• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

seat belt intallation in late BJ8

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Does anyone have pictures of the inertia unit put into a late BJ8? I am trying to decide where to mount the unit, back wall?

thanks

Jerry
BJ8 1967

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

Jerry, you better tell them the exact year as the ,mountings took a decidedly different design in 1967.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jerry said:

thanks for the reminder.

Jerry
OK that year has a single threaded hole in the rear wheel arch. This location is closed with a plastic plug. If you for some reason do not see it inside the car look up under the rear fencer you will see a slightly recessed round plate. The plate is not removable but identifies the mounts location inside the car. P.S. if that plate is not there it is not a 67--Keoke--It would not be the first time--- :laugh:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Here's that '67 mounting point.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have that point. I was just not sure that is where the retractor attaches. Thanks for the info.

Jerry

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jerry -

The BJ8 never originally came with inertial reels installed because they interfere with the back seat fold down shelf.

The only way to get them to work is to mount the inertia reels on or near the floor in the back, and then bolt a belt guide somewhere behind the rear seat (you need the guide because with the inertial reel on the floor, you won't have proper protection against forward impact).

Alternatively, just use standard shoulder belts - not as comfortable but much safer to use and much easier to set up. This is also what went in the cars originally.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes but that is a minor point IMOP. If you want the retractable seat belt upgrade over the virtually unusable rear seats you can configure your car with the luggage rack down and locked. None of the car's other comfort functions { Hood, Tonneau or Hood boot} will be compromised and the retractable seat belt will perform its intended function---Keoke

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I like this idea. I don't know anyone that can sit in the back seat anyway. I like the idea of inertia reels because they can keep you from hitting that steering shaft in a front end accident.

Jerry
BJ8

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
standard shoulder belts will offer the same protection....

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Your grandchildren will love that back seat. They think the whole car was made just for them.
I find the whole rear arrangement very well designed and usefull. Nice looks with the seat back up and I use the luggage platform all the time when traveling.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Whats married got to do with it? Hormones don't care. Don't ask me how I know.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well all I can say is it was the 122S that did it You should ah bought a Healey.---Keoke-- :wink:

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hangtown Healey said:
Your grandchildren will love that back seat. They think the whole car was made just for them.
I find the whole rear arrangement very well designed and usefull. Nice looks with the seat back up and I use the luggage platform all the time when traveling.

My BJ8 is going through restoration right now, and I'm going to rig up four point belts in the back for my little kids! It should work for a good 5-7 years until they get too big!

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Does anyone have a picture of seat belts for the rear seats? I am about to start the interior of my 64 BJ8 and would like mount some for the grand kids. I am thinking of something that would be easily removable. Thanks and have a good day!

John

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
John_Progess said:
Does anyone have a picture of seat belts for the rear seats? I am about to start the interior of my 64 BJ8 and would like mount some for the grand kids. I am thinking of something that would be easily removable. Thanks and have a good day!

John
What kind of mounts do you have for the seat belts?? Does the mounting holes on the side panels have a single bolt attachemnt or do they have an attachment that would be used for a front seat harness such as two bolts. The BJ8's had two different kinds.
Patrick

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John_Progess said:

John

I do not have a picture for you John, but here is what I have seen and I think you can visualize how to do it, First you will have to make at least one hole in the rear seat surround panel. Obviously this hole will penetrate the panel's covering. For this case you will meed a center dual locking assembly which mounts in between the seats and does not foul the luggage platform when lowered.. The belts in this case are then anchored to the Stud {s} located on the wheel arch. This is the simplest configuration I have seen. Others use three bolts in the seat surround panel. Two additional bolts plus the center locking assembly and require large fender washers fit above and below the panel as stiffeners. These bolts are located in each back corner of the panel close to the wheel arch and anchor the straps . This method provides the tightest fitting lap type belt.---Fwiw--Keoke

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Patrick,
My car is an early 64 phase I. The only studs on the rear fender wells are two 5/16" studs on each fender well that receive the chrome acorn nuts.

Keoke,
About how high can the dual lock assembly stick up above the seat sourround? On my car the entire rear seat back/luggage platform was missing. I have a pattern so I can make one. Thanks for the help and have a good day!

John

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi John,
For the rear seatbelts, I only have the location for the center two mounts. For some reason, none of my restoration photos even have a rusty hole where I'd think the outer bolts would be. If you look at the seat surround from under the car, you may still have some welded nuts that the seatbelt bolts thread into.

Attachments

• 15842.jpg
    15842.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 15843.jpg
    15843.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 320