• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4a ride height question

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Guys - can some one grab a measurement for the distance from the top of the front wheels to the fender opening? My gap looks big to my eye, but the car is level. It may just be my (overly)lower TR6 playing to tricks on my eyes. :laugh:

Thanks!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tom,

I'll see if I can get over to the cars for a measurement today (I need to check on some Spitfire parts if I have time), but here's a distance picture of mine after I restored it for visual comparison. This has the uprated springs that TRF supplied back in the early 1980s which were called mild competition grade and which were not supposed to change the ride height.

TR4A-31985.jpg

Scott

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Just a little less than 2.5" on my TR4, don't think a 4A would be different (but also don't know if mine is anything like correct).

JAPearce%201.JPG

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Hey Tom,

Sorry but I've got various states of tire inflation so a little hard to tell but I measured roughly 2.5"-3" between the 2 cars. Definitely take that with a grain of salt! I'd trust Geo's or other members with active cars first. :smile:

What do you have on yours? I think that you'll see some settling with time as well.

Scott

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Uh oh.... Now granted that the hood/bumpers are off and the interior is stripped but I'm at 4.75. I have stock springs in the front, BP Northwest poly bushings and spring plates all the way around. She'll settle some, but not 2 inches.

I thought it might be TR6 roll bar I fitted somehow binding the suspension but no dice, I just disconnected it and bounced her up and down and no change in ride height.

Ugh.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tom,

Spring plates? Do you mean the aluminum spacers?

I'm pretty sure those are not used at least with the springs that I got from TRF.

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Oh the rubber insulators! Looking back at my picture, I don't think I had any where near 4.75" even when the springs etc were new.

Scott

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just came in from the garage. I measured from the top of the wheel rim to the bottom lip of the front fender. I just think tire shapes and sizes introduces to many dynamics.

Anyway, on the left side I got 7.75" and on the right side I got 8.25". Running stock/original springs.

Bob
PS: edit: I have poly bushings in the front end

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Scott and Bob.

Ugh - not sure what is wrong here. I'm clearly too high in ride height.

Anything jump out at you as wrong here?

DSCN4807.jpg

DSCN4808.jpg

DSCN4806.jpg

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Here is how she was riding before. I can't make up my mind if that looks right or a bit high here too. What do you think?

1968TR4AIRS9-27-09Firstday.jpg

1968TR4AIRS9-27-09Firstday4.jpg

T

TRDejaVu

Not a 4A, but here is mine when it was nearly finished.

NearlyDone1.jpg

I'm thinking that the extra gap is partly due to the modern lower profile tires compared to the originals.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Ian,

Good point as my measurements were with original 165-15 tires although don't you aim for tires that end up with the same/similar circumference (wider but lower profile?) so the speedometer is still accurate?

Scott

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - so after studying all the pictures it does appear that her rode height - in a similar stripped condition - when I bough her was more or less correct.

Since the only thing that changes were the poly bushings I am assuming that between the a-arms, spring insulators (did I get that right this time Scott?) there is enough extra material that is not compressing to raise her up about an inch.

That seems like a stretch, but what else could it be? Ball joints wouldn't do that, would they?

I guess I could take it all apart again and turn the a-arms upside down? Or maybe the lower fulcrum bracket but I think that would result in the a-arm bolt that goes through the bracket to hit the bracket...

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
This is an old thread, but it is my old thread so I figure I can bring it back to life if only to close it out.

This is the $1,500 TR4a IRS that sat for 25 years in a car port, suspension was all goofed up with mismatched parts. When I sorted that all hot she was sitting too high, which I was bemoaning above. I swapped out the rear springs which took care of that end of the car but then she was in a tail-low stance. Not good.

The new Richard Good springs finally went in today, and as with all his stuff they were perfect. I hereby pronounce her level, lowered, and ugly, but ready for fast road use.

Thanks for all of the help and coaching along the way!

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
How much do the springs compress when the car is on the ground? anywhere near midway in the travel? Did you tighten the inner A arms up before the car was loaded?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I beg to differ about the ugly comment, paint has a little gloss and shows the cars lines well, always wanted a dark blue one. Anyway she is a beaut, if you make it prettier you will spend more time worrying about door dings and rock chips and less time having fun...