• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Anyone know the "stock" ride height for a TR250?

RobT

Jedi Warrior
I have the TR250 back together and on the ground for the first time since last November. Part of the suspension rebuild, along with new trunions, ball-joints and bushes etc. was a set of matched TRF "Handling Kit" front and rear coil springs.

After installing them, and rolling the car back and forth to let the suspension "settle", the ride height on the TR seems too high. Perhaps the old springs had sagged quite a bit, but the rear end seems to have gone from lean-in (-ve camber?) to lean-out, and there is a 2+ inch gap between the top of the wheel and the guard, Measuring from the floor to the underside of the wheel guard is 29 inches.

Does anyone know the "stock" distance from floor to wheel guard? Or to the bottom of the sills? Will the springs settle futher over time?

Once again, all help much appreciated.

Rob.

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
Re: Anyone know the "stock" ride height for a TR25

According to Moss, You should have 6" ground clearence and a ride height of 4'2" Top Up and 3'10" top down. Hope this helps

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Rob:

Swing by my house in Ipswich one weekend & we'll compare! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gifI can check my 250, but don't know what PO has done to it, although I know there are new front suspension parts, but orig springs.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hi,

Not specific to TR250, but the best comparitive measurement on the Michelotti TRs seems to be at the front corners, from the bottom of the main frame rail to the ground. Should be about 6" stock. The rear is quite a bit different, tends to be a bit higher and there is a lot of variation from IRS to leaf springs and between the various springs available, leaf or coil. But again measure from the frame rails, not anywhere on the body, for the best accuracy.

It also depends hugely on how the car is laden. All the manuals specify adding weight to approximate the actual laden condition of the car, including at least a driver. Even with heavy duty/competition rated rear leaf springs, my TR4 dropped about an inch when I loaded the spare and some other things in the trunk and placed a few things on the parcel shelf. Probably not more than 125 lbs total. This is with the fuel tank empty and the roll bar removed, but a hard top fitted. Put one or two people in the car and it will sit considerably lower, I'm sure. I'm having to rethink shimming I'd planned for the rear, to lower the car. Of course, a TR250 with IRS and coils will be different than the leaf spring setup on my car, but the same need to judge the car when laden applies, I'm sure.

And, yes, the springs will seat and settle a bit after the car is on the road. I'd definitely wait until after one or two nice long drives to make judgement.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
RobT

RobT

Jedi Warrior

[ QUOTE ]
According to Moss, You should have 6" ground clearence

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Not specific to TR250, but the best comparitive measurement on the Michelotti TRs seems to be at the front corners, from the bottom of the main frame rail to the ground. Should be about 6" stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - I'm measuring 8" ground clearance with the new springs, full tank of petrol and spare wheel. I'll see if they settle down over the next week or so, otherwise I might send them back to TRF and put in stock or their low profile springs. It just looks too high. But again I'm used to seeing IRS TRs with what my father called "ducks disease" - they look bow-legged from behind.

[ QUOTE ]
Swing by my house in Ipswich one weekend & we'll compare! I can check my 250

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Gary - the TR is still not quite "road ready". I still have a few loose ends to finish up after compleating the winter works order. Its sunny and 50's outside today so I am motivated though.

BTW it looks like I beat that oil leak at the front of the block. New steel saddle, timing chain cover gaskets and seals did the trick. No more automatic frame rustproofing from there any more!

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

[ QUOTE ]
otherwise I might send them back to TRF

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh, that probably explains it. I believe TRF's "stock" coil springs are slightly longer and raise the car 1/2-1" front and rear. Yes, you might need to go to their shorter version coil springs. If those are too low, they offer aluminum shims now that can be used to adjust ride height back up a little. When satisfied with the ride height, it might be wise to have the car re-aligned front and rear.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif