• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB An old friend comes home - I have an MGB again

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Of the 25 cars and motorcycles I've owned over the last 20 odd years, there's only one I've regretted selling. A RHD 1970 MGB that JP found for me in Canada. Sold it to a good friend here in Utah after I bought Penny back in 2013, and have regretted it ever since. The fellow I sold it to loved it as well, but for a variety of reasons hasn't been able to drive it much. So I mentioned to him back in March that I'd be happy to buy it back if and when he was ready.

Well, he let me know tonight that he was ready. Money's been sent, the deal is done. Will likely take a week or two to pick the car up as the clutch is gone (hydraulics likely, it had issues when I sold it) so AAA to the rescue. I'm out of space, out of resources, out of time, and likely out of my mind. Doesn't matter, I'm happy to have her on the way home again.

No one believes me (and with my history I can't blame anyone) but I'm done buying and selling for a long time. My dear wife understands this purchase, but I'm definitely OUT of indulgences.

Took this photo shortly after I bought the car (the first time) back in 2011.

mgbafterrain.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Drew, I don't know what to say. On the one hand, it is a lovely car and you deserve to be reunited. On the other hand the number of times we have heard.... :rolleyes: :nonono:

never mind.

Congrats :driving: :cheers: :banana: just glad you're not addicted. :jester:

seriously there are so much worse ways to spend your money.

Glad for you!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There is no medical term for this disease known as, mgmagnitizum, no known cure, with the exception of buying another one. It's a problem we have learned to except over the years and just put up with it. Some side effects of the CURE are, dirty hands, scraped knees, smashed fingers, long hours on a cold floor, learning new additions to the English language and deleted bank accounts. Shows the true meaning of mental illness and mental richness over poverty. Sometimes I wish I never heard of them! Hmmmmm, nice looking TD on Craig's list, Oh brother, here I go again! :rolleyes: :stupid:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew, I don't know what to say. On the one hand, it is a lovely car and you deserve to be reunited. On the other hand the number of times we have heard.... :rolleyes: :nonono:
!

Too true, I do have a messy car history behind me. If I can go the next 4 or 5 years without buying or selling a car (even my daily driver) it'll be some sort of new record. Heck, if I can even go ONE year without a purchase or sale it'll be a miracle. Still, that is the plan.

Though maybe I could trade the Jeep for a RHD Toyota Landcruiser... :grin::rolleyes::wall::nonod:

Hmmmmm, nice looking TD on Craig's list, Oh brother, here I go again! :rolleyes: :stupid:

The first part of my plan is to STOP LOOKING. Time to ween myself off Bring a Trailer.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Landcruiser would be excellent! and then maybe a BMW motorcycle! :devilgrin:

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Drew,
You are incurable! Three LBC's is a good number, though, and this looks like a nice car.

Your wife is a saint...

Keith

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Drew
I TOLD you that you needed to build a bigger garage when you did it! :smile:
BillM

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So Drew. I still have pics of that car when I went to see it for you
Does this mean they are worth something, or just contributions to MG schizophrenia?
Dave
P.S. Good to see it back in the fold. It is a nice car

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There's got to be a 12-step program for someone suffering from your disease - RHDOEWLBC :jester: BaT's like crack. If I had Leno's money, I could get myself in serious trouble buying what I see on there every day.

RHDOEWLBC'ers Anonymous. Doesn't really roll off the tongue now does it. :grin:

Drew
I TOLD you that you needed to build a bigger garage when you did it! :smile:
BillM

No question, I made a mistake there. We're trying to solve that very issue right now by moving -- this time there will be room for a large shop. Luckily I have a good friend with a nice barn who has offered me a little storage while I sort things out.

Landcruiser would be excellent! and then maybe a BMW motorcycle! :devilgrin:

Seems like a familiar scenario somehow... though I am now off motorcycles. Happier on 4 wheels, or 16 if you count all of them including the Jeep.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew,
You are incurable! Three LBC's is a good number, though, and this looks like a nice car.

Your wife is a saint...

If I don't prove to be curable I may prove to be divorced! I know the car well from the three seasons I drove it, it's a good one. If I announce I'm buying or selling anything else anytime soon, you have my permission to come to my house and slap me.

So Drew. I still have pics of that car when I went to see it for you
Does this mean they are worth something, or just contributions to MG schizophrenia?
Dave
P.S. Good to see it back in the fold. It is a nice car

Don't know if they're worth something or not, but they were sure helpful to see when I bought the car the first time. Only old car I've ever bought that actually worked out of the box. Okay, the exhaust did fall off, but that was a quick fix. :grin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
He's going to need that bigger garage to live in when he gets thrown out of the house. :devilgrin:

If/when I build the new shop I'll make sure to keep some space clear for emergency living quarters. :grin:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Seems like a familiar scenario somehow... though I am now off motorcycles.

don't even whisper it out loud - it will come back to haunt you!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
don't even whisper it out loud - it will come back to haunt you!

It's not necessarily a permanent decision, but after my last off (when someone pulled out in front of me) I really lost my enthusiasm for riding. Just wasn't fun anymore. Riding has too many inherent risks if you're not really enjoying it to the fullest.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Ditto the reason for me selling my bike. The problem with riding is : once you are enjoying it to its fullest you aren' t paying attention enough !

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It's not necessarily a permanent decision, but after my last off (when someone pulled out in front of me) I really lost my enthusiasm for riding. Just wasn't fun anymore. Riding has too many inherent risks if you're not really enjoying it to the fullest.

I must say that while I have kept my motorcycle license - the advent of kids has taken a lot of the joy out of riding - that and octogenarians in Lincolns and Caddys - I wouldn't say no to a proper classic but other than that, the Midget more than scratches my itch for wind in my hair.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My main problem with riding (I do still have my motorcycle endorsement, and will keep it) is that I just don't have enough time to ride enough. Riding well takes practice and lots of mileage, and I just wasn't getting out to ride enough. Riding the way I wanted to isn't a good idea without sharp skills, so the LBCs are a better when-I-can fun vehicle.

Was a really hard decision as I loved riding, but it had stopped being fun. May get back to it someday, but not anytime soon.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag