• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ride Height

r67cat

Country flag
This past winter I rebuilt the front end of my 67 Mark 1A. Replaced the bushings with poly, new ball joints, tie rods and spring cushion( the rubber donut at the top of the spring tower). This raised the ride height up from where it was with the old spring cushion. I can't find a ride height dimension in any of my manuals to determine if the current setting is too high or if the old height was too low.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
You don't mention the condition of the old spring cushions.Were the old cushions in good shape?This is rubber and will deteriate with age such as 37 years.Do you still have 1 inch lower at the front than the rear?If you do then I would say it is right.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Later cars had a higher ride height compared to the earlier ones when new due to bumper heigth regulations of the time. It looks a little odd but that fact, combined with the smaller diameter tires of today, can leave a gap at the top.

OP
R

r67cat

Country flag
The springs were original, measured at the correct unloaded length. Would like to know what height other listers cars are at as measured at the cross member or at the front of the rocker moulding. Thanks Rick

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
3 inch clearance on the crossmember is too low.
Sorry that I can't give you the info.I just can't go out and measure anymore.The Tiger was sold this past spring and it was correct.My Lister clone's front end is barely sunbeam.The crossmember is modified to accept Mustang 2 upper amd lower A arms.Mustang springs and Mustang 2 spindles. rotors and calipers.Am using the Mustang rack and pinion.There is also the 14 x 7 rims and tires to fit. This and the 8 inch ford rear end has given me more height.I had to use longer shackles.Here we do have some high speed bumps that I had to bypass a few times as I scraped them.
The ackerman problem is also eliminated except on tight lock on the steering when I'm turning into our driveway which is inclined uphill and there are cars opposite the entrance.