• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ms Triss's trip today

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
She has to be certified but before that still had to clear Canadian Customs. when we moved back to Canada in '06 she was on the moving truck in pieces and I forgot to declare her at the border. went to the local airport a month later and they said I should wait till she was done as they had to see the VIN on the car. got a tow truck - brought her to the airport today.

Customs guy #1 "I've never had this before - goes to customs lady #2

Custom's lady #2 "I've never had this before = goes to customs lady #3.

Customs lady #3 "sir we need a receipt." answer, "I don't have a receipt, I was given the car. But I do have the ownership in my name."

"well we need a receipt."

"I don't have a receipt, but this (produce temporary ownership given when I transferred car) is what I have. Looks enough like a receipt, one hurdle cleared.

"you didn't declare it when you came?" No, I forgot. But this is what they told me to do" (Show her the bill of lading from the move with the customs stamps.)

"but how do we know it's the same car? the VIN isn't on the bill of lading."

"But I have the ownership and the car is outside with the VIN on it."

"what do you do for a living?" "I'm a Pastor." "So, you're not in the car business?" "no, it's my car"

"Oh, but the car was in pieces?" "Yes - I produce pictures."

(looks at pictures.) But since it was apart it isn't us, it's the Department of Transport." "No, it's you" (Produce email from DOT confirming this."

"But you didn't do it right." (getting sharp now) "Yes I did, I did exactly what I was told."

"Oh, well, let us check."

all walk off, "wait a minute" says I, "could someone please come look at the VIN on the car so I can send the truck on its way?" "Oh, OK"

Customs officer comes out - half the airport - security and pilots (it's a small airport) gathered around the car.

Officer climbs up on flatbed - "nice car." looks at VIN. "so, it was made in the UK?" "yes."

"you have a nice hobby."

returns to office.

I send off tow truck - return to office - Officer number 1 says, wait a few minutes. comes back. "what is the make of the car?" "it's an MG." "Does MG stand for anything?" "yes, Morris Garages but it's called an MG." "just MG?" "Yes, like BMW or VW." "Oh, and the model?" "It's a Midget." "that's a funny name, but it looks very stylish." "thank you"

"It was made in the UK?" "yes" "I can't remember is it left or right hand drive?" (what the $%^& does this have to do with the permit?" - inside voice) "it's left hand drive, most Midgets were exported to North America." "Oh, that explains it."

And, anticlimactically stamps the form and hands it to me, no fees no nothing - argggh! I hate beaurocracy

So, she's a legal alien - has her papers but can't work (drive) yet.

Then went to the shop where she as been dropped off - an actual MG shop. The tow truck driver had treated her as well loading as if it was his own car, to the point that when he dropped it off, he found a bolt and one drop of oil on the flatbed and wanted to make sure I knew.

Shop owner said it was the prettiest Midget he had ever seen. said most he knew, people bought, got started restoring or even got running and sold them on. It was nice to hear.

Everything else being equal, I should be driving next week.

Oh, and as she was being loaded, the neighbour's 3 year old came out to see the tow truck & car - Mom even took a picture for is scrapbook - he gets a ride later.

will post tow truck pics later

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cool, I'm glad it worked out.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
lbc_newbie said:
You can spin a yarn, JP. Sure you're not from the South? Great story.

lived in the south for 4 1/2 years but more to the point, what part of preacher don't you understand? Darn tootin' I can spin a yarn, it's what I do
grin.gif
:angel:

bugimike

Yoda
:lol: :lol: Amen!! Good story and I'll be looking forward to the pix!!! :thumbsup:

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Great story JP, and I know you're glad to have that bit of government work out of the way. Now on to getting her running proper and enjoying for the season.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great story, and glad it all worked out in the end. Nothing like a trip through the bureaucracy!

pakiwi

John,
That is an interesting story. I am glad that all worked ok. There was a time when I lived in NZ that if you wanted something Notarized, you could go to the local Judge, Dr or Pastor. I guess those times are no longer true.
U.I.O.G.D.
AJ

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Wow! That's quite an adventure! Glad everything worked out. Good luck!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I surly enjoyed that JP. Memories is what it is all about.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
JPSmit said:
Oh, and as she was being loaded, the neighbour's 3 year old came out to see the tow truck & car - Mom even took a picture for is scrapbook - he gets a ride later.
I took my 8 year old son (who loves the Midget) out for ice cream. We got a spot right in front of the door, very busy place. We got seats outside by the front door. We had a riot watching everyone's reaction to Midget, kids universally love the thing. Adults either like it or scoff at it. Two guys paused a second, one said something about 'tiny useless thing", then they both walked over to a newer mini pickup and ooed and ahhhed over it....no accounting for taste I guess. I just watched the gleam in my son's eye as people admired it. At one point he had to go over and fuss with it just so everyone would know it was "his".

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
jvandyke said:
...Two guys paused a second, one said something about "tiny useless thing"....

Some people "get it," some don't.

bugimike

Yoda
And those that don't invariably are not "drivers"! :rolleyes:
Some people don't know "fun" when it's staring right at them!! :jester:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Dropped by the mechanics today. This guy is thorough - topped up the diff even. Of course then I told him I had drained it partially so it wouldn't leak/ spray - so he's going to re-drain it.

Told me the car had been finished to a very high standard :thankyousign: but that er the front calipers were reversed :blush: :wall: oops. traded left for right and all better now.

He had a Spitfire/ Rolls/ His own MGB in the shop - last week another B and a 120 Jag - cool!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JP, reversed. That's a good trick. You are to be commended as the first person on the forum to admit to this one.

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
He is a pastor,after all,Jack. :devilgrin: :jester:

JP,your story on the government stuff reminded me of coming to the US. I went to social security for a number,was told I needed to have a drivers licence,so of to LAdot for that,to be told I had to have a soc sec #.And so,it was back to soc sec,who gave me a letter for LAdot.It is fun running around government depts., :devilgrin: :jester:

Your car is a little gem!!! :thumbsup:

Stuart. :cheers:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
jvandyke said:
JPSmit said:
I took my 8 year old son (who loves the Midget) out for ice cream. We got a spot right in front of the door, very busy place. We got seats outside by the front door. We had a riot watching everyone's reaction to Midget, kids universally love the thing. Adults either like it or scoff at it. Two guys paused a second, one said something about 'tiny useless thing", then they both walked over to a newer mini pickup and ooed and ahhhed over it....no accounting for taste I guess. I just watched the gleam in my son's eye as people admired it. At one point he had to go over and fuss with it just so everyone would know it was "his".

At a recent car show of mostly hot rods I was amazed at the cold shoulder the hot rodders gave the BE. The kids were a different story. They LOVED it! Many wanted their pics taken with the car. The parents were usually shocked when I offered
to let their kids sit in it for pics. They told of how so many
people freaked when their kids even got close to the other cars. We had a waiting line for pics.
Start 'em early I say. Maybe there were some future LBC nuts created in my driver's seat that day. They all wanted to wear
the racing belts for their pics. :jester:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, the kids really go for LBCs. Miss Agatha at a show will always have four or five folks around her all day.

I also make the drivers seat availble for Pics and testing for kids. What a joy it is to provide a bit of pleasure for them at the nasty old car show they got drug to by their dad usually. Sometimes we even test the horn.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
It's that Stuart Little influence. As I recall the mouse drove a BE. They don't realize it but they were exposed to BE's at an early age and they don't even remember.