• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ms Triss is better not best

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, I decided it is the later half of August and I really ought to have my car on the road. Up until now I have only driven her twice, once to get her out of storage and the same night to show off to a friend that she was out of storage. I then put her on jackstands to change the oil pump. That was in May. In my defense it has been a lousy summer till now with more rain and cold than we needed - plus the neverending bathroom reno of doom. So, bought a new pump - 1500 yes, but for a Spitfire. No they don't sell another. Oh well, I'll just McGyver the two together as it is only the input that is different - no, the castings are different too. So, lapped the old pump, reassembled, changed the oil, added Lucas and got about 10 more pound of pressure - so I am pretty happy. Fixed a stripped bolt, checked connections, changed plugs and away I went. Had a lovely drive tonight - no long but perfect weather wise. Sadly it seems to be shifting harder - the clutch seems soft and, I think the transmission has lost oil through the leaking rear seal - quite a puddle actually when I backed it out of the garage. So, in between short jaunts I need to top up the gearbox (a PITA in a 1500) and re bleed the clutch - the MC weeps fluid - annoying.

Still a list of small jobs (neverending) but I might even try to make a cruise night.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm not familiar with the 1500 layout but on my Mk2 with a five speed I just put a length of plastic tubing into the fill hole and ran the tubing up to the engine compartment. I put a funnel in the end of the tubing and slowly poured the oil into it. It will only go slow since it is so viscous but patience helps.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
What weight oil do you put in the tranny? The manual that I have says standard motor oil. Also, I have gone through the British Leyland Workshop Manual backwards and forwards and cannot find where it says what the tranny's oil capacity is.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
What weight oil do you put in the tranny? The manual that I have says standard motor oil.

Transmissions with the A-series engine (948 - 1275) use motor oil. The transmission behind the 1500 is a different box and may use something else.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Transmissions with the A-series engine (948 - 1275) use motor oil. The transmission behind the 1500 is a different box and may use something else.

Wow. I have the A-engine. Any suggestions on viscosity? I'm running 20W50 in the crankcase.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wow. I have the A-engine. Any suggestions on viscosity? I'm running 20W50 in the crankcase.

I ran 20W50 in the last ribcase I had in my previous Bugeye. Same as the engine (both were Valvoline VR1).

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yep...20W50 engine oil will work fine in a 948, 1098 or 1275 trans (ribcase). Straight 30W is fine too. Some racers run ATF since it's thinner but still has the ability to provide gear lube. I'm running 10W-30 in the trans of my racer. For the 1500 trans, you have to run gear oil such as straight 90W or 80W-140.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ok. Got it. Last noob question: What's the capacity of the 1275 transmission (how many quarts)?

Country flag
Should be about 1 1/2 quarts. Try not to overfill, easy to say, hard to do :smile:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
9/10's IIRC

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There is a fill plug if you pull the shift lever cover off. Be careful not to cross thread when you reinstall.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Mission accomplished. On first inspection, the oil didn't look so bad and the level was pretty good. Then when I wiped the oil off on a rag it left a dirty residue. Time to change the fluid! It took about a quart and a half to refill. I managed to nail the level perfectly.

Jim, I saw what you meant about cross threading the fill plug. It's really easy to get the wrong angle on the fill plug. I also discovered that when you use a socket wrench with a 2 inch extension, it makes it the ratchet the perfect length to snap off the hood release button while trying to free up the fill plug. I'll try some epoxy to get that back together. That's the beauty of the Spridget, "learning experiences" are usually not overly costly or fatal.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
I need to top up the gearbox (a PITA in a 1500)

Hey, JP -- I don't know if they have Sta-Lube gear oil in the Great White North, but if you can get hold of the quart bottle (85W-90 with the built-in pump; the bottle and pump are also sold separately) it makes filling the 1500 tranny a LOT easier. I don't even have to jack the car up. The nozzle of the pump is serrated and lodges in the fill hole, and the hose is long enough that you can easily hold the bottle and operate the pump without wedging yourself under the car. You can also brace the pump against the trans body and push up on the bottle to pump. Pump it in until it burps back out the fill hole. Easy! The hardest part is the fill plug itself. Also works great with the diff.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I took the Sprite out tonight after changing the fluid in the transmission and differential. Big difference! The driveline is quieter and the shifts are smoother. Off to the next item on the to-do list!