• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recommended fuel pressure

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - my Bugeye has an electronic fuel pump located in the engine compartment and it was flooding the carbs before stored her.

I bought a fuel regulator but am not sure what pressure I should restrict fuel flow to. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
set it at 3, that's gonna be about right for most carbs. which carbs do you have? that's important to specify. if your carbs are flooding the problem might be in your carbs, not the pump.

buying a pump that pumps the right pressure would be the best method, although not foolproof. i'm on my 2nd carter 4070 in a year as the first started pumping at a really high pressure somehow.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yes, 3 lbs works fine.

I have my race car set at 3 lbs.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
hopefully your regulator isn't one of the fancy round chrome ones as sold by the usual suspects. they're worthless. If you need one, get a GOOD one.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Pythias said:
hopefully your regulator isn't one of the fancy round chrome ones as sold by the usual suspects. they're worthless. If you need one, get a GOOD one.

Uh oh... It is, I wasn't aware there are issues with them. Worth trying with a 3 PSI setting?

Mio

Country flag
Yes, the chrome circular regulators do not, for the most part, enjoy a very good reputation. I had one of these regulators and found it to be less than reliable in its metering of the fuel so I opted for a Holley 12-804 regulator (1 - 4 PSI).

Fuel Pressure Regulator and Gauge

Mike

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yep, I run a Holley as well. Nearly identical to yours, Mio. The nice thing is that in the event of a fuel pump failure, ANY fuel pump can be installed, depending upon what's on the shelf in any town at any auto parts house. Important consideration for those of us driving longer distances.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Much easier to use the correct low pressure pump.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Or or or, Moss for a proper pump.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Fair point Jack, but I think Bill L. makes an interesting point. I do some touring in the cars and being able to coast into a local parts store and then power away is a nice plus...

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't remember where I found the best price. I did a Froogle search for the above mentioned Holley regulator. I added the gauge later, as they come set at the factory at about 2.5 lbs. ..

Jack makes a good point as well. If you use the correct SU pump, you don't need a regulator. At that point, cost and convenience become issues, as well as ones desire for originality.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I installed a Facet pump. It put out 3.5 PSI blocked off, which was exactly the same as the mechanical pump. Eventually, though, I had problems with it forcing fuel past the float valves, so I added the Holley regulator and lowered it to 2-2.5 PSI. The Holley regulator is a nice unit--I'm amazed that it regulates well with only 1 psi of pressure drop. Seems to stay in adjustment well, too.

I do think the arguments in favor of a generic pump, with a regulator, make a lot of sense.

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
Sarastro said:
I installed a Facet pump. It put out 3.5 PSI blocked off, which was exactly the same as the mechanical pump. Eventually, though, I had problems with it forcing fuel past the float valves, so I added the Holley regulator and lowered it to 2-2.5 PSI. The Holley regulator is a nice unit--I'm amazed that it regulates well with only 1 psi of pressure drop. Seems to stay in adjustment well, too.

I do think the arguments in favor of a generic pump, with a regulator, make a lot of sense.

I'd like to chime in on this thread rather than start a new one... Are you using a Weber carb? How can you tell what your electric fuel pump output should be? Right now, I'm getting <1.5 Quarts/minute. How do you measure this and how can you tell if the pump is or is not putting out? I'm at a lack for any tricky instruments to measure the PSI. I'm still struggling with getting this car to run. HELP!

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
You can get a gauge for measuring the pressure for a few bucks from any auto parts store (or Harbor Freight), and sometimes they are set up to measure vacuum as well. Very useful thing to have.

I'm using plain ol' H1 carbs, but I'd expect the same thing to be true of Webers. You just need enough flow to keep the float bowl full, and enough pressure to move the fuel through the lines and get it up to the carbs, which isn't much. I wrote up an article for the Wiki, under "General Technical Articles" on installing a fuel pump. It might be a little too much information, but it's there in any case.

By the way, a quart per minute is plenty of flow for these cars. Think of it this way--that's 15 gallons per hour. If you get 30 MPG, that'll support a constant speed of 450 MPH. I know, that's not enough for some of you, but for me it'll do.

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
Sarastro said:
By the way, a quart per minute is plenty of flow for these cars. Think of it this way--that's 15 gallons per hour. If you get 30 MPG, that'll support a constant speed of 450 MPH. I know, that's not enough for some of you, but for me it'll do.

Funny, I'm just trying to get it out of the garage! I'll be happy if I can go 25MPH.
:cryin: