cautiously optimistic that this could work and that it sometimes is better to be lucky than good.

Will keep you posted but, in the meantime it is running, not perfectly but so much better than last year. Will be checking mixture next.

Oh and 4 gallons of shell Vtech (no ethanol) = $40! yikes. Thank goodness for a small car.

:cheers: